PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playing for Brady re: passing Montana

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey -- I mentioned in another thread that I'd like to see some stats comparing some QBs in playoffs in recent years. So I just had a boring WebEx at work and used the time to do some research. This is what I came up with.

Stats are since playoffs that followed 2007 season; hope this is right!:

QB...........Games.......W-L........TD.......INT.....Yards.......QB Rating
Rodgers.......7.............4-3........16.........4...........2,055........105.4
Brady..........8.............4-4........18.........11..........2,068.........90.13
P Manning....6.............2-4.........11.........4...........1,893.........98.27
Brees..........6.............4-2.........17.........2...........2,064........109.4
Flacco.........10............5-5.........10.........9...........1,814........73.59
E Manning....9..............8-1(!).....15.........4...........2,242........97.23

Brady's games against the Ravens kind of killed his rating. Flacco's stats include his game last week (too lazy to go back and redo math); he seems to be along for the ride mostly. Brees has been pretty good. And we know the drill with Eli.

Have at it.

Really can't help but be impressed with Eli. Still, gotta feel good that the Giants are about to blow up their D-line and the Pats are just putting the finishing touches on a whole new team.

Hey -- I mentioned in another thread that I'd like to see some stats comparing some QBs in playoffs in recent years. So I just had a boring WebEx at work and used the time to do some research. This is what I came up with.

Rodgers.......7.............4-3........16.........4...........2,055........105.4
Brady..........8.............4-4........18.........11..........2,068.........90.13
P Manning....6.............2-4.........11.........4...........1,893.........98.27
Brees..........6.............4-2.........17.........2...........2,064........109.4
Flacco.........10............5-5.........10.........9...........1,814........73.59
E Manning....9.............8-1(!)......15.........4...........2,242........97.23
Ben R..........8.............5-3..........8..........6...........1,940.........84.4

Brady's games against the Ravens kind of killed his rating. Flacco's stats include his game last week (too lazy to go back and redo math); he seems to be along for the ride mostly. Brees has been pretty good. And we know the drill with Eli.

Have at it.

Not to knock your research (although I believe there are errors - i.e. Rodgers is 5-2), but this is a bit unfair because it penalizes a guy who brings a bad team to the playoffs (Brady 2010) and makes a QB like Eli look a whole lot better than he is. Eli's either missed the playoffs or been one-and-done in 6 of his 8 years as a starter, and his ratings in those one-and-done years are 35.0, 85.6 and 40.7. Eli's been the ultimate example of running hot/cold.

Last edited:
Not to knock your research (although I believe there are errors - i.e. Rodgers is 5-2), but this is a bit unfair because it penalizes a guy who brings a bad team to the playoffs (Brady 2010) and makes a QB like Eli look a whole lot better than he is. Eli's either missed the playoffs or been one-and-done in 6 of his 8 years as a starter, and his ratings in those one-and-done years are 35.0, 85.6 and 40.7. Eli's been the ultimate example of running hot/cold.

Ah, thanks. I'll fix Rodgers record (I was trying to go by memory while pretending to pay attention at work!)

Maybe it is unfair to include W-L because, yes, it is a team thing. But it always seems to come up in the quarterback discussion. And I agree on Eli; it's similar to the "Montana never lost a Super Bowl" argument, which ignores all the years he didn't get there.

The chart isn't perfect — what metric is? — but it does put some stats out there. And I'll still take Brady any time.

Last edited:
Ah, thanks. I'll fix Rodgers record (I was trying to go by memory while pretending to pay attention at work!)

Maybe it is unfair to include W-L because, yes, it is a team thing. But it always seems to come up in the quarterback discussion. And I agree on Eli; it's similar to the "Montana never lost a Super Bowl" argument, which ignores all the years he didn't get there.

The chart isn't perfect — what metric is? — but it does put some stats out there. And I'll still take Brady any time.

I hear you and, as I said, I wasn't knocking your research. You're trying to do the impossible, and your way's as good as most.

You're right that there's no perfect metric, and there's really no way to give an "incomplete" number grade when guys don't make the playoffs, so that's always going to be unfair. Not only that, but playing in one-and-done scenarios more often will also mean fewer games against the better teams because they are playing against teams ranked 3-6 rather than playing the top squads.

Last edited:

Rodgers.......7.............5-2........16.........4...........2,055........105.4
E Manning....9.............8-1(!)......15.........4...........2,242........97.23
Ben R..........8.............5-3..........8..........6...........1,940.........84.4

Have at it.

how long was this webex? jeez

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill