PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please find a new phrase to replace "matchup nightmare"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ice_Ice_Brady

I heard 10,000 whispering and nobody listening
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
It was cool at first, but now virtually every good player is termed a "matchup nightmare". On ESPN today, there were two separate front page captions, describing Calvin Johnson and Jimmy Graham, both as a "matchup nightmare." We get it- they are difficult to cover and cause problems for defenses (don't all good offensive players cause problems for defenses?) At some point the sports world/media needs to become more creative and find a new phrase to describe the awesomeness of certain players. This term is starting to get as annoying as the "he might go all the way" catch phrase.

A board phrase that bugs me is: "in a heartbeat." "I make that trade..." you damn know what's coming next.

And the now generally accepted designation throughout all sports of referring to players as PIECES. Though accurate because most players are pretty dispensable, it it is is depressing, and shows just how commercialized professional sports have become.

PS 3 words come to mind to complete matchup---1)headache 2) disaster 3) troubles or conflicts

Last edited:
Oooh, oooh--Is this the thread for overused football clichés?
How about "rebuilding on the fly"?

The term versatile is annoying. Especially when player is average at best to put it politely

Not that I really get annoyed by this phrase, but people use the "X player keeps X coach/coordinator up all night before the game" a lot

The one thing that I learned from the world cup, is that at least football announcers don't pretend there is fairy dust coming out of people's asses.

"Messi would score that EVERYTIME"... as Messi proceeds to brick a shot.
"Dazzling move, with a shockingly bad finish, Balotelli would score 10/10"... next possession Balotelli misses.

Soccer announcers kill me.

It reminded me of when we had Jimmy Hitchcock constantly getting torched and some of the idiots would always refer to his "trail technique."

Can't forget the ole' "What's in the water down there in Aliquippa?" BS.

Last edited:
I'd rather "they" get rid of "move tight end" and "upside." o_O Whenever I hear "move tight end" I want to throw a shoe at the TV. Who started that stupid term -- Mayock?

"..hey Mike...MIKE!!!!!...wake the feck up, you're on the air...now tell us all what is going on here with the tight end....he's out of his stance and moving along the line...what gives???

.."harumph....cough...(clears throat of phlegm)...uh...yeah...uh...he's on the move alright..
uh...I GOT it!!!!...he's the move tight end!!!...where's my check?...

People used to be tall, now they have "length." Sometimes they are tall and have good length, which makes me feel like I know more about them than I need to.

Other candidates: Stretching the field. could we pleeeez retire that one. Means he's fast, OK?

One more

Ed-White-EVA.jpg

He's playing in space. Let's retire that one for football.

" and not only is Peyton smart and physically talented, he's a real STUDENT OF THE GAME!!"

Every friggin NFL player HAS TO BE a student of the game, that's what playbooks are for...but Peytie is the Einstein of the NFL according to the testicular vacuum hoses of the NFL media.

Joey Porter and LaDone-ian are out of the league now, Ray....

I refuse to watch anything but Red Sox and Patriot games on ESPN anymore, but I remember idiots like Merril Hodge would say 'he's just a football player' to describe a.. football player. No way! Really? Take a shot every time Mark Schlereth says 'football team'. Good I hate that entire network. backbackbackback.. and caught at the wall.

This thread is a matchup nightmare for brain cells.

Jimmy Graham, so much of a matchup nightmare Talib held him 0/0 and in 2 games Seattle held him to 4/50.

St Louis 2/25 and Buffalo 3/37 too.

So super-duper Jimmy Graham had 112 yards and 2 TDs in 5 games (4 regular season, 1 playoff).

Words should be used in a manner that accurately and succinctly communicates an idea. Sports reporting isn't poetry. If you tire of phrases in sports reporting, even when accurately used, you're missing the point.

The term versatile is annoying. Especially when player is average at best to put it politely
The air must be pretty thin up on Mount Olympus. Versatility is an important characteristic in a player and I've never heard another term that so accurately and succinctly describes the trait. Being annoyed when it is used to describe someone that, to you, doesn't qualify as "above-average" speaks volumes... just not about the player. There are many players that are considered excellent that have no versatility at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots