PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please define the word "homer"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I define a homer as

1.) one who places a critical eye on another team's faults and a blind eye to the Patriots' faults.

Miguel said:
I define a homer as

1.) one who places a critical eye on another team's faults and a blind eye to the Patriots' faults.

:) Linguistically, your post conveys that only Patriots fans are homers. I'm sure it's not a unique thing to New England!

Last edited:
Miguel said:
I define a homer as

At last a usable definition.

I don't have a blind eye to the Patriots. I have both eyes open through rose colored glasses.

I guess then I'm not a homer but I want to be.

PATSNUTme said:
Today must be dumb thread day so I thought I would add to it.

I've seen the word "homer' used in a post today. This word seems to be used a lot in the past several weeks. Usually it comes up when someone wants to take a shot at another poster who is being too positive about the team.

I looked it up in a few dictionaries and there is no definition in the way it is used on this board.

Now, I consider myself to be a 'homer" when it comes to the Patriots.

My definition is: Someone who loves their team, is loyal to the team, will give the team the benefit of the doubt in most cases becasue they have earned it.

However, if a player, coach, or management person does something that is wrong, makes a bad play or call, I'll criticize them for it. But, I'm not looking for things just to be critical.

What is your definition of the word "homer' as it applies to fans?

I would love to hear from the ones who use it on this board to find out what exactly they mean.

Spacecrime is a homer. When someone presents a possible problem for the Pats (I know, the Pats have no problems) instead of discussing it, he just posts "Oh no, we're doomed" over and over again. In other words, he doesn't actually talk about the problem, he just makes fun of the poster by insinuating that the Patriots have no problems, it's ridiculous to be concerned about any aspect of the team and anyone who displays any concern isn't a real fan. That's a homer. Also, anyone who tries to back something up by only using the idiotic phrase, "In Bill we Trust." That's a homer.

Last edited:
Homer%20Simpson1.jpg

What do you call, conversely, a person who seems to want to discuss only Patriots 'problems' with no acknowledgement that the team and its management - on balance - has proven quite capable over a long period of time to address these 'problems'? And when they get a response that indicates a degree of confidence on the part of other fans that the team will not be overcome by said 'problem', they immediately label them a 'homer'? What do you call that?

Pats67 said:
What do you call, conversely, a person who seems to want to discuss only Patriots 'problems' with no acknowledgement that the team and its management - on balance - has proven quite capable over a long period of time to address these 'problems'? And when they get a response that indicates a degree of confidence on the part of other fans that the team will not be overcome by said 'problem', they immediately label them a 'homer'? What do you call that?

A "Mikey".

Miguel said:
I define a homer as

I would substitute 20-30 vision instead of blind, most of us homers know there are problems.. but believe they will all be overcome by BB and SP.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back