PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian:Its about matchups

Status
Not open for further replies.

SVN

PatsFans.com Retired Jersey Club
Reaction score
ESPN - An early ending for the Colts, again - AFC South

The Colts of president Bill Polian and quarterback Peyton Manning will always have that one Lombardi Trophy, but they now own a 7-8 record in the playoffs. Tony Dungy, who joined the Colts a bit later, is 7-6 in the postseason with a horseshoe on his hat.

Polian bristled at a question about the overall body of playoff work.

"I'm not interested in bodies of work or underachieving or any of that," he said. "That's your guys' stuff, that has nothing to do with me. I'm not even going to deal with that.

"You've got to be pretty good to get here, and it's about matchups. And this is a tough team to matchup against so we have some work to do in that regard. We know what we have to do. Nobody underachieved on this team this year, I can assure you of that. Absolutely no one."
they havent matched up in 3 yrs....so when is the work going to be done ?

It is a universal principle that the only habits we can't change are the ones we don't see.

Polians comments tell me the Colts have organizational myopia where it comes to their underachieving ways. That's great news for us because it insures they'll be looking elsewhere for their answers than where the problem really lies.

Bill, you were 12-4 and lost in the wildcard round to an 8-8 team. How is this not underachieving?

The problem is that the mentally un-tough Colts don't match up well with THE PLAYOFFS!!!

Is he referring to the matchup between the Colts' faces and the other teams' asses?

They're not built for the playoffs. Too big a portion of their cap goes into QB/WR and the effects show. They have great end pass rushers and a great safety but with the rest of that defense it's next to impossible to win 3-4 games in a row against great teams.

2006 was an anomaly. They played 3 teams (KC, Baltimore, Chicago) with 1 dimensional and weak offenses and the one good offense they played put up 34 points on them which in most cases gets you sent home. Luckily for them, we had 3rd stringers in on defense in the 2nd half after they put up a whole 6 points in the 1st. That year, every game but the Patriots played directly into their strengths and we were essentially the only great team they had to beat, and they still needed a barrage of injuries/the flu to win. Had they drawn SD in one of the rounds they would have been toast.

You've got to be pretty good to get here, and it's about matchups. And this is a tough team to matchup against so we have some work to do in that regard.

I guess Polian will have a discussion with the competition committee, to change the match ups they have to face in the playoffs......:D

You've got to be pretty good to get here, and it's about matchups. And this is a tough team to matchup against so we have some work to do in that regard.

I guess Polian will have a discussion with the competition committee, to change the match ups they have to face in the playoffs......:D

He is going to tell the competition committee that a 12-4 team should not have to play on the road against an 8-8 team. He might push for "re-seeding" after playoff teams are finalized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back