Welcome to PatsFans.com

Plea deal offered to 8-year-old murder suspect

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by reflexblue, Dec 1, 2008.

1. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

This whole case has been bizzare from the begining. About two weeks ago the 8 year old shoots and kills his father and his fathers friend. Theres been no explanation/motive. The kid when questioned by the police and had no lawyer or legal guardian present,and confessed to the shooting. I do believe thats against the defendants legal rights.
    Now the prosecution is offering a plea deal,originally they wanted to wait until he was old enough to be charged as an adult then charge him with murder. There is obviously something wrong with the eight year old,but how can it possibly be legal to wait until hes old enough to be tried as an adult when he committed the crime as what amounts to a little kid. Its as crazy as former Gov. Weld's idea i.e. if someone commits a crime such as murder but is legaly insane the defendant is put away and if by chance (a new medication comes along for example) he is no longer insane then you charge him with the murder. How could you charge a person who is sane NOW with something they did when they were insane?
    Anyways there must be some precedent,this must have happened before sometime somewhere. I wondered how this would have been handled 30-40 years ago. Juvenile detention, probation until hes 18? Thoughts

Plea deal offered to 8-year-old murder suspect - Yahoo! News
    PHOENIX – Prosecutors have offered a plea deal to an 8-year-old boy charged with murder in the shooting deaths of his father and another man in their eastern Arizona home, court records show.

Complete details of the offer weren't spelled out in a court filing posted Saturday on the Apache County Superior Court's Web site.

But County Attorney Criss Candelaria wrote that he has "tendered a plea offer to the juvenile's attorneys that would resolve all the charges in the juvenile court contingent on the results of the mental health evaluations."

Candelaria was responding to a defense motion seeking to block him from dropping one of two first-degree murder charges the boy faces in the deaths of his father, Vincent Romero, 29, and Timothy Romans, 39, earlier this month.

Defense attorney Benjamin Brewer argued in a filing Tuesday that prosecutors wanted the charge dismissed so they could refile it when the boy was older and pursue case in adult court.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2008
  2. PatsWSB47

PatsWSB47 Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +172 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

I'd laugh if this wasn't such a tragedy. Prosecutors always go for the absolute highest charge they can just because they can. I don’t know if it’s because they think they have to so that any plea they may offer winds up as the charge they actually should come up with in the first place or if they’re just drunk with power.

Creepy situation with that kid. Does this remind anyone of Michael Myers in Halloween?

3. DarrylS

DarrylS PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +369 / 11 / -27

Apparently this case has its origins in abuse by the father.. but that is not really known at this time.. but claimed by the grandmother.

The reality is that any mental health evaluation will indicate that he is either not capable of making such a decision and is a naive offender or temporarily insane. This seems to just be a ploy to blame the evaluator and somehow relieve the pressure of the AG..

If he were to go to jail, he would have to be housed in a very special unit.. he is even too young for juvenile detention centers.. this is a real conundrum.. and a loose loose situation for all.

4. wistahpatsfan

wistahpatsfan Pro Bowl Player

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

No 8 year-old kills his father for no reason.
    Let the kid go, put him under therapy and tight observation. He's a little boy. It's absurd there are even charges being discussed! He probably deserves a medal. I think we'll find out more about the dead father soon...like what a drunken, abusive aszhole he was.

5. PatriotsReign

PatriotsReign Hall of Fame Poster

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Just because a human is a child does not warrent sympathy. You want sympathy, look in the dictionary and you'll find it between sh1t & syphilus. I have no sympathy for this little monster.

This evil THING can not be allowed back into the general public. I don't care what his circumstance. Let the state take care of him for 5-10 years. Or we could let him back with his mother so he can slice her throat:D

6. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

The smile face means you're kidding, right? It's Monday and I'm not too sharp right now....:confused:

7. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

It was more sarcasm wistah. I really have no sympathy for this kid...he scares the crap out of me. I pretty much meant everything I said.

8. wistahpatsfan

Ratings:
    +13 / 0 / -1

#75 Jersey

What do you think caused him to do it?
    I think he'll have problems in the future, but I'll to bet that his father had it coming. There's very little a kid can do to protect himself from an abusive parent. I'm still hoping for the best possible outcome, I suppose. That is, the kid blew away his aszhole dad and he is a hero for doing us a favor.

9. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

He'd make a good Gang Banger

10. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

Sorry PR, but this is one of the most thoughtless posts I've ever seen from you.

Not only do you not know the specifics (i.e. if he was abused), but you're talking about an 8 year old boy as an "evil thing" and a "little monster."

You don't care what his circumstance is? Really?

"just because a human is a child?"

Pretty disappointing.

11. reflexblue

reflexblue PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +130 / 4 / -0

#91 Jersey

Your comment about the prosecutor is what i was thinking. The public wants Justice! Justice what kind of justice do you bring down on an 8 year old? Prosecutors are always trying to advance their careers by tallying up how many people they can convict. But if I was a prosecutor i wouldn't be proud of hanging this pelt on the wall. There is obviously something wrong here. From what i remember originally the kids father had just shown him how to use the gun a .22. The kid was not the stereotypical loner who is bullied in school,but rather just a regular kid by all accounts.
    If he was sexually abused i have sympathy for him and can understand why he would do something like this. If he shot his father because his father disciplined him yelled at him even spanked him of course i don't. But eight years old is a gray area as far as reality goes. Its quite possible he didn't understand how permanent killing someone is. Its not like a video game where you get to play again. Anyways i doubt he could ever be convicted because of being interrogated without counsel or a legal guardian present.

12. Harry Boy

Harry Boy Look Up, It's Amazing PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +667 / 2 / -9

:singing: This from PR the same guy that has to be sedated because I call Obama "a jerk".

13. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

You're right, we don't know the facts. So the worst case scenario is that his father was abusive. but thus far, there is no evidence that supports that theory.

The bottom line is the kid cold bloodedly shot 2 people dead and he's dangerous. Tell you what Wildo...why don't you take him in your loving arms and care for him til the trial is over:rolleyes:

It's ok we don't agree. It makes neither one of us right or wrong.

14. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Why thank you Harry!;)

15. Wildo7

Wildo7 Totally Full of It

Ratings:
    +39 / 2 / -0

No 8 year old is beyond rehabilitation, and if he is, it isn't his fault.

And I'm right and you're wrong:D

Seriously though, I'm not trying to be a dick PR, I wouldn't bother arguing this point with someone I didn't find reasonable.

16. PatriotsReign

Ratings:
    +387 / 3 / -15

Wildo....PLEASE give me a hard time anytime you please. That's what this board is all about. You're as passionate as I am about your beliefs and I like that. We're cool bud.