PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Please define the word "homer"

Status
Not open for further replies.

PATSNUTme

Paranoid Homer ex-moderator
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Today must be dumb thread day so I thought I would add to it.

I've seen the word "homer' used in a post today. This word seems to be used a lot in the past several weeks. Usually it comes up when someone wants to take a shot at another poster who is being too positive about the team.

I looked it up in a few dictionaries and there is no definition in the way it is used on this board.

Now, I consider myself to be a 'homer" when it comes to the Patriots.

My definition is: Someone who loves their team, is loyal to the team, will give the team the benefit of the doubt in most cases becasue they have earned it.

However, if a player, coach, or management person does something that is wrong, makes a bad play or call, I'll criticize them for it. But, I'm not looking for things just to be critical.

What is your definition of the word "homer' as it applies to fans?

I would love to hear from the ones who use it on this board to find out what exactly they mean.

Last edited:
PATSNUTme said:
Today must be dumb thread day so I thought I would add to it.

Homer: adj., as in 'Homer' Simpson, i.e., blind to his environment beyond all logical comprehension. But with humor.....("You're saying butt-kisser like it's a bad thing.") Doh!

I would say it is someone that drinks way to much koolaid to critically look at his/her team. They cannot see things in reality.

If a Packers fan said “WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE SUPPERBOWL†I would call that person “a homer.â€

Last edited by a moderator:
In the title, I did use H, but in the context of the thread, I used "h".

So Homer Simpson and the Greek, Homer, do not count in relationship to this thread.

But, I did ask for your definition, so-----

PatsSaintsSox said:
I would say it is someone that drinks way to much koolaid to critically look at his/her team. They cannot see things in reality.

If a Packers fan said “WE ARE GOING TO WIN THE SUPPERBOWL†I would call that person “a homer.â€

But how do you differentiate that from the "casual" fan who says the same things (like the Falcons "fan" who said to me today "We really kicked your team's ass on Friday night!") Maybe we just call them idiots?

PatsSaintsSox said:

That's pretty much dead on. But on the other side of the coin, if you are exactly the opposite, you're either a "troll" or worse...a Jets fan!! :eek: I speak from past experience. :D

I would think there are many on this board who would qualify.

People who think because you have won 3 of 5 SB's, that you will win 3 of the next 5, without remembering the 30+ years with no success. It ain't that easy, lol.

Homer=Michigan Dave. A person so foolishly blinded by loyalty that he convices himself right about this time every season that the Patriots will go 16-0 and Michigan will go 12-0.

Homers have been known to throw fits when large quantities of vodka are combined with playoff defeats to the Broncos, and bars in the city of Ann Arbor where people are rooting for said Denver team are known to suffer damage.

I know nothing of this.

If you want to know the definition of a "homer", watch and listen to a White Sox TV broadcast.

In my opinion the term homer is generally used as a cop out response to someone that says anything positive about their own team. It used to mean something, but now it's overused and abused.

Last edited:
texpat said:

People who think because you have won 3 of 5 SB's, that you will win 3 of the next 5, without remembering the 30+ years with no success. It ain't that easy, lol.

I would consider it to be just the opposite.

There are many of us that do remember the bad times. The times when the Patriots were the laughng stock of the NFL and sports in general. The several times that we were worried that our team would be moved to another part of the country.

So, we are very grateful to this regime and don't take it for granted. And, we do give it the benefit of the doubt.

But , if that's the way you define it, fine.

Boston fans have been brainwashed, by the mediots who want to sensationalize because they basically know next to nothing about the Sport, they cover. Alternatively, they are just too lazy to learn, and to work digging for information, like a guy like Mike Reiss does.

They can and do disrupt a Team. Johnny Most, a self-confessed "homer", contributed a minimum of 5-10 victories a year to the Celtics by accentuating the positive, but reserving his occasional criticism to players an people who really deserved it. He would never jump on a limited talent guy who was giving great effort. He merely pointed out the talent wasn't there. Not like the mediots who don't know, and don't care, and would be happy to come in after the fact, shoot the Innocent, reward the Guilty, and promote the Incompetent, who offered them a tasty quote.

They cover this up by saying that they are not "homers" and a merely dispassionate seekers after truth. Bovine Pasture Patties !! It's laziness or malevolence.

Fans pickup on this approach and adopt it, unfortunately. And think it shows how "smart" they are by criticizing, criticizing, criticizing, constantly chewing on some little bone of truth about a weakness, until it becomes very, very old, and overly tiresome, and magnified beyond all recognition or proportion.

The fans adopt the coloration and defense of the mediots too; deflecting all counter vailing opinion as idiotic, or beneath contempt.

When you hit one over the Green Monster.

Patriotic said:
When you hit one over the Green Monster.

So, those who have been calling poeple 'homers' on this board, are actually calling them baseball players.

The final insult.:mad:

texpat said:

right, because the team today bears a striking resemblance to the one that sucked for 30 years. therefore a truly objective individual can clearly tell that by next season, Miami will be, as Jerome Solomon put it, "easily better than the Pats."

nobody dares ask Solomon to back up that cynicism ...for fear of being called a homer....this is a very scary disease and I fear the journalists are winning the war.

the problem with taking a cynical tact on the Pats right now is that it's not a glass half-full/empty proposition...the glass is well over half-full.

in the cyberage of 24x7x365 mass media, you have to scream louder to be heard...so you invent dumb things to say that you actually start believing (i.e. Andy Hart's moronic pre-draft prediction of an 8-8 season).

"homers" are optimistic even when their team obviously sucks. if you have ANY perspective of the league outside of New England (I wonder about some of us), there's no logical way you can't be positive about the Pats this season.

For every potential negative that has guys like Borges and Felger creaming ('ooh, Caldwell dropped the ball I've got my lead story!'), relative to other teams, the Pats have an abundance of positives.

but beat-writers have their own bills to pay.

By definition, pundits are "critics" which is to say they are by nature CRITICAL. When the team they cover is actually good, they continue being critical and therefore become cynical. Don't let them make you believe you are a homer. None of us thought this team was any good under prior regimes...we're the one's being consistent -- not them.

There are ALWAYS reasons to be critical -- the bigger question which we as fans must judge (given a balanced consumption of all available outlets), is whether the overal situation is a net plus. But before a pundit ever admits things are generally good, they'll point out how bad the backup guys are (yes, that's why they are backups) before they admit the starters are pretty good. The headline then becomes "we have no depth" versus, hey our frontline guys are pretty good, and by the way, if you find a team with backups that compare to their starters let us know.

The key is to spin things in a polished way that persuades us to see our impending doom.

too bad...it's pretty damn enjoyable being a fan of this team right now...I say enjoy it...call me a homer...a kool-aid drinker...that's cool with me.

Even though I am predicting a 16-0 season, I am not a homer because last year I predicted 12-4.

Well, maybe I am just a little bit of a homer.

PATNUTSme said:
The truth is I just don't feel like I get enough attention. (sigh).

Well,looks like someone on my ignore list has decided to play little schoolgirl games.

The final play of the game is about to be played though.

PATSNUTme said:
Well,looks like someone on my ignore list has decided to play little schoolgirl games.

At least we ALL can ignore them now.

Clonamery said:
At least we ALL can ignore them now.

I just added this user name on the same dead to me list as his other user name.

I guess some people are just too big cowards to post things under their own name.

Anyway, I would still like to know from those who use the "homer" word what they mean.

Last edited:
Aw, shucks PatsNutsMeAbout. I just don't think you can claim the mantle of 'homer'. You are just too reasonable - sorry about that.

How about discriminating logical perceptive unbiased eyes-wide-open supporter ? Naaaaah. That's not classy enough. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back