PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please explain this - Cunningham

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Ok,
I know i'm an idiot; but if Jones is normally the Rt DE and Cunningham is 'giving the RT fits all day' (the Lt DE position) THEN how exactly is Cunningham the REPLACEMENT for JONES??? as the writer in this article is stating?

I dont specifically remember cunningham setting up after Jones came out on the other side; but it could be. But he makes it sound like it was a 1:1.

He also complains about cunningham not being able to set the edge; and that he should only be out there on 3rd down. Well; is there anybody in the league planning on consistently running on Pats on 1st/2nd down??????? After what they have shown on tape in secondary through 11 games??? Again, if he was giving Dolts "fits" then he should be out there and they try to offset any run weakness another way.

Jermaine Cunningham Had Stellar Game Rushing Passer, But Struggled Replacing Chandler Jones’ Run Defense | New England Patriots | NESN.com

.....The third-year defensive end had the tough task of replacing rookie Chandler Jones as an every-down player when Jones left the game with an ankle injury. Between playing Jones’ defensive end spot and Cunningham’s usual third down defensive tackle position......getting into the Colts’ backfield on almost every play, giving right tackle Winston Justice fits on the field.....

One of the rookie’s biggest strengths as a player is setting the edge against the run, using his long arms to pick off running backs trying to run around their left tackle. Cunningham isn’t as strong at the line as Jones, and can be stood up and pushed back more easily.This would typically seem like a terrible idea, but it may be smart for the team to start using a bigger defensive lineman, like Brandon Deaderick, in on first and second down, ...

I was at the game, and it looked like Ninko moved over to RDE, and Cunningham came in to play LDE or OLB on the left side.

does that help?

-- FRITZ

I was at the game, and it looked like Ninko moved over to RDE, and Cunningham came in to play LDE or OLB on the left side.

does that help?

-- FRITZ

Yea this is what I saw as well.

does that help?

-- FRITZ

It helps reinforce my opinion that the writer was confused (either deliberately obfuscating just to try and make his point seem relevant or he just doesn t know what he was talking about).

As I thought: Nink replaced Jones.

Cunningham just got a few more snaps than usual from his OWN position.

Given that Nink was already starting, I think it makes at least as much sense to say that Cunningham "replaced" Jones by taking over his snaps. (And what's more, how can Ninkovich's position be "Cunningham's OWN"? He's most often an extra inside rusher.)

So I'd cut the writer some slack on this one.

I think the opening line is fairly clear. Cunningham replaced Jones "as an every-down player."

Jones was a starting DE.
Cunningham was a third-down rusher.
Jones exited, no longer the every-down player at DE.
Cunningham became the every-down player at DE.

I was also at the game. As has happened before when Jones rotates out, Ninkovich shifts to the RDE spot over the LT. Cunningham took the other starting DE position, which makes sense. He is bigger than Ninkovich, who has also played OLB this season.

Cunningham played well. A good season for him. We might have expected more from a second-round DE by now, but he is definitely showing improvement at DE/DL.

Cunningham played well. A good season for him. We might have expected more from a second-round DE by now, but he is definitely showing improvement at DE/DL.
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "expecting more" from Cunningham. From the start of the season he's been a key part of the DL rotation playing multiple positons (DE, DT, OL) Where exactly should be be at this point? Last year most of this board wanted him gone, and few expected him to make the roster. After being an effective if unspectacular starter at OLB as a rookie, and this key role this season, I'd say the Pats have gotten good value from Cunningham, despite the hiccup he had in the lockout year.

It helps reinforce my opinion that the writer was confused (either deliberately obfuscating just to try and make his point seem relevant or he just doesn t know what he was talking about).

No. Jones went out at RDE, Cunningham went in at LDE, Nink moved to the right side. The writer should have been more clear, but was factually OK.
Cunningham is fine vs the run.

No. Jones went out at RDE, Cunningham went in at LDE, Nink moved to the right side. The writer should have been more clear, but was factually OK.
Cunningham is fine vs the run.

I'd say Cunningham has been as good as Jones in run defense. Before he went out with an injury, there were ~ 2 running plays where Jones couldn't make a tackle after contacting the runner (RB Carter, 1-yd, run, TD - NFL Videos) as one example.

The other example I think I might be confusing Jones penetrating through his gap, and Spikes gambling and losing containment on his assigned gap. The whole run D needed to get their act together in the 1st quarter.

Cunningham has been a 3rd down pass rusher, lining up at DT for many snaps

None of this is what I saw against the Colts. I'll watch the game again, but my first read was the Scott was playing in Chandler's spot, Nink on the other side (his normal spot), and Cunningham came in with the sub-package at a pass-rushing DT (same as he has the past few weeks). I dont think there was any reshuffling of the line or the scheme. Scott was doing his best imitation of Chandler Jones, full stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down