PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playing Not To Lose (Offense and Defense)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The_Riddler

2nd Team Getting Their First Start
Reaction score
This has become an all too common theme for this football team, ESPECIALLY, in the biggest of games. "The fear of losing".

Offensively in crunch time:

We have one of the greatest QB's in the history of football who when operating out of the 4 and 5-wide spread offense is virtually unstoppable and when we have the ball in the last 4 minutes to put a football team AWAY, we decide we want to try to work the clock down and force the Ravens into using their timeouts before the 2-minute warning, instead of playing to WIN THE GAME and SCORING.

Stop worrying about the clock!!, it hasn't helped us in the past, it's only hurt us as the "PASSIVE" approach and the Brady-under-center, conservative play-calling, taking the ball out of Brady's hands and running these BS toss sweeps and useless running plays for 1 and 2 yards to try to take seconds off the clock is FOOLISH and it plays into the other teams hands.

The Ravens were so grateful for our passive approach last night. The last thing they wanted to see was Brady in an every down 5-wide spread offense to close out a game. Brady under center in our base offense normally means a running play, gee do you think the Ravens know this Josh ? We played not to lose the game and that familiar theme that we've seen in the past happens all over again, are we going to learn ? Our passive attempt to kill a clock fails, we turn the ball over on downs and here comes the game winning drive AGAIN. Gee haven't we seen this before.

** BB and Josh, play the for the win for once, be AGRESSIVE, use your strength, try to score using your 5-wide spread strength (Yes even with a lead in the last 4 minutes Josh), keep them on their heels and put a frigin fork in the opponent, don't worry about making a team use up their timeouts before the 2 minute warning with these safe little useless 1-yard running plays. BS !!!!!

Defensively in crunch time:

Every time we've tried to close out a game defensively, BB decides he wants to only rush 4 lineman on the final opponent's drive. In every single bad loss in a big game that we've had, BB decides to sit back in that bend-but-don't-break, "Passive", keep everything in front of you defense, that in crunch time, HASN'T WORKED !!!! and NEVER WILL !!!!!

When we needed the ball last week against the Cardinals we blitzed 6-7 guys and it worked ! We forced quick, poor throws when brining the heat. The Ravens did the same damn thing to us last night and it worked ! You have to send pressure even when trying to preserve a lead. Don't sit back, it hasn't worked and won't work going forward. Bring the heat, force a quick decision from a slow-footed Flacco. Why are you sitting back ??

Horrible game management and "Passive" execution at the ends of football games (both offensively and defensively) has absolutely killed this team in the biggest of games.

Playing "not to lose" again.

I am trying to look past the poor officiating here. And I remember something from the end of the game last night that has me troubled as I saw the same thing happen last week. And thats the Pats playing it safe at the end of the game.

Last week the Pats had the ball with :45 seconds left and took a knee twice instead of trying to get some extra yards.

Last night the Pats had the ball at the end of the 3rd/start of the 4th inside the ravens 10 yard line with a 6 point lead. The Pats were moving the ball well and Brady was getting time in the pocket. On first down they did a draw up the middle out of the shotgun that nearly got Brady killed. 2nd down, they went back to the same play and again got nothing. They finally attemtped a pass on 3rd and got 6 yards and I feel settled for the FG. I understand this made it a two possession game in the 4th, but the D was not playing good and I thought the Pats should have been more agressive on 1st and 2nd down.

Last edited:
Re: Playing "not to lose" again.

I was very vocal about the poor management in the AZ game at the end, but I don't have any issues with last night. I mean, the play-calling could have been a little better but it was more the Ravens just stepping up to the plate. When we ran Woodhead on the goal line, the same thing had just worked for a TD the last drive. I don't think it was them getting too conservative I just think they thought that was the best chance of getting into the end zone.

The last drive was purely on Brady IMO, I think he must have fell asleep or something. On 2nd and 8 he didn't read the blitz off the edge? Not sure how he didn't see that and adjust. That was the killer right there IMO, because our defense obviously wasn't stopping the Ravens. At least give yourself a chance to convert 3rd/4th down.

Not excluding the horrific officiating which was the worst I have ever seen, the momentum changed when the patriots were on a drive and did that stupid trick direct snap play which went for a big loss. The Ravens defense is too good to have running plays that start that deep.

Agree 100%. Playing not to lose was what lost us the game. Brady was crisp last night and at the most crucial moments of the game they took the ball out of his hands. They needed to pass for a couple of first downs to close out the game and the OC froze up. I would rather lose with Brady throwing a pick then to see our defense gets abused at the end of another game.

Agree 100%. Playing not to lose was what lost us the game. Brady was crisp last night and at the most crucial moments of the game they took the ball out of his hands. They needed to pass for a couple of first downs to close out the game and the OC froze up. I would rather lose with Brady throwing a pick then to see our defense gets abused at the end of another game.
This is on Brady as well.

He badly missed the blitz read on 2nd and he, AFAIK, has the option to audible out of any call sent in.

Not excluding the horrific officiating which was the worst I have ever seen, the momentum changed when the patriots were on a drive and did that stupid trick direct snap play which went for a big loss. The Ravens defense is too good to have running plays that start that deep.

That play was very poorly thought out. At that point in the game the Ravens were attacking the line with their defense and were in a rush the line/blitzing mode from end to end. The player who made the tackle came through the left side of the line untouched. You should not be running plays laterally when the D is in blitz/crash the line mode because it takes too long to develop the play. That situation called for quick short passes, perhaps to a very tall TE who could go out 3 to 4 yds, turn around and jump up to catch the ball thrown high and over the heads of those on-rushing defenders?
Should have dinked and dunked the Ravens to death to end that game.
This offense is simply incapable of closing out games.
Been a problem for awhile now and obviously it continues.
The Patriots had a 1st down approaching midfield with under 3 minutes left to go in the game and proceeded to go 3 and out - lost yardage doing so and had to punt the ball back to the Ravens BEFORE the 2 minute warning.
Are you kidding me?????
Been wildly unimpressed with the game coaching this season on both sides of the ball.

The last drive was purely on Brady IMO, I think he must have fell asleep or something.

Brady's great, but it's been awhile since he's been the man in the biggest spots.

I hate prevent defense

last drive 2007 sb

I think every team has a tendency to "play conservative" to protect the lead. You see it week in and week out. I don't generally have a problem with it. Beyond the "ref situation" last night, I can really only complain about play calling. So far this year, I think McD has lost a step since 2007. He needs to get into mid-season form in a hurry.

That had to have been a play scripted into the gameplan, but BB should have overruled it or McDaniels should have been more on the ball and changed it. Because of the way their D was playing us and the way we were moving the ball as a result, you couldn't draw up a worse play in that situation even if you tried.

But if it was a spontaneous call, then Josh is like the Brett Favre of OCs. The Gunslinger. Reminded me of BOBs opening play in last years SB.

One tipped ball in the RZ returned for a touchdown is a reason to play conservative when you have a 7 pt lead and going up by 2 scores is more important in the 4th quarter.

Cant argue with playing it safe there and getting the sure 3 to go up by two scores. My problem is that they didnt score again in the remaining 14:00

They do not have the defense to play it safe anymore..

So you're basically saying that you enjoy going to the Super Bowl, and losing?

Because that's all I'm hearing.

Listen, good teams know how to shut down a 5 wide set. With no fear of the run, you rush 3 or 4, and drop 7 or 8 into coverage. Just like the Giants did to us BOTH times.

I understand your angle, but if the Patriots don't establish a balanced offense, they aren't going to win *****. The run opens the under neath, which opens play action, which opens the run etc etc. Besides the fancy end arounds that McD called, the play calling was FINE. The execution was PISS POOR.

And, the refs didn't do us ANY favors. Complain all you want, because the team played poorly, and we kinda got robbed all night...but you're talking crazy talk. LOL :p

So you're basically saying that you enjoy going to the Super Bowl, and losing?

Because that's all I'm hearing.

Listen, good teams know how to shut down a 5 wide set. With no fear of the run, you rush 3 or 4, and drop 7 or 8 into coverage. Just like the Giants did to us BOTH times.

I understand your angle, but if the Patriots don't establish a balanced offense, they aren't going to win *****. The run opens the under neath, which opens play action, which opens the run etc etc. Besides the fancy end arounds that McD called, the play calling was FINE. The execution was PISS POOR.

And, the refs didn't do us ANY favors. Complain all you want, because the team played poorly, and we kinda got robbed all night...but you're talking crazy talk. LOL :p

Yup. Pretty much HATE crying about play calls. It's downright Jets-sonian.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye