PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Polamalu hit on Welker

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Where is the Polo FINE NFL? Buehler?...

explain to my why its a penalty.

Even though it is called a "facemask" penalty. The rule includes grasping ANY orifice of the helmet.
He clearly curled his fingers under the opening of the helmet and twisted.

no

tumblr_ltxoecZDxB1qm9ryp

Troy polamalu hits wes welker on week 8 vs patriots 2011 - YouTube

poor quality but Polamalu never even closes his hand.

You can't grab a helmet and twist. Its not why we lost the game, the Steelers were the better team that day. But that was and is a penalty. And, if you and the rest of the NFL was to be objective, should have been a fine.

Calling for a penalty is one thing. Calling for a fine is another.

I might be wrong but is it common practice for players to get fined for commiting a face mask penalty?

Then the problem becomes the difference between what used to be a 5 yard penalty (which is not called anymore) and what is a 15 yarder and should be called. I think this one is real close as there was no hard yank but he did twist and I guess it should have been called. The refs either didnt see it or thought it was of the no call variety.

Calling for a penalty is one thing. Calling for a fine is another.

I might be wrong but is it common practice for players to get fined for commiting a face mask penalty?

Then the problem becomes the difference between what used to be a 5 yard penalty (which is not called anymore) and what is a 15 yarder and should be called. I think this one is real close as there was no hard yank but he did twist and I guess it should have been called. The refs either didnt see it or thought it was of the no call variety.

Fined for a face mask penalty, no. Although grabbing and twisting a helmet goes a bit further than a grab of a face mask. I didn't say it would or should be fined, I'm just saying if the NFL was consistent about fining players under the blanket of player safety, for late hits, hits low, or hits to the head, then grabbing a helmet and twisting should fall in the same category. Unless you think neck and or possible spinal injuries aren't that big a deal.

Even though it is called a "facemask" penalty. The rule includes grasping ANY orifice of the helmet.
He clearly curled his fingers under the opening of the helmet and twisted.

I saw a second angle where he appeared to lock his hands. To me it looks like he palmed welkers helmet. I don't think that its a penalty.
You can't grab a helmet and twist. Its not why we lost the game, the Steelers were the better team that day. But that was and is a penalty. And, if you and the rest of the NFL was to be objective, should have been a fine.

where does it say you cant grab the helmet and twist? Roger Goodell has no gripes against fining the steelers and no fine for this. Im pretty sure that this isn't a penalty and its certainly not fine worthy.

Watching the game with my dad (who is a huge Steelers homer) and his explanation was:

"Polamalu didn't grab the face-mask or horsecollar. Welker was just to pathetic to break the tackle."

Needless to say that game was painful to watch.

That is pure and plain HORSESH!T. All players are prohibited from:

(c) striking, swinging, or clubbing to the head, neck, or face with the heel, back, or side of the hand, wrist, arm, elbow, or clasped hands. See 12-2-3.

There is no more 5 yard penalty, but I think all facemasks are the 15 yard penalties (so the refs don't have to make a judgement call).

And Troy didn't hank the helmet, but he sure wrapped it up and torked his torso to cause it to twist. In this day and age of penalties, I don't see how that isn't fined when a player is injured as a result. :bricks:

Polo's a total A hole. The way he tackled Wes was unnecessary. I mean what the hell is up with the jumping on the WR's backs anyway. What the hell is he, the wild man of Borneo? I'm not saying it's illegal, it's just weird looking to me. However, grabbing Wes around the neck with his forearm and using the facemask as leverage could have VERY SERIOUSLY injured him. Just like last year when that little pr**k tried to snap TB's neck last year well after the whistle blew.Tom+Brady+Troy+Polamalu+New+England+Patriots+c7dO2IAWRCol.jpg

Well of course he did. Welker is a good looking dude and Pollyanna wanted to give him a little head and shoulders.

Well they fined Chung for a face mask so I guess I am wrong

This thread reminds me: I miss not having 37 running around like a madman out there.

Well they fined Chung for a face mask so I guess I am wrong

They also fined Faulk for his chop block, which is nuts because he blocked the defender low before Vollmer touched him. It's still a penalty, since it was a high-low block, but to fine the guy who got there first just because the penalty was called against him is silly.

Same reason why Polamalu batting the ball into the EZ wasn't a penalty...the officials are inept.
Good point(s). There are some players whose reputations are so wide-spread (both good and bad), that the officials just give them leeway others just don't get. Bob Sanders was as overrated as any player I've ever known in the NFL. He sucked, and players and coaches knew it. But, the Colts had this propaganda machine which continuously pumped out hyperbole about how good he was, and it worked with the officials. Indy had many very good players who deserved the respect they received. Sanders wasn't one of them. Troy P. is a very good player. He's not close to being great. But the officials have bought into the Steelers' hype and they figure he isn't capable of of a committing a penalty. The fact that not one official on the field last week knew that the batted ball was illegal is a disgrace. It would not have made a difference in the game - it came too late. But, having no one on the field in a position of authority to call that play correctly is an embarrassment to the NFL. But, everyone just yawns and blithely moves on to the next week without an apology or admission that they f#$%^& up. And people think the NBA is a joke (which it is), but they're not alone.

It has been 4 days and I still have not heard anyone explain why that is not a penalty.

I said this as soon as that game was over. Polamalu cannot tackle for issshhh. He plays much too wild, he climbs on people instead of tackling them. Gronk took him for a ride but Welker's neck almost snapped.

Last edited:

Good point(s). There are some players whose reputations are so wide-spread (both good and bad), that the officials just give them leeway others just don't get. Bob Sanders was as overrated as any player I've ever known in the NFL. He sucked, and players and coaches knew it. But, the Colts had this propaganda machine which continuously pumped out hyperbole about how good he was, and it worked with the officials. Indy had many very good players who deserved the respect they received. Sanders wasn't one of them. Troy P. is a very good player. He's not close to being great. But the officials have bought into the Steelers' hype and they figure he isn't capable of of a committing a penalty. The fact that not one official on the field last week knew that the batted ball was illegal is a disgrace. It would not have made a difference in the game - it came too late. But, having no one on the field in a position of authority to call that play correctly is an embarrassment to the NFL. But, everyone just yawns and blithely moves on to the next week without an apology or admission that they f#$%^& up. And people think the NBA is a joke (which it is), but they're not alone.

Do I get a tinfoil hat for reading this whole post?

I feel like I should

It is an embarrassment you're right. If they had any integrity at all they would comment on it, and assure us that they are tightening up and working strenuously to make sure these mistakes aren't made in the future.

The part that makes me the most angry though is, as you wrote, that everyone just jokes about it and forgets all about it. The officiating this year has been shoddy at best, and it's getting old.

And yet we all just joke, or if it affects our team we ***** that the NFL is out to get us, and then just forget about it.

Although aside from sending angry emails and voicing our anger to them, what can we really do and be affective? Idk it just makes me mad, especially when these calls or lack thereof have serious implications in the final score of games. (not that polo punching the ball did)

"Polamalu hit on Welker" kinda sounds like a Gay head and shoulders commercial lol

Faulk, Chung fined - but not Polamalu - Extra Points - Boston.com
However, Pittsburgh S Troy Polamalu - who tackled Wes Welker to the ground by his head and twisted his helmet nearly 90 degrees and injured Welker's neck to the point where he missed one day of practice this week and was limited for the other two - was not fined.

Nor was Polamalu flagged on the play during the game.

Yet two weeks ago the NFL fined Polamalu $10,000 for calling his wife from the sidelines to inform her that he was okay after suffering a concussion during a game.

And over and over again league brass tells anyone who will listen that player safety is paramount. Apparently just not in this case.

Troy Polamalu Not Fined for Helmet-Twisting Hit That Resulted in Wes Welker's Neck Injury - NFL - NESN.com
Welker was shaken up on the play, missed Wednesday's practice due to a neck injury and is listed as questionable for Sunday's game against the Giants. Welker, though, will play.

Polamalu did not draw a penalty for the hit, but the league reviews all questionable hits, penalty or not, and routinely fines players for head shots. Therefore, the lack of a fine is not consistent with the NFL's emphasis on contact to the head of a ball carrier.

Patriots safety Patrick Chung was fined $7,500 for a facemask, and running back Kevin Faulk was fined $7,500 for a chop block.

I did not think it was possible to despise the PitsDirt Squealers any more than I already did,
but now I realize that I was wrong.

What a pile of dirty, sanctimonius, most-favored-nation scum.

I did not think it was possible to despise the PitsDirt Squealers any more than I already did,
but now I realize that I was wrong.

What a pile of dirty, sanctimonius, most-favored-nation scum.

I'm with you, Captain.

I hate the team (and their fanbase as a whole) more than anyone could even imagine, the Jets (a close 2nd) included.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back