PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please don't bench Stevan Ridley

Status
Not open for further replies.
I thought the fumble was questionable, don't know why BB didn't throw the beanbag. I fumble doesn't erase the game he had. Ridley could be the best back since the turncoat who went to the jests with Parcells.

Corey Dillon said Hi :)

I thought the fumble was questionable, don't know why BB didn't throw the beanbag. I fumble doesn't erase the game he had. Ridley could be the best back since the turncoat who went to the jests with Parcells.

He can't if he did it would have been a 15 yd unsportsmanlike conduct penalty. All turnovers are automatically reviewed. And it was a clear fumble anyway.

Yeah, At least Ridley was making positive yards when he lost the ball. instead BB should bench that other guy who fumbled and lost 20 yards on the play. ;)

(gee I think I mentioned something about his carrying ball loose and in wrong hand recently.) He needed the message in this game; but he is too valuable to keep on the sidelines next game. He just needs a lot of extra practice time as 'punishment' and drills to hone his ball security. that is when/how you deal with it; not in the next game.

After 28 carries, Ridley has to wear down somewhat.

Don't think they will bench him. He brings too much to the run game, but I think we'll see more of Bolden in short yardage and goal line situations, and if the game is close enough with time running out.

Don't think they will bench him. He brings too much to the run game, but I think we'll see more of Bolden in short yardage and goal line situations, and if the game is close enough with time running out.

When McGahee dropped the 4th and 1 pass, I believe there were 10 mins left and we were up 17, Ridley had 21 carries to that point and I was hoping Bolden would be inserted at that point.

Ridley I believe should get the majority of important carries but I think we need to monitor that # carefully espeically when up double digits. Bolden is no slouch himself and hopefully someday Vereen proves to be a reliable, effective backup. IMO it's in our best interest to keep Ridley's carries in the 18-20 range.

I read the article that contained Ridley's comments. If he MEANS it, and does what he said he would, he will be fine. He nailed it with ball security being a must in the 4th quarter. I think Bill will get on him, but Ridley may being harder on himself than Bill will be. He should have already learned the lesson, so I hope he really works on it - I also do not want him to get a fumbler label. Only he can fix it, hopefully complacency is gone. He can be a star in this league, but he must "Tiki" himself. I would not bench him, and I don't think they will - but he may not start. There will probably be punishment, but I think he will also get a chance for redemption - we really cannot remove his ability and what he gives the O in terms of flexibility and balance makes us so much better.

Looking at the fumble again, it was really close to the point that we could have challenged it.

Looking at the fumble again, it was really close to the point that we could have challenged it.
It was also a great play by Von Miller, who is no stiff by the way.

Ummmmm, Ridley is the 4th leading rusher in the NFL with 490 yds and 4 TDs. He's on track to run for 1570 yds and 13 TD's at that rate. He's not getting benched long term. BB took him out of the end of this game just to give the rock to someone else. All of our backs were having some success today, and we only needed a few first downs to seal it up. Why risk another fumble.

Seahawks have an incredibly tough run defense, anyway!

benching ridley would be like benching welker

Yes, he fumbled. He goofed. But overall he had a great game and he has earned his position as a starter by now. Most importantly starting Ridley gives the Pats their best chance to win. Make him work on ball security in practice extra hours on top of regular practice but let's not bench him, mmmkay? Agreed?! From our lips to BB's ears then, LOL.

I had the thought to. But Gronk and Welker fumbled last week. Ridley is has 490 yards rushing in 5 games. I don't think BB is a fool.

There is only two guys in the top 10 in rushing that haven't fumbled. Alfred Morris and Ray Rice. If Foster doesn't fumble tomorrow he'll join the top 10 and hasn't fumbled

Charles and McCoy have fumbled thrice. Gore has fumbled twice. Lynch, Peterson, Bush and Jones-Drew all once.

#1 backs fumble.

Last edited:
Bring Back BJGE!!!!!!

oh...wait...HE's got three fumbles....nevermind

Dear Bill,
I know you don't care about such things but please keep pounding the rock with Ridley. Between him, Brady, and Gronk I'm winning my fantasy league. Not to mention the balance on offense has been a joy to watch on Sunday's and I think Ridley is a key componet to this.
All the best
Pazrul72

Ridley looked forlorn after his fumble. I'm willing to bet he'll double down on his efforts to hold the ball for the remainder of the season.

Bolden coming in for the next series (after the Ninko forced fumble on McGahee) seemed to be part of 4 back rotation they were using yesterday.

He did not goof. That was a great play from Von Miller. There are some instances where you need to give credit to the other team and this was one of them. BB should be fair. Not all fumbles are the same.

Ridley also carried 28 times. You put in someone's hands that much you have to expect that a defender will get a good hand on the ball once very 30 plays or so.

No doubt Ridley is beating himself up and will focus more on ball security in the future, but hopefully not at the expense of his explosive instincts

Ridley also carried 28 times. ....

Bruschi said today that BB would more likely reduce Ridley's number of carries in a game. I can't see BB being so drastic as to bench him. The only way I could see benching as a consideration is if Ridley repeatedly did something he was coached not to do.

All of the fear of Ridley getting benched stems from late last year. As others have pointed out, Ridley is simply too explosive and productive in this "no huddle power run" offense to bench. We will likely see more of Bolden, Woodhead, and possibly Vereen. Furthermore, Ridley's touches will likely be truncated to the 18-22 range to keep him fresh short term and long.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes