PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please help me to not worry!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Armen Da Pats Fan

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
I don't want to worry about football in March. I want to think about the Red Sox and about the Black Sox (my softball team).

But outside of signing Vince & Tully, both of which I am very happy about, and bringing in Patten, which the nostalgia part of me likes, but the football part of me is a little confused about, what have the Pats done so far this offseason?

I am sure there is lots of good logic behind their still waters approach, so please, share some of it with me!

As far as I can see, we still need:

1. An every down running back that can run out the clock and push the pile. maybe Michael bUsh is this guy.

2. A pass rusher. Or two.

3. A #2 WR. And possibly a #3, or is that Patten?

4. A strong CB. I don't know when Leigh Bodden became Michael Haynes, but I still think our secondary is suspect. And besides, we still haven't retained Leigh Bodden.

5. Another LB. Not a front line guy, but a solid rotation man. I am assuming Adalius Thomas won't be here. And even if he is, can we count on him anymore?

Not trying to ruffle feathers at all - I really need someone to give me an intelligent argument that exoplains just waht the heck the Pats are doing?!?!?!

Or NOT doing?!?!?!

Last edited:
1. An every down running back that can run out the clock and push the pile. maybe Michael bUsh is this guy.

Maroney will continue to split carries with another RB (maybe a rookie), our running game will continue to be solid, we will continue to NOT have 1 single 1000 yard rusher, and people will continue to crap all over Maroney. It's the way of the world, but no worries here.

A complete OLB and DE. We need to upgrade our overall pass rush but we have a "pass rusher" in TBC.

Patten could win one, hopefully we at least get one of Reed/Mason or a trade. Draft will hopefully bring us #1 of the future.

4. A strong CB. I don't know when Leigh Bodden became Michael Haynes, but I still think our secondary is suspect. And besides, we still haven't retained Leigh Bodden.

The secondary was the "best" part of the team last season. It's biggest problem was communication that was settled when Sanders was put back in the starting lineup. No pass defense will succeed with an anemic pass rush. Leigh Bodden is a -very- good CB and fits very well in the Patriots system. He's a complete CB, and top 10-15 in the league overall.

5. Another LB. Not a front line guy, but a solid rotation man. I am assuming Adalius Thomas won't be here. And even if he is, can we count on him anymore?

I'm most curious as to what the Patriots solution for OLB will be. Unless AD can bounce back the solution is not yet on the roster.

I don't want to worry about football in March. I want to think about the Red Sox and about the Black Sox (my softball team).

But outside of signing Vince & Tully, both of which I am very happy about, and bringing in Patten, which the nostalgia part of me likes, but the football part of me is a little confused about, what have the Pats done so far this offseason?

I am sure there is lots of good logic behind their still waters approach, so please, share some of it with me!

Not trying to ruffle feathers at all - I really need someone to give me an intelligent argument that exoplains just waht the heck the Pats are doing?!?!?!

Or NOT doing?!?!?!

Your top 3, well we haven't accomplished anything there yet (But people will still tell you everything is set)

4. I think we're OK. But going back to point number 2 it doesn't matter if your boy Haynes came outta retirement tommorow nobody is going to be a #1 CB when QBs have 5 seconds everytime to throw.

5. Again, this has not been fielled but yes we need it. I hope and pray for the draft. But than again the questions asks itself, are you confident counting on rookies to fill such position of needs? I don't know if I am.

Or NOT doing?!?!?!

If we upgrade points 2 and 5 then you won't have to worry about point 4 as much which was our strongest point on D last season.

Well, there is a reason to worry because this team is not championship caliber at this moment. But, I think you have it wrong by looking at our lack of free agent signings as another reason to worry.

Bottom line is, big-money free agents impact the team in many ways. It's not as simple, "this guy is good, so let's pay him." In particular, if you're worried right now, how worried would you be if Tom Brady was about to hit the free agent market because we weren't offering a big enough contract. Would you still rush to sign Anquan Boldin-Julius Peppers type players? You can't have it all, and the Patriots landed the biggest prize on the market, Vince Wilfork, without having to outbid other teams. If anyone says that Peppers would be a better signing than Wilfork, they are insane. Peppers has never played in a 3-4, has a questionable attitude, and cost much, much more. So I think that was a smart decision, as well as the TBC signing.

If you want to look at the team's problems, it's not free agency. Free agency is where the team goes to plug holes with veterans; it's not where they go to build a core. Investments in players like Adalius Thomas show that a huge contract hurts the team for a long time, and Thomas was a "sure-fire" star at the time.

The problem is the draft, and that needs to be the solution. No matter how many ways you arrange the puzzle, free agents basically give you what you pay for. Drafting players and developing them is where teams get the upper edge, and the Patriots have really messed up for awhile now. All of these busts and failed endeavors like Chad Jackson, Kevin O'Connell, etc have killed them. That's why everyone now wants them to get a quick fix by grabbing big names on the market. The Patriots have been one of the worst teams in the league in drafting since their Super Bowl runs, and to get back to the top they need to improve dramatically.

If you're the type to worry about the team five days into free agency, I really don't think I can help you... sorry.

If you're the type to worry about the team five days into free agency, I really don't think I can help you... sorry.

That's the answer in a nutshell...

I don't want to worry about football in March.

what have the Pats done so far this offseason?

If your boss gave you a project that was going to take six months, and three days later got all upset because you had made little visible progress, what would your thoughts be?

Anyway, you already know the answer to your questions. Football isn't won in March. When was the last time the team that made the biggest splash in the first two days of free agency did really well? The people who are in agony, angst or anger over our not getting Anquan Boldin are the same people who felt the same way when we let Javon Walker slip through out fingers. And they will be the ones crying over our not getting XXX next year. But worrying isn't about learning from the past, that's for sure.

People who for whatever reason cannot be happy will worry and fuss about things against all logic. If you feel this driving need to be despondent, no one can say anything that will make you feel better.

But hell, let me try.

I've read a lot about how signing our FAs is not improving, but I think it is. This is the worst FA year since FA began. All of the 4th and 5th year players who should be FAs are RFAs. Logic would tell you that this is the year to spend your money on your own players. In addition, because of the spector of a non-football year in 2011, many of the better juniors have declared, and it will be a great draft. Logic will tell you that this isn't the best year to use a 2nd round pick on an RFA as first round quality players will be available into the second round.

But hey, that's logic. Worrying isn't about logic.

Good luck!

What the heck is going on?

I'm more than a little disappointed that since free agency started, we haven't bothered to address a single problem we had last year. Our defense was horrible and we didn't pick up a single player who could help improve it.

And then we have the whole WR problem. We desperately needed another good WR to help Moss and Welker (when he gets back) but we passed on Boldin, who would have given us a huge lift on offense.

Seriously, what is going on at the Pats office? This is an uncapped year so there is NO EXCUSE for being afraid to spend to help the team get back to the superbowl. :mad:

Re: What the heck is going on?

You are aware that we are only a few days into FA, aren't you?

Personally, I would say resigning Wilfork, Bodden, and TBC to reasonable multi-year contracts this early on in the process was both unexpected and an extremely pleasant surprise.

I don't really have any significant qualms thus far.

Last edited:

Seriously, we totally need more playmakers at the WR position.

My guess is that they're going to hit the mid-level FAs hard and build our depth through that as well as the draft.

We missed on some last year (Galloway, Lewis, Lenon, Baker), but we also got Bodden, McGowan, and Taylor (before he got hurt).

My biggest concern is the pass rush. I don't see a lot of legit pass rushers out there after Peppers got signed, and banking on the draft to give us a legit pass rusher is not a good idea, so my best guess is that BB is going to be scheming a better pass rush next year.

Getting back to the topic, I think we'll see the Pats FO be a little more active once the initial wave of FA ends.

I'm more than a little disappointed that since free agency started, we haven't bothered to address a single problem we had last year. Our defense was horrible and we didn't pick up a single player who could help improve it.

And then we have the whole WR problem. We desperately needed another good WR to help Moss and Welker (when he gets back) but we passed on Boldin, who would have given us a huge lift on offense.

Seriously, what is going on at the Pats office? This is an uncapped year so there is NO EXCUSE for being afraid to spend to help the team get back to the superbowl. :mad:

Seriously, we totally need more playmakers at the WR position.

You do realize that w/ an uncapped year that a TON of would be UFA's became RFA's .. ala Vincent Jackson etc. There are not a good crop of guys out there right now.. it is what it is.. give them time..

But we have setup our Draft to go after needs.. unfortunately WR/RB is kind of weak in terms of depth.. so I wouldn't be surprised to see a D.Mason signing and Josh Reed .. or a trade w/ Seattle w. Branch

You are aware that we are only a few days into FA, aren't you?

Personally, I would say resigning Wilfork, Bodden, and TBC to reasonable multi-year contracts this early on in the process was both unexpected and an extremely pleasant surprise.

I don't really have any significant qualms thus far.

Yeah, its only a few days into it but most of the good players are already taken by teams that didn't waste any time snatching them. I think we really dropped the ball with Boldin. And I agree that resigning those players was a good idea but we also needed to make at least some kind of improvement on defense or we're going to be in the same situation we were in last year.

This is pathetic. There are 32 teams in the NFL and only a few quality free agents because of the uncapped year. I think the Patriots have had a very successful offseason so far. There was no guarantee they'd be able to re-sign so many core players. I think you underestimate the message the locker room has gotten over the last few days. The players now know that the front office really does have their back. I think that became a major problem for some players, and thus for the team, after the Vrabel and Seymour trades.

You may want to go back and reavaluate your position on this. They weren't great but they definitely weren't horrible.

Has Bryant been signed? Marshall? Torry Holt? Derrick Mason? Kevin Walters? Josh Reed?

Last I checked there was a decent list of UFA and RFA WR's still on the market.

Actually there is a reason for not going crazy. When a new CBA is put in place the cap will most certainly be back and contracts signed in 2010 will not be grandfathered. Also there is the 50% rule in place on all 2010 contracts, a players 2011 salary cannot be reduced by more than 50% of his 2010. This rule was put in place to stop the very thing you expect the Pats to do.

Factor in an overall terrible FA class, uncertain labor situation i.e. how much will the cap be in comparison to 2009 etc... and you have a very cautious approach by all but 1 NFL team (the Bears).

Also please name one outside linebacker who specializes in rushing the passer who 1. is available and 2. has been signed?

Last edited:

You do realize that w/ an uncapped year that a TON of would be UFA's became RFA's .. ala Vincent Jackson etc. There are not a good crop of guys out there right now.. it is what it is.. give them time..

But we have setup our Draft to go after needs.. unfortunately WR/RB is kind of weak in terms of depth.. so I wouldn't be surprised to see a D.Mason signing and Josh Reed .. or a trade w/ Seattle w. Branch

Well I think instead of going for a questionable player like we did with Galloway last year, we should have at least tried to get Boldin. With Moss, Welker, Boldin, and Edelman, that would be a pretty potent offense.

The defense was 5th in points allowed last season. Lack of a pass rush was the biggest problem, and the only free agent who would help there was Julius Peppers. The second best pass rushing free agent was TBC, who they re-signed. Jason Taylor is a possibility, but he underwent shoulder surgery and they won't kick his tires until after the draft. We'll have to wait for the draft to see how they address the pass rush. Other than that, last year's defense was fine, and some of the rookies from last year (and hopefully Crable and Wheatler) should continue to progress.

Honestly the offense's inability to move the ball in the 2nd half was the biggest problem last year. Yeah, the defense got gashed in the playoff game, but that was more of anomaly than something that happened all year.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots