PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian says 18 game season "a done deal"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those f'n retired Dolphins are even happier by this news, if it's true. But whatever.

Don't fix what isn't broken. 16 games is fine as is.

The quality of these games will go down because great players will miss more games.

I don't disagree with that. A 16 game season is already hard enough on the starters' bodies as it is. However, let's be honest here, each and every one of us will watch the extra games. I can see where the players are coming from, and I agree wholeheartedly with them. However, I'm not about the boycott the extra regular season games. Neither is anybody else who is honest with themselves.

The other thing to consider is whether this is simply a bluff by the owners to get a larger bargaining chip in the negotiations. Sort of a "we'll take the 18-game season off the table if the players agree to x y or z, etc".

Similar to the way a DA will add as many charges as possible to a defendant in order to bargain for a plea deal, etc.

It could backfire, though, if the union refuses to go for it.

My problem with this is these players are people, not just some nameless, faceless automatons. And there are already plenty of injuries in a 16 game season. It's not about adding drama either as the last week of last year there were about 16 gazillion different playoff scenarios that could have panned out.

This is all about money for the owners, period.

Opinions on the change itself aside, it will be interesting to see what happens to the schedule rotation with 18 games. Right now the system is basically self creating. Two games per each division opponent, a game against the same ranked teams in each division within your conference, with rotations to determine one other AFC and NFC conference schedule and home vs. road games.

With two more games, are they just going to select two conference games at random? One conference and non-conference?

My problem with this is these players are people, not just some nameless, faceless automatons. And there are already plenty of injuries in a 16 game season. It's not about adding drama either as the last week of last year there were about 16 gazillion different playoff scenarios that could have panned out.

This is nothing but hysteria from some fans. I don't mean to pick on you NS, but you were the last to post this nonsense.

The 18 game season is a total win for both sides of the labor issue. Think about what it means. First the TV revenues will go up at least 11%. That's hundreds of millions of dollars for BOTH the players and owners. Then the rosters will have to be expanded by at least 3. That's 100 new jobs that didn't exist for the players in a 16 game season. Then for the fans you not only get 2 more weeks of meaningful football, we also get 2 fewer meaningless games were players get hurt too. And season ticket holders are only now extorted for one game a year instead of 2.

Now look at the down side player will have to play 2 more games. Will injuries go up? Probably in raw numbers simply because there are more game, but will injuries in the last 2 games go up incrementally? Its doubtful. When the league went from 14-16 games the same fears were brought up, and they just didn't occur. Why would they occur now.

In those years the Pats were playing so many playoff games, did they incur more than their share of injuries because they were playing a lot of 18 game seasons? Not really.

The bottom line here is the season wouldn't have to be a day longer. Having an 18 game season wouldn't add a single practice. What it WOULD do is add about 60 more meaningful snaps for starters. If you assume the average starter plays about 60 snaps a game that plus about 50 more in the 2 preseason games that are lost that would come to 1010. Under an 18 game season he's amass 1080 or only about 7% more playing time, or about 4 plays more a game over what he's playing now.

Now my raw numbers might be off some. I'm only guestimating. But the percentages aren't

However are some possible things they could do to mitigate some of the physical issues.

1. Expand the rosters to 56....or more
2. Expand the game day rosters to 48
3. Have the first week of training camp be no pads
4. Add more scrimmages with other teams
5. Think about adding a second bye week to aid in recovery.

I still think it's a bad idea!

I don't see players making it past 10 seasons as much!

Well, since the players, fans, and media all pretty much hate the idea, why not force it through?

There had better be a sh!tload of changes to roster and injury rules.

The fans hate the idea? I sure as hell don't.

Again, unless you can prove that guys get hurt more in the regular season than the preseason, saying changing 2 preseason games into regular season is going to add more injuries just isn't factual.

what i am going to hate is what if a team clinches week 14 or 15 and now has to waste 3-4 weeks and allow other teams (jets) to sneak into the playoffs again
I agree, but that already happens all the time. So a change to 18 weeks won't solve the problem, but it won't make it any worse.

what i am going to hate is what if a team clinches week 14 or 15 and now has to waste 3-4 weeks and allow other teams (jets) to sneak into the playoffs again

I have seen this posted a couple of times and I guess I'm not completely sure I agree with it. I guess I just am not sure how often that will occur, and whether or not it will occur more or less frequently than it does now.

I guess if it became a real issue the playoff structure could always be changed, and who knows, it may be anyways to reduce the number of divisions or some such thing. To make the number of games played line up better. There seem to be an awful lot of particulars to be ironed out before it is implemented anyways.

I also think the quotes stating the fans and players don't like this aren't necessarily accurate. Most of the player quotes I have seen go something like,

"Hell I'll play more games, but they Damn well better pay me for them"

And while a majority of posters here may not like the idea, I think that may not be carried over to the average fan who doesn't follow their teams like we here do.

This is nothing but hysteria from some fans. I don't mean to pick on you NS, but you were the last to post this nonsense.

The 18 game season is a total win for both sides of the labor issue. Think about what it means. First the TV revenues will go up at least 11%. That's hundreds of millions of dollars for BOTH the players and owners. Then the rosters will have to be expanded by at least 3. That's 100 new jobs that didn't exist for the players in a 16 game season. Then for the fans you not only get 2 more weeks of meaningful football, we also get 2 fewer meaningless games were players get hurt too. And season ticket holders are only now extorted for one game a year instead of 2.

Now look at the down side player will have to play 2 more games. Will injuries go up? Probably in raw numbers simply because there are more game, but will injuries in the last 2 games go up incrementally? Its doubtful. When the league went from 14-16 games the same fears were brought up, and they just didn't occur. Why would they occur now.

In those years the Pats were playing so many playoff games, did they incur more than their share of injuries because they were playing a lot of 18 game seasons? Not really.

The bottom line here is the season wouldn't have to be a day longer. Having an 18 game season wouldn't add a single practice. What it WOULD do is add about 60 more meaningful snaps for starters. If you assume the average starter plays about 60 snaps a game that plus about 50 more in the 2 preseason games that are lost that would come to 1010. Under an 18 game season he's amass 1080 or only about 7% more playing time, or about 4 plays more a game over what he's playing now.

Now my raw numbers might be off some. I'm only guestimating. But the percentages aren't

However are some possible things they could do to mitigate some of the physical issues.

1. Expand the rosters to 56....or more
2. Expand the game day rosters to 48
3. Have the first week of training camp be no pads
4. Add more scrimmages with other teams
5. Think about adding a second bye week to aid in recovery.
Firstly...the bottom line..is the level of play of football will GO DOWN...so quality will be lower with a longer season..I think that is obvious to any REAL football fan..It's bad enough now with 16 games..the quality of play is lower with more injuries...so it's sometimes the teams with less injuries instead OF the better teams....the 16 game season is what is the norm..but it has stretched a lot...TV revenue will go up...but I wonder by how much...given contracts now..and the change of economy..I really wonder how much it will be inflated.
I am not sure how meaningful these 2 weeks will be? If teams are out of it playing terrible...2 more MEANINGLESS weeks instead. And again..how those teams PLAY in these last games..quality..GONE...
Why would they occur now?? At some point..the injuries and play will go downhill with x amount of games..it's NOT a straight line drop..but WILL fall quick at some point and the more games added..the more chance of that happening.
As far as those playoff games...and injuries...I wonder if you asked those players what they would say about that. There are many bumps and bruises that players play through..but adding two more will again add more chance for wear and tear.
They WILL need to adjust roster sizes..but I would not predict how many are REALLY needed...roster and game day roster....What is needed more are changes to IR so that players injured early can return.. AFTER so many weeks...BUT I am not sure how this can be done to avoid abuse by teams. BUT this will be needed.
NO pads first week?? Not sure that will help..BUT I do think they MAY need to add a week or so..for controlled scrimmages..will they replace the 2 preseason games?? The ONE thing in this 18 game season no one talks about is development and evaluation. Those 2 preseason games that were used for that purpose are gone...what or how will that be done? The fans MOST will not give a damn about any of that..but I think coaches DO care about that. Goodell DID suggest something needs to be done..at least he said that 2 years ago..BUT to me that was only lip service at best. A developmental league?? Again..not really worth it money wise..BUT that evaluation will be missed and THAT DOES need to be addressed. I also know many will say scrimmages are better...I say ask the coaches WHAT would help..or NOT help this process. Let them have input on how to replace those 2 games.
Adding another bye week MAY help..but the season will go way into February..and really how good will football be in the winter months in the north?? Just some points I think need to be looked at.

^ Formatting, use it.

I have several concerns, the biggest being the level of play early in the season. I'm not sure 2 preseason games is enough to get out the kinks. I expect that we will see a LOT of rusty teams and awful games in the first couple of weeks of an 18-game season.

Other big issues are playing time, you essential will have to rest players more often, which might lead to a slight drop off in the overall talent you see each game. The good? Teams which preach depth (like, BB) may benefit from having a bigger roster and more games.

If they expand to 18 games and add a bye, a new IR system, and expanded rosters, I'll be satisfied. I do want to keep the 16 game season, if anything else to also preserve the history of the game. I won't enjoy seeing people breaking every single NFL record in the 17th and 18th games. I realize it happened when the league expanded to 16 games, I just don't want it to happen again.

Last edited:
The fans say they hate it (and I'm one of them), but they're sure as hell going to watch it. The league knows this and so do the fans.

I think we will find that even the NFL has a saturation point. I hate the idea as well. I now watch all games. Each game is critical. At 18 games?

I think we will find that even the NFL has a saturation point. I hate the idea as well. I now watch all games. Each game is critical. At 18 games?

Each game will be critical at 18 games as well. Now, if they expand the playoff format, you might have a point.

Firstly...the bottom line..is the level of play of football will GO DOWN...so quality will be lower with a longer season..I think that is obvious to any REAL football fan..It's bad enough now with 16 games..the quality of play is lower with more injuries...so it's sometimes the teams with less injuries instead OF the better teams....the 16 game season is what is the norm..but it has stretched a lot...TV revenue will go up...but I wonder by how much...given contracts now..and the change of economy..I really wonder how much it will be inflated.
I am not sure how meaningful these 2 weeks will be? If teams are out of it playing terrible...2 more MEANINGLESS weeks instead. And again..how those teams PLAY in these last games..quality..GONE...
Why would they occur now?? At some point..the injuries and play will go downhill with x amount of games..it's NOT a straight line drop..but WILL fall quick at some point and the more games added..the more chance of that happening.
As far as those playoff games...and injuries...I wonder if you asked those players what they would say about that. There are many bumps and bruises that players play through..but adding two more will again add more chance for wear and tear.
They WILL need to adjust roster sizes..but I would not predict how many are REALLY needed...roster and game day roster....What is needed more are changes to IR so that players injured early can return.. AFTER so many weeks...BUT I am not sure how this can be done to avoid abuse by teams. BUT this will be needed.
NO pads first week?? Not sure that will help..BUT I do think they MAY need to add a week or so..for controlled scrimmages..will they replace the 2 preseason games?? The ONE thing in this 18 game season no one talks about is development and evaluation. Those 2 preseason games that were used for that purpose are gone...what or how will that be done? The fans MOST will not give a damn about any of that..but I think coaches DO care about that. Goodell DID suggest something needs to be done..at least he said that 2 years ago..BUT to me that was only lip service at best. A developmental league?? Again..not really worth it money wise..BUT that evaluation will be missed and THAT DOES need to be addressed. I also know many will say scrimmages are better...I say ask the coaches WHAT would help..or NOT help this process. Let them have input on how to replace those 2 games.
Adding another bye week MAY help..but the season will go way into February..and really how good will football be in the winter months in the north?? Just some points I think need to be looked at.

Stop being holier than thou. I am as much a fan as you are, and I don't think the level of play will go down, especially if they institute the changes that are being spoken of. If you are that concerned, just push for a 2 game season with playoffs, and while you are at it, make just 2 teams, there you go, best quality players best quality games. Woohoo.

It certainly seems to me an inordinate amount of injuries occur during preseason. Players are being asked to go all out to win spots, going against players who's only chance to stick is to make that incredible hit or block. They are also asked to do things they usually wouldn't be asked to do during the regular season.

How good will football be in February in the north? Sounds damn good to me.

If the 18 game season goes through and they add another bye for each team that means they have to add 3 weeks to the season right? If that is the case I would want it to be 2 weeks added at the start of the season - meaning a late August game and a game Labor Day weekend - and one week at the end of the season. That leads to the only thing I care about: Super Bowl Sunday being the day before Presidents Day meaning the day after is a holiday! Give me the day after the Super Bowl off from work and I will go along with whatever Goodell wants.

If the 18 game season goes through and they add another bye for each team that means they have to add 3 weeks to the season right? If that is the case I would want it to be 2 weeks added at the start of the season - meaning a late August game and a game Labor Day weekend - and one week at the end of the season. That leads to the only thing I care about: Super Bowl Sunday being the day before Presidents Day meaning the day after is a holiday! Give me the day after the Super Bowl off from work and I will go along with whatever Goodell wants.
Yes, the unofficial word is exactly what you suggest: Super Sunday will be President's Day Weekend.

And lo... come February, 2016... the angels of the apocalypse will descend upon America... anarchy and chaos will rule the day... a complete breakdown of societal law and order... the dead rising from the gave, human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together, mass hysteria: Super Sunday will be on Valentine's Day.

Last edited:

As Moosekill noted this post is more pompous that factual. There is no evidence that injuries occur more frequently at the end of the season than in the beginning. You make it sound like they would be playing 2 full games more, when it just isn't the case.

There is so much misinformation on this, its ridiculous, after 5 pages of discussion, 2 posters after yours still think that they would be adding 2 more weeks to the season.

Like I said from the top. For most players, the increase in snaps per game would be MARGINAL. For most the increase in roster sizes would mitigate some of the snaps they have to take now.

So get off your high horse, I'm a "real football fan". You are entitled to your opinion, but your presentation was simple BS.

Why is it that so many people against this move seem to think that adding 2 games will only add "meaningless" ones? Obviously adding 2 games to every team will increase both meaningful and meaningless games.
You claim to be a true football fan, and yet you are afraid of there being more football games played during the winter months up north? You serious here?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back