Welcome to PatsFans.com

Pledge of Allegiance banned from school ceremony

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by Real World, Jun 19, 2008.

1. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +666 / 7 / -2

Instead of reciting anything, they should just have everyone there hum this. [​IMG]

Pledge of Allegiance

Posted: 8:36 AM Jun 11, 2008
    Last Updated: 8:36 AM Jun 11, 2008

(CBS) Most children growing up in the US memorize the Pledge of Allegiance. But, in one Oregon elementary school, the kids won't be allowed to recite it at an end of the year assembly.

The principal banned it that day so as not to offend Muslims.

One resident of Portland, Oregon was a little surprised when she received an e-mail from her stepson's school principal.

The e-mail said that the children would not be reciting the pledge because of its reference to God.

http://www.wctv.tv/home/headlines/19760084.html

Last edited: Jun 19, 2008
  2. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

And why should muslims be forced to recite it? You'll probably say something like "if they don't want to they don't have to" but if you're running a school you probably don't want to alienate certain children by making a spectacle out of them.

3. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +605 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

I'm agnostic and don't really care for the "under God" part; when I'm at my kids school in the morning when they do it I just don't say Under God. It's actually quite easy - and it certainly doesn't "make a spectacle" out of me.

4. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

well it's also against Islam to pledge allegiance to a flag or country I believe. And no, I don't agree with Islam, it's a totally backwards religion, even more so than modern christianity, but it's not the kids fault their parents are gullible fanatics.

5. IcyPatriot

IcyPatriot ------------- PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +1,373 / 34 / -28

#87 Jersey

Lots of God references that are part of our history / custom. This issue is going to get bigger rather than smaller and we should deal with it. I'm Catholic but I agree nobody should be made to utter those words if it is offensive to them. "under God" should be removed .. rather sad to see things change but it is what it is.

6. Holy Diver

Holy Diver Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +23 / 0 / -0

#80 Jersey

one nation under God...... INDIVISIBLE

interesting how the line before indivisible, somehow divides people.

7. Patriot_in_NY

Patriot_in_NY Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

This is in America right Waldo?

Why don't those little dirty American kids just hold the little Arabs down and beat the ever living sh!t outta them. You know, get all GITMO on em' :rolleyes:

I've never met a Senate Page Boy with such America-hate running thrugh his veins. Was getting touched by the senator all that bad? :singing:

Yes, that's a joke...... settle down everyone :)

8. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

So true......

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

I don't know if it is or it isn't but they can stand there and say nothing. It's not that hard although I'm sure a few of them (uh oh, that word will get me in trouble) would surely kick up a big fuss. In life sometimes you make the best of a situation you don't like. Not pledging to a God I can see - not pledging to the flag of the country you're choosing to live in, I can't buy that.

10. Real World

Ratings:
    +666 / 7 / -2

What country are we in? Who said that any kid there is forced to recite it? The school does, and anyone who doesn't want to, doesn't have to. To ban it because it "might" offend some muslim, is ridiculous. Whatever happened to asymilation? This country is over. I don't say that because the pledge was banned. I say it because we're on a rapid, and dangerous path of fundamental destruction. The basic, and fundamental principles that made this country the greatest in the world, are rapidly being destroyed by judges, pc dogooders, and non-americans. Gross.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Can they ban Muslims because they offend me ? :D

12. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Oh please, lets be a little more dramatic.

This isn't a christian country, it's a secular one that has mostly christians. I know the righties don't like the separation of church and state and love their little "judeo-christian tradition" line, but imigration is what made this country great not total conformity. Those muslim parents pay taxes just like you do and they are entitled to have their children treated equally, not embarrassed by "standing up and not saying anything" in front of all the other children. I guess in your wise old age RW, you forgot what it's like to be a kid, but being made to feel different and alienated is probably the worst feeling you can have. So if the principal of the school wants to look out for the interests of certain children, who I'm sure already have a tough enough time, then good for him/her. That's what makes this country GREAT and different from any other in the world. People want to come here because of our opportunities and tolerance.

13. Real World

Ratings:
    +666 / 7 / -2

I take it nobody clicked the link. The best part is that banning the pledge upset the muslims!

14. Patriot_in_NY

Ratings:
    +34 / 0 / -0

It's called appeasement......... It destroyed Europe and it will destroy this country too.

15. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Yeah this is "appeasement" lol. Europe (which apaprently has been destroyed according to you) was too tolerant of people of different faiths and that's what allowed Hitler to take over Czechoslovakia. You really are quite dumb.

16. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Well they're right. They really need to conform the best they can or the community around them will hate (or something similar but less) them.

17. Real World

Ratings:
    +666 / 7 / -2

My parents are immigrants, as is my entire extended family. I think I know a little about what immigration is, and means. The key component is the term LEGAL.

You didn't click the link. You should read the entire article before posting. NO ONE WAS OFFENDED. The principle took it upon himself to be a pc dogooder.

What an appologist, wussified position. I'm guessing you're one of those people who thinks we should ban red corrective ink too, and use purple, cuz red is psycologically damaging. Maybe when we have youth sports, we shouldn't keep score, or should have every kid stink as bad as the worst player on the team. What a wussified country we're becoming, and it's expressly because of people who think like you. In life, some poop isn't going to go your way, and you need to learn how to deal with it, when it doesn't. I was an awful basketball player in my teens, and was constantly ridiculed by my buds who were much, much better. Eventually I worked on my game and became as good, if not better than them by my 20's. Maybe someone should have asked my friends to get worse so that I wouldn't be so alienated & different. What wussified people we have these days. Everyone is appologizing for people who should be growing a set, and learning to be an adult.

People come here to be free, and for opportunity. You come here, you assymilate cuz no one is better. You come here, you're humble to the culture that exists. It's no longer that way anymore. Now you press 2 for Spanish, and apply for your disability check the day you arrive. Gross.

18. Real World

Ratings:
    +666 / 7 / -2

Huh? Check out what's going on in downtown Baghdad, ahem, I mean Paris.

19. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

Yeah the French, who are every bit as xenophobic and racist as Americans, are treating immigrants like dogshit, and it's coming back to haunt them. Your point?

20. Wildo7

Ratings:
    +47 / 16 / -3

You should try reading the constitution sometime, it's really a good read. And I am a first generation American also. It's not "wussified" to stand up against the mob and stick up for marginalized segments of the population, quite the opposite actually. And I don't care what the article says I can guarantee you that muslims WERE offended and wouldn't want their children to do it.

And the American "culture" that exists is written nicely on the statue of liberty. Check it out sometime, it doesn't mention kicking people to the curb or forcing them to give up their constintitutional rights to freedom of religion. And this has absolutely nothing to do with illegal immigration, so I don't know what you are talking about.