PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playoff Scenarios - Week 14

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's to a Pats win and an upset from Buffalo (not that it would be a huge upset). Get this division clinched.

thanks, as usual, miguel. i know it's early, but do you have a quick read on getting a bye week? my impression is that it's gonna be tough unless we win out and get some help in the form of a loss by Baltimore or San Diego.

I am ones of those people already trying to see who we could play first round. I would like to see the Jets and Jags make it instead of Broncos and Chiefs. I do not like our match ups against the latter 2 teams.

Best case senerio we get the number 2 seed.. 1 is not out of reach, but would not be uspet at the number 2 .. Just would love the bye..

Also , I know its stupid and crazy, but I want no part of the Jets in the playoffs.. Sorry you can say the schedule is easy, you can say that Pennignton has a noodle arm, but the fact is The Jets know how to beat us. I might even take Denver now before I take the Jets, although Denver is our Daddy as well...

Best case senerio we get the number 2 seed.. 1 is not out of reach, but would not be uspet at the number 2 .. Just would love the bye..

Also , I know its stupid and crazy, but I want no part of the Jets in the playoffs.. Sorry you can say the schedule is easy, you can say that Pennignton has a noodle arm, but the fact is The Jets know how to beat us. I might even take Denver now before I take the Jets, although Denver is our Daddy as well...
The Jets that the Patriots have beaten in 7 out of the last 8 games? Is your feeling because of Mangini?

I would LOVE to play the Puffin & his Jets in the playoffs. They shot their load.

I would LOVE to play the Puffin & his Jets in the playoffs. They shot their load.

I don't know about playing the Jets in the playoffs. They appear to be setting up as a cinderella team.
They have by far the easiest schedule of the 9 potential playoff teams. They face the Bills, Vikes, Phins and Raiders. They are the only potential playoff team that does not have to face an opponent that has a legitimate shot at the playoffs. They should win out, and that would mean a lot of confidence to that team.

The Jets that the Patriots have beaten in 7 out of the last 8 games? Is your feeling because of Mangini?

Yes , I know the pats played well the first game this yr ,except for a few busted plays.. But Mangini will have his guys up for the challenge, and BB will add to the fire about not mentioning his name etc.. I would rather the Jets stay home, or just let them go to the playoffs and get wacked by Baltimore.. But for me I do not want to see the Jets at all...

I don't see much cause for worrying about the Jets. Their only good win came against us, and that was with 2-weeks of prep time, a sloppy field and a fluke TD that was, to quote Simms, "a TERRIBLE decision by Chad Pennington". They pulled out the W but that was more of us playing poorly than NYJ being better.

Right now, we're the 4th seed. PRESUMING WE WIN OUT THE SCHEDULE, we only have a realistic chance to the 3rd seed, and slight chances to do even better...

BALTIMORE - We would need them to lose just 1 of their 4 games remaining games, all against the AFC. They play at KC and Pittsburgh, and hosts Cleveland and Buffalo. If Baltimore should win out, they would have the better conference record and out-seed us.

SAN DIEGO - We need them to either (a) lose a conference game; they host Denver and Kansas City, they would be favored to win each. If they lose just one conference game, we will be tied both by record and the conference record tiebreaker, and would win by strength-of-whatever (schedule or wins? doesn't matter, we have a big advantage in both over them). - OR - (b) lose both their non-conference games, giving us a better record. SD losing only to Seattle wouldn't matter; we would be tied by record, but SD would still have the better conference record and take the tiebreaker.

INDIANPOLIS - Still a chance here, if they continue to crack. They have all conference games remaining (at Jacksonville and Houston, hosting Cincinnati and Miami) and we would need them to lose two of them. This is a stretch, but not out of the realm of possiblity.

PRESUMING WE LOSE ONE MORE GAME...

BALTIMORE - We would need them to lose 2 of their 4 games remaining games; I think their two away games will be difficult for them.

SAN DIEGO - We need them to either lose both conference games to win by the conference tiebreaker, or any 3 games to out-seed them by record outright. VERY unlikely.

INDIANPOLIS - We would need them to lose three of their remaining games. VERY unlikely.

Conclusion - Unfortunately, I believe we'll get only the 3rd seed.

However, I've seen crazier things happen in the past. Remember 2001 when after week 15 we needed the Jets to lose a game, either vs Buffalo (3-13) or at Oakland, to win the division? Losing to Oakland seemed probable, but we also needed Oakland to lose both their two final games to out seed them. Well, Buffalo went into New York and pulled a HUGE upset, which opened the way for the Jets going into Oakland and upsetting the Raiders there to get the Pats the #2 seed.

Hang on!

Assuming we don't get a bye :

- I want the Jesters badly. They would be the easiest matchup and I remember them running onto our field as if they'd won the Super Bowl a few weeks ago. Payback's a b!tch baby.

- I want no part of Cincy. Our win against them earlier aside, their passing game against our secondary scares the bajezus out of me.

Yes , I think Baltimore will lose 2 more games, KC, and at Pitt . I also think San Diego will lose 2 more game, including to Denver... I know Im being crazy optimistic, but I do think its possible.. I think 1 loss for us is possible , but have a feeling we will win out.. I say we get the number 2 ,with Indy getting 1 and SD 3 Balt 4

No way that SD defense looses to a rookie QB at home, so the SD/Denver is an SD win. The SD/KC game is much tougher for SD because KC has a better running game and QB.

Sean -
Don't make the Jets last win over the Pats bigger than it should be. The Pats were without Seymour, Warren, Wilson, and Harrison that game. ANd Graham was out on the offense.

When you are missing 5 starters, its going to be a tough game.

Also, the field was a disaster.

If the Pats play the Jets, I look forward to that game.

GO PATS!!!I would take on the Jets. There is no way we lose to the Jets two in a row. If everybody back watch out and BB is will be looking forward to this. He will school the student.

at the moment the AFC team i consider more dangerous is absolutely SD

the Bolts are for real

SAN DIEGO - We need them to either (a) lose a conference game; they host Denver and Kansas City, they would be favored to win each. If they lose just one conference game, we will be tied both by record and the conference record tiebreaker, and would win by strength-of-whatever (schedule or wins? doesn't matter, we have a big advantage in both over them). - OR - (b) lose both their non-conference games, giving us a better record. SD losing only to Seattle wouldn't matter; we would be tied by record, but SD would still have the better conference record and take the tiebreaker.

You are forgetting about common games, which comes before strength of victory. If San Diego beats Denver they are undefeated in common games, while we have a loss (to Denver).

If the Jets get into the playoffs, that will only make them more dangerous next year because they will believe in themselves. I want them to enjoy as little success as possible for as long a possible. Period. Same goes for every other team in our division.

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes