PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polian is a jerk but...give him credit

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcus

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
Probably an excellent trade for McFarland.

The Colts have an obvious weakness and he went out and tried to fix it.

McFarland at one time was being touted as better than Sapp in his prime.

Polian is an ***** but he knows how to field a strong team......

I give him alot of credit for that Corey Simon signing, too! That was a doozy. And drafting Marlin Jackson in Rd 1 was brilliant.

Last edited:
marcus said:

Always a bridesmaid - never a bride.

Tried to fix it. By overpaying for an underproducing, overpaid DL. At least he tried, I guess.

It's true, he does field an excellent regular season team. Kind of like the Yankees.

Yes, I bet there are at least two or three people who live outside of Boston who would trade Boston's results for those of the Yankees. The Colts would like to be like the Yankees.

jaychamp said:
It's true, he does field an excellent regular season team. Kind of like the Yankees.

mgteich said:
Yes, I bet there are at least two or three people who live outside of Boston who would trade Boston's results for those of the Yankees. The Colts would like to be like the Yankees.
They would like to dominate the regular season and then get burned in the playoffs? Oh wait, they already do that. I was speaking of the last 5 years, not the Yankees entire history. I might have misunderstood you though.

Last edited:
One thing I find troubling about the Colts in general is that they dumped a guy who has a disease and refuse to pay his salary. That is one difference between the Colts and the "Cheap" Pats!

I could see not paying a guy's salary for an idiotic decision that led to an accident such as Big Ben and Winslow but not for a medical condition.

marcus said:

I certainly give him credit. He's fielded a competitive team every year fror quite a while.

Manages to draft and acquire players that fit their system.

I've got a little problem with your analysis of this deal, though.

I don't think anyone thought he was better than Sapp in his prime, I think when Sapp let himself go a bit and they played together, some thought he was more effective then, ( a couple years ago).

Reading the Bucs forum, the consensus seems to be Booger ain't what he used to be.

Might be sour grapes, but most posters thought they stole a #2.

One mans trash is another man's treasure.

I live in tampa BTW.

Last edited:
mgcolby said:
One thing I find troubling about the Colts in general is that they dumped a guy who has a disease and refuse to pay his salary. That is one difference between the Colts and the "Cheap" Pats!

I could see not paying a guy's salary for an idiotic decision that led to an accident such as Big Ben and Winslow but not for a medical condition.

Simon is still on the team. He was on the sidelines this past weekend. They have paid him quite a bit so far, including the four this season prior to being put on the non-football injury list. He has been paid over $14 million by the Colts playing in 13 games. By not having to pay his salary for the rest of the season, it's not about dissing Corey, it's about being able to replace him with someone like McFarland under the cap.

workhorse said:
Simon is still on the team. He was on the sidelines this past weekend. They have paid him quite a bit so far, including the four this season prior to being put on the non-football injury list. He has been paid over $14 million by the Colts playing in 13 games. By not having to pay his salary for the rest of the season, it's not about dissing Corey, it's about being able to replace him with someone like McFarland under the cap.

It's also about Polian unilaterally deciding that it is a non-football injury. If he loses the inevitable grievance filed by Simon and the NFLPA, he'll have to pay this year's full salary, as if Simon was IR'ed. That amount, plus the accelerated signing bonus would need to be deducted from next year's cap if they release him after this year. That could sting them next year.

pee.gif
coltsThumb.gif

I live in Florida, I see a lot of Bucs games and McFarland is one of the most overrated and overpayed players in the league. Dude's a bum.

Using the red sox-yankees comparison, this is exactly the kind of trade Theo didn't make this year and I love him for it. he looked at this year's Sox team, saw that it couldn't win by adding a marginal talent at the deadline, and held onto the future.

Polian decided to give away a #2 for a guy who, while he will help, won't fix the Colts's problems. Also, a guy who Tampa would have been dumb not to accept a #4 for.

When discussing this trade on a Bills board yesterday I dared to question the assertion that Polian is the best GM in football (you know, that whole thing about not have Pioli's 3 rings). Who knew that Bills fans were so hard up they take comfort in Polian's (regular season) success.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back