Welcome to PatsFans.com

"Please buy anything you can to help out."

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by weswelker#83, Apr 30, 2008.

1. weswelker#83

weswelker#83 Rookie

Ratings:
    +12 / 0 / -0

Last edited: Apr 30, 2008
  2. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

3. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +127 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

If you read closer these people are selling epensive items as in clothes,sterios etc. I'm sure that there are people out there that spent their money wisely and are in trouble because of the cost of food and gas going up. But when an R.N. is selling desighner clothes,and says becasue she can't find a job? Are you kidding me an R.N. that can't find a job.Somethings wrong. I think a lot of these people just wanted all the goodies they could get and overextended themselves.
  4. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Yep, a good number of people need to re-establish the baseline for what normal expectations are. Why this person can't find a job is a mystery, there was high demand for nurses just a month ago :

http://money.cnn.com/2008/03/25/news/economy/nurse/index.htm?section=money_latest
  5. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

"A good number of people"... i love that, coming from a staunch conservative... in other words, anyone who's not below upper management...

your "everything is gonna be fine" mantra is as transparent as a Mike Martz pledge to be a power running football team.

the economy is directly linked to energy... and the latter ain't getting any better any time soon, especially when our "leaders" keep the truth from the public and perpetuate an endless war for natural resources....
  6. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

So you don't think too many people, way too many people, live beyond their means to the point there's nothing to fall back on if they need it ?

It's not a person's fault if they can only earn a so-so salary - but it is their fault if they spend beyond that.
  7. PressCoverage

PressCoverage Banned

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -0

Great... but people living "beyond their means," isn't even 1/10th of the overall problem...

There's a crisis looming here. The economy is linked to energy. Some of us recognize it, and are willing to acknowledge it. Others, however, insist everything will be fine and not to overreact.

Interestingly, it's the same kind of people who insisted that Iraq would be fine, we'd find WMDs, and that Fred Thompson "has a great chance."
  8. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Rookie

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

I agree that there's an energy crisis looming ahead. It actually exists now but we haven't felt the full effects of it. But not all of our economic problems are due to it. The future may prove differently.

Right now, though, this country is in a credit crisis. Many people over-extended the last 10-15 years. Couples without children bought 3 bedroom homes. Soome levereged their equity to further extend their debt to buy timeshares and vacation homes. Others speculated on the real estate market- especially "income properties" that ended going belly up.

People in America have also become lazy - intellectually, psychologically, and physically lazy. They expect to become rich easily. They see so many rich people on TV and assume that, as Americans, they have a birthright to it. They are not willing to put in the time and work needed to become rich if they aren't already born that way. It's a matter of greed, envy, and jealousy. I have personally seen this behavior in some of my friends. I was guilty of it myself at one time in my life. Some people still operate under the idea that they can incur debt, default, and file bankruptcy. They are shocked when their lawyer tells them that the laws are changed and they aren't eligible.

People take more risks now than they ever did. They bought into the investment trends, daytrading websites, and other get-rich-quick schemes that were unheard of 15 years ago.

Another problem has been the trend of people becoming their own bosses - working under contract or starting their own small businesses that proved to be too much for them. This was a result of the realization that the loyalty pacts between employees and employers that were once understood in America were no longer there.

Things cost more. Healthcare, fuel, food...all that is true and most of the blame for that can be pt at the feet of the Corporate whores of America, but don't forget that these are the same corporations who are funded and supported by small and mid-sized investors via mutual funds and equities. And people still refuse to carpool, eat local foods, and take care of themselves physically. Corporations and their operators are heinously irresponsible, for sure, but we could do a lot to change that. Individually (and collectively, I'm afraid), we're to lazy and comfy to do so.
  9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

Maybe there is a crisis but this thread, to me, is more of the individual buying too much and not leaving a nestegg, however small, for times it is needed.
  10. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +500 / 13 / -11

#24 Jersey

I really think the poor think the upper middle class and above just walk into it. Sure, those who inherit do. But doctors, lawyers, then at a little lower level, engineers, small business owners actually have to work a lot, in school and later, to get what they get. As you are saying, I am starting to think the poor think it's just some automatic thing. That's the only explanation I can come up with for why the poor drop out of high school then complain they can't get a job.