PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please tell me this is a joke: Dolphin Stadium To Be Renamed Land Shark Stadium

Status
Not open for further replies.

Just another example of the mockery stadium naming rights have evolved into. But alas, that war is long over - and the good guys lost.

Have some pride, take a little less money and choose a name that compliments your team and community.

Why this name sucks...

Land Shark sounds like some crappy team name all by itself.

Over/under on next renaming - 2.5 years.

Eroding or destroying the history of 'Dolphin Stadium'

Who the hell can keep track of all of it? I have to friggin' google some obsolete stadium references just to remember what team and era they're talking about.

My fix...

City council vote on original name.
Minimum 20 year lease. Paid up front. If you go out of business, the name stays. You will be remembered fondly for your mediocre product and brave foray into the commercial marketplace.

Well, considering all the places the Pats played prior to coming to Foxboro, and then seeing the names of the new stadiums changed from Schaefer to Sullivan to Foxboro to CMGI Field to Gillette Stadium - and thankfully not changed again to Proctor & Gamble Park - I don't know that we're in a position to point fingers.

It's not as bad as when their stadium was "Pro Player" stadium, which I think was a named for a company that eventually went out of business, the business of selling underwear.

Nothing will ever top "Enron Field" in Houston (since changed)

The lime is a holdover from several decades ago. It used to be that you used a lime (or lemon) wedge around the lip of the bottle and inside the neck because the citric acid would kill any bacteria leftover. This was before Corona (and other Mexican beer) was pasteurized. Since then, however, the habit stuck, the yuppies picked up on it, and all the way-kewl folks keep it going.

respects,
No beer, regardless of its country of origin, should be spoiled by a lime or any other fruit. Landshark is a good beer and no one who seriously knows anything about it suggests adding lime to it.

heh,

I guess I'm dating myself. I've never heard of LandShark beer. the first thing I thought of was the old SNL skits. :)

Ditto :( 10char

It's not as bad as when their stadium was "Pro Player" stadium, which I think was a named for a company that eventually went out of business, the business of selling underwear.

Nothing will ever top "Enron Field" in Houston (since changed)

Pro Player didn't sell underwear, the former owner(Fruit of the Loom) does. It was sold off by the company to avoid bankruptcy and eventually at some point by Perry Ellis International. It's still active as their sports apparel brand.

I can't imagine there are a lot of posters here who play Ultimate frisbee, but Land Shark has a very different meaning int hose circles haha.

No beer, regardless of its country of origin, should be spoiled by a lime or any other fruit. Landshark is a good beer and no one who seriously knows anything about it suggests adding lime to it.

Absolutely agree. Thus, my reference to the "way-kewl" folks :)

The only drink I ever add lime to is 3 fingers of ****er's Navy Rum. Served neat, with a splash of lime juice. But beer, nope.

Am I the only one who thinks the Dolphins lucked out on this one? Land Shark may be a dopey name, but in a fun, intentional way -- like a giant tailgate. "Sunday at the Shark!" Beats the heck out of the typical XYZEastWestBankTelecom names that suck all the fun out of a trip to a football game.

Am I the only one who thinks the Dolphins lucked out on this one? Land Shark may be a dopey name, but in a fun, intentional way -- like a giant tailgate. "Sunday at the Shark!" Beats the heck out of the typical XYZEastWestBankTelecom names that suck all the fun out of a trip to a football game.

Agreed, it's wicked pissah!

Like in the same vein as Gillette getting the nickname "the razor"?

If the Dolphins can win some games, Land Shark Stadium will end up nicknamed "The Shark Tank" and weak teams will be called 'chum'.

Isn't Jimmy Buffet behind it?

Yes. Jimmy Buffett owns the Land Shark Beer brand. It's actually a partnership between Buffett and Anheisser-Busch for manufacturing and distribution.

The term dates back to his hit song Fins about a woman in a bar:

But now she lives down by the ocean
She's takin' care to look for sharks
They hang out in the local bars
And they feed right after dark

Can't you feel 'em circlin', honey
Can't you feel 'em swimmin' around
You got fins to the left, fins to the right
And you're the only bait in town
Oh oh
Oh oh
You got fins to the left, fins to the right
And you're the only girl in town

YouTube - Jimmy Buffett Fins Music Video

If the Dolphins can win some games, Land Shark Stadium will end up nicknamed "The Shark Tank" and weak teams will be called 'chum'.

Chum, land shark, a tuna in charge- it's becoming an aquarium down there!

Well Well Well indeed.......

Think they are trying to drum up other business to take up slack from the 'Fins?

The Marlins sure ain't drumming up much!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back