PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Podlesh better fit for the Pats?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctpatsfan77

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Reading some of NFL.com's profiles of the Ps, I'm starting to wonder if Adam Podlesh might be a better fit for the Pats. Namely:

Podlesh:
Hits the ball squarely and is consistent in his approach and rhythm, getting good rise in an instant (has never had a punt blocked) … Shows accuracy on his punt attempts, with the ability to control and place the ball on pooch punts

Compares To: Brad Maynard, Chicago Bears … Like Maynard, Podlesh has exceptional speed to get downfield and help the coverage unit … He is a master at kicking towering punts, and more often than not his coverage team can break for coffee before his punts land :)))… He needs to work a bit on angling his punts better along the sidelines, but if the opposition can't field them, they are not going to return many of his kicks … He is by far the best athlete at this position since Maynard left college 10 years ago.

Sepulveda:
Sepulveda is a fine athlete who just happens to have a strong kicking leg. He is a former linebacker who should do well on the coverage unit at the next level. He has the leg strength to launch rockets off his leg, but needs to improve the trajectory on some of his kicks, as he will hit line drives on more than a few occasions, resulting in the coverage team not being set up to prevent the long return. You can teach a player how to angle his punts, and with a little technique refinement he should replace a veteran punter in the NFL next year.

In other words . . .

Sepulveda ~ Sauerbrun, Podlesh ~ Miller?

I'll give you points for creativity.....hypothesizing which punter fits the "Patriots model".

Excellent post. Even if you did "out" my secret darkhorse pick-10 entry. ;)

I was just thinking that either way this is a nightmare scenario for Gil Santos!

"The Patriots line up for a field goal, Paxton snaps it to Sepulveda, who holds for Gostkowski, who..."

or "DeOssie snaps it to Podlesh, puts it down for Gostkowski...."

Sepulveda is also coming off a (non-kicking leg) ACL tear

Well Done! :rocker:

how about we snap it to Josh Miller?

how about we snap it to Josh Miller?

If Miller were 100% healthy, I'd say sure. But, under the circumstances, I don't know if he will be. Plus, the idea of having a "WE decide where you get the ball" kicking combo for anywhere from 3 to 15 years sounds pretty appealing. :)

If Miller were 100% healthy, I'd say sure. But, under the circumstances, I don't know if he will be. Plus, the idea of having a "WE decide where you get the ball" kicking combo for anywhere from 3 to 15 years sounds pretty appealing. :)

he had a shoulder injury..he got paid bonus. id assume hes fine by now..

Having two punters not only on the roster, but also on the game day roster does not sound appealing at all.

I'm not 100% sold on Miller, even when healthy.

However my hopeful 7th round pick remains SS Craig Dahl of SDS. This guy is an animal on ST. He's good for 2 or 3 excellent collisions per game.

Having two punters not only on the roster, but also on the game day roster does not sound appealing at all.

I was referring to Adam Podlesh ("I'll kick this ball so high you have to fair catch it!") and Gostkowski ("Here, have another touchback, I insist!"), not Podlesh and Miller. Even I'm not that insane. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down