PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Podcast with Sportsagent Leigh Steinberg

State

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
I've been waiting weeks for someone to post this. But I guess no one's nerdy enough--like me--to listen to Econtalk with my pal Russell Roberts. I like to listen when I walk the dogs.

He interviews the famous sports agent Leigh Steinbeg, who has fascinating tales to tell, like talking about movie director and writer Russell Crowe who followed him around in the early 1990s in preparation for the making of the movie Jerry Maguire, loosely based on Steinberg's early career.

At the end of the podcast he lauds Patriots owner Robert Kraft for coming in and listening to people to learn how to properly run a franchise when he first took over. I take it from Steinberg that this is a unusual occurrence.

Being able to listen is truly a rare skill.

And Steinberg is really negative about the NFL's future in regards to concussions. A big legal case was just launched on that. He considers it to be a formidable problem that likely may end the game as we know it. These guys are just so big, so fast; and hardly anyone sees them after their playing days are over and they're hobbling around at fifty as if they're seventy, not even able to pick up their grandchild. It's sad what this game we love does to the gladiators who play it.

This is serious, folks.

We know how it can damage a person with former Patriot Ted Johnson, who lacks all sense of propriety from his illness. Johnson is a good guy whose repeated concussions has made into a shell of himself, destroying his marriage, stabbing a friend like Vince in a way that's totally unacceptable.

Well, if you're nerdy like I am--and I scare even Al Yankovic--than you may enjoy this hour-long podcast. I found it fascinating.

Leigh Steinberg on Sports, Agents, and Athletes | EconTalk | Library of Economics and Liberty

Thanks. I'll listen at the gym.

A couple of problems with Leigh Steinberg.

First I would watch HBO Real Sports and watch his story on how he is a train wreck and lost everything due to having a serious drinking problem. He was at Drew Beldsoe's wedding drunker than hell.

Second I watched a interview with Tom Cruise and the Leigh Steinberg comment was brought up. Cruise got pretty pissed because the movie is not about him at all and Cruise has heard Steinberg in the past take credit for it and he was not happy about it.

Cameron Crowe not Russel....

Cameron Crowe not Russel....
Ugh, you're right.

Thanks.

One of the saddest stories I've heard about the NFL is a former Michigan State guard who was drafted by the Jags in the second round. After a number of years he went up to Cincinnati and blocked for Corey Dillion.

Brian DeMarco. Have you heard his story? How he had spinal damage but was injected with painkillers to stay on the field, causing permanent damage? Brian DeMarco - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Then he is repeatedly homeless, basically handicapped--and remember this is a huge human being that his petite wife can't lug around--and calls the players' union well over a hundred times for help with his rent. Only no one responds according to DeMarco, though the late Gene Upshaw in Congressional testimony has copies of bills showing the union helping DeMarco out. SI.com - NFL - Bitter Battle For the Old Guard (cont.) - Thursday January 31, 2008 1:56PM

One of many reasons I don't like unions like the players union is the way that they failed to provide much of anything for the members who paid their dues and built the org into what it is. Some blame goes to the duly elected team player reps for not making it a secondary priority in their blind short sighted rush for 8 figure contracts. That said, I do feel that the union is needed to protect amoral owners from exploiting the talent.

One of many reasons I don't like unions like the players union is the way that they failed to provide much of anything for the members who paid their dues and built the org into what it is. Some blame goes to the duly elected team player reps for not making it a secondary priority in their blind short sighted rush for 8 figure contracts. That said, I do feel that the union is needed to protect amoral owners from exploiting the talent.

What the NFLPA has done in the past few years to completely stiff the players of the 50's, 60's and 70's is sickening. They sold out the players who built the league into what it is and who truly need help the most in favor of the current big money guys.

And, of course, it's entirely in the players' interests to crack down on the body-building drugs that ratchet up the impacts and hence the long term damage. Instead they resist effective PED testing on ridiculous grounds.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back