PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Playing a Mock Draft Game elsewhere.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

BritPat

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
.....also as the Patriots, and I thought some of you might be interested in how it's gone so far.

I didn't want to go in the same route as I had done on here, simply to see what options the Pats might have on Draft Day, and the sort of avenues they might be considering going down.

Initially I wanted to trade out of the #22 pick and try and grab a third rounder at the same time, but although Charles Brown was on the board and the Colts, Cards and Chiefs GM's had interest, I couldn't get any of them to trade up. I took Brandon Graham in our game on here, but as I've said I wanted to be different, and I had TE, WR, OT and DE as my top needs at that point. I took Jared Odrick to play RDE in the end, as I didn't think he'd make it out of the first round and be in range of any possible trade up.

In to round 2 and #44, and I wanted a DE/OLB at this point. Whilst considering the pick, I received a PM offering a trade for either the #44 pick or the #47 pick, and the value was more in favour of the #47, so I accepted that and took a chance with the #44 - Carlos Dunlap. I know he has big red flags for various reasons, but he's exactly the type of body BB loves, and his game is very solid. I have left myself open to criticism, but a lot of my targets (Pouncey, McCourty, Saffold, Hughes, Benn etc) had gone off the board earlier than I thought, so I thought I'd be better served trading down - plus with regards to Dunlap, I think playing for BB would prove to be the rocket up the backside the kid would need to fulfil his potential.

The #47 pick yielded me the #65 pick (first pick in the third round), and the #78 pick (fourteenth pick in the third round he'd acquired from the Panthers in a trade), which I was happy with seeing as several possible targets had gone and I had 3/4 more in mind for the #53 who were all on the board.

Then, two of those players went off the board, and I had another PM offering a trade up for the #53 pick (the Colts GM wanting Veldheer). I liked him, but I was only going to take him if he fell to #65. Knowing two of my other players would still be there at the end of the round, I accepted the deal and picked up a third 3rd round pick. I now had #63, #65, #78 and #94.

At #63 it was time for the WR, and I took Gilyard who I was going to take at #53 (much like my Alex Carrington pick in our game on here). If he hadn't been there, I was looking at Andre Roberts or one of the RB's.

Unbelievably, when it got to #65, Koa Misi was still on the board - he'd been mentioned as a target by several GM's, but no-one picked him. A couple of guys voted for him for the Jets pick as the GM hadn't been online, but I saw it as a luxury pick and said so, whilst saying they had a bigger need at Safety and DE - the vote ended up being Carrington. The Vikes GM passed on him, as did the Saints GM, but I wasn't going to leave him on the board despite targeting another position.

So far then, I've picked:

#22 - Jared Odrick (RDE)

#47 - Carlos Dunlap (OLB)

#63 - Mardy Gilyard (WR/KR)

#65 - Koa Misi (OLB/ILB)

I still have two more picks to go - #78 and #94, and I have 3 players targeted at each position. I'll not reveal exactly who they are just in case any of the GM's are reading this (and I think a couple use the board), but suffice to say they fill needs.

Thoughts on what I've done so far? I didn't hugely enjoy trading down from #53, but the value had to be taken, although it cost me Austen Lane who went to the Seahawks before I could consider him.

:)

No complaints from me. You are filling needs with capable players and have 2 upcoming picks to fill lesser but still very real needs which will not be mentioned just in case "the enemy" is watching. Good job, Britpat! Box would be proud!

Last edited:
Just to add as a reminder, in our game on here, there were no trades allowed, so with the picks I took:

#22 - Brandon Graham

#44 - Devin McCourty

#47 - Damian Williams

#53 - Alex Carrington

In Odrick, Dunlap and Misi you have 3 of the top 4 for Box and Mayo and Gilyard is another Box likes a lot. Having 2 more picks, this could be the draft of the day. BTW, who took Spiller?

Link?

In Odrick, Dunlap and Misi you have 3 of the top 4 for Box and Mayo and Gilyard is another Box likes a lot. Having 2 more picks, this could be the draft of the day. BTW, who took Spiller?

Link?

Spiller went to the Texans at #20.

Cheers by the way, I've been trying to match need and value in every game I've played, and with trades being allowed (although only for picks in the first 3 rounds) it's helped. I really think the third round will be the sweet spot of the Draft this year, and I'm hoping we can pick up one or two third rounders.

Here's the link to the Picks thread:

2010 NFLUK offical community mock draft picks thread - NFL UK Forums

This is enlightening! I had no idea the NFL generated so much interest in England or that the fans were so knowledgeable. Great read!

Thanks for the link, Britpat!

Have any of the running backs dropped? Best, Dwyer, Gerhart, Montario Hardesty?

Is Greg Hardy still around?

I'd take Tony Moeaki with one of the 3rds I think.

Otherwise I like what you've done, interesting work on the trades - it'd be good if PatsFans could do a mock draft with trades. It also introduces some reality to the trading situation, which is pretty difficult to do when writing mock drafts by yourself.

Interesting opening move for Buffalo.

Have any of the running backs dropped? Best, Dwyer, Gerhart, Montario Hardesty?

Is Greg Hardy still around?

I'd take Tony Moeaki with one of the 3rds I think.

Otherwise I like what you've done, interesting work on the trades - it'd be good if PatsFans could do a mock draft with trades. It also introduces some reality to the trading situation, which is pretty difficult to do when writing mock drafts by yourself.

Gerhart is on the board, but I like Ben Tate more. I'm debating on holding off on one though and strengthening two other areas.

Hardy went to the Saints between my #63 and #65, but he wasn't really a consideration after Dunlap.

I love Moeaki, but there's some quality O-linemen still on the board (Jerry and Johnson for a start), some Safeties I like, and a shed load of quality receivers.

And thanks, I hope I've done a good job.

Interesting opening move for Buffalo.

He's had some stick for that. We're sure he took him simply so the Pats couldn't (and I would have considered him at #22).

Just seen that Dwyer is still on the board, I was certain he'd gone.

Lions have just taken Gerhart.

Gerhart is on the board, but I like Ben Tate more. I'm debating on holding off on one though and strengthening two other areas.
One of those where we can leave the position alone for 2010, but we will need to do something about it eventually. Also depends on what you want to do with the Raiders' 2011 pick, given that Mark Ingram might be available. For example, if we take a RB here we are free to take a WR in 2011 - I'm not convinced by Gilyard as a #1 receiver for example.

BritPat said:
Hardy went to the Saints between my #63 and #65, but he wasn't really a consideration after Dunlap.

Two boom-bust prospects? But what if they both 'boomed' :(

Honestly I think we need two OLBs out of this draft, even if one is in the later rounds. I love Tully but I don't feel he's a 3 down player, he just can't set the edge like Vrabel could.

BritPat said:
I love Moeaki, but there's some quality O-linemen still on the board (Jerry and Johnson for a start), some Safeties I like, and a shed load of quality receivers.

I don't think we need safeties, although Chad Jones appears to still be on the board. Not sure which receivers you mean, although I don't know the depth that well. Would you take Mike Williams with a later round pick?

We have nothing at TE on our roster, I would take Moeaki at 78 and a lineman with the remaining pick.

BritPat said:
And thanks, I hope I've done a good job.
Misi is a great pick. Are you using your own big board to keep track of all the prospects? I'm in the process of writing my own mock draft at the moment (up to pick 25 right now, every pick is properly justified) and I think I might have to bite the bullet and do one.

Last edited:
One of those where we can leave the position alone for 2010, but we will need to do something about it eventually. Also depends on what you want to do with the Raiders' 2011 pick, given that Mark Ingram might be available. For example, if we take a RB here we are free to take a WR in 2011 - I'm not convinced by Gilyard as a #1 receiver for example.

As it stands, I'm actually quite happy with Maroney as the lead back. I'd rather us draft a FB and see what he can do behind a lead blocker, rather than running out of the gun or with us splitting 3 wide and it fooling nobody.

I'd be happy with someone like Deji Karim later.

As for Gilyard, I don't see him as a #1, I see him as a #2 with that home run threat. We were at our best when we had three/four #2's and no #1, I'd possibly like to see some Gilyard/Tate/Edelman sets if we were to draft him, with Moss and Welker on the sideline, just to see what the coverages would be like and what have you. It would help the TE then as well.

Two boom-bust prospects? But what if they both 'boomed' :(

Honestly I think we need two OLBs out of this draft, even if one is in the later rounds. I love Tully but I don't feel he's a 3 down player, he just can't set the edge like Vrabel could.

And what if they both bust? ;)

Whilst Misi has his struggles against the run, he could become a proper 3-4 OLB given time and technique coaching, although there's the possibility of him at ILB also. I'd be more than happy with a Dunlap main dish accompanied by a Misi side platter.

I don't think we need safeties, although Chad Jones appears to still be on the board. Not sure which receivers you mean, although I don't know the depth that well. Would you take Mike Williams with a later round pick?

Chad Jones and Reshad Jones are both still on the board, as is Kam Chancellor, as is Rob Johnson - the Pats have looked at a heck of a lot of safeties so far in the pre-draft evaluation process, even Caserio has mentioned it's a deep group this year. With our nickel packages tending to involve a third safety, it wouldn't be a surprise to see us Draft one, even though I personally really like the four we have.

As for the receivers, Andre Roberts, Jeremy Williams, Jacoby Ford, Carlton Mitchell, Riley Cooper, Eric Decker, Taylor Price, Marcus Easley are all still there, plus a couple of real sleeper picks like Seyi Ajirotutu.

We have nothing at TE on our roster, I would take Moeaki at 78 and a lineman with the remaining pick.

As it stands, for whatever reason, we just don't use TE's in the passing game anything like as much as we should. I think the total was 61 targets last year for all three TE's - Jason Witten, Dallas Clark and Tony G had double that individually. I love Moeaki, and I've said he's the #1 TE on my board, but as a blocker primarily. A TE in the second or third round would more than likely be a receiving TE. I could go that way, because Jimmy Graham and Aaron Hernandez are both still on the board, as is Pitta.

We'll see.

Forgot to mention Mike Williams - abso-frigging-lutely.

He might be a massive massive massive massive ********, but he has first round talent. He'd be under consideration for me anywhere from the middle of the third round.

Great job so far..... except Dunlap.

With the next two picks I would be making a roadtrip to Iowa--

TE Moeaki with the 78 pick

ILB AJ Edds with the last pick

You just took a WR so no need to take another one.

O-line is a lot better after signing Neal, and they took three last year.

How about addressing the OL?

Speaking of Iowa is Kyle Calloway still available?

Last edited:
How about addressing the OL?

Speaking of Iowa is Kyle Calloway still available?

He is, although I like our four OT's as a group. I'm looking more a Interior O-line.

He is, although I like our four OT's as a group. I'm looking more a Interior O-line.

He's had experience at guard and I agree that's where we should be looking.

#22 - Brandon Graham

#44 - Devin McCourty

#47 - Damian Williams

#53 - Alex Carrington

I LOVE this draft if the Pats can come away with this haul I'd be estatic.

I hate the way your UK draft played out I rather move up or down if it played out that way ( did you consider trading up for the falling #20 Spliller, #17 Bulaga, #16 Morgan or even #14 Haden ) ?

I love the trades though if we can wind up with 22,44, 63, 65, 78 & 94 I'd be happy. Alot of good players are still on the board in your draft. ( Jason Worilds, Dennis Pitta, Ben Tate, Mike Johnson, Dexter McCluster, even Carrington is still on the board! )

I hope we can get at least 2 3rd round picks through trades, there should be alot of good prospects in the 3rd round still available.

Koa Misi

"Run defense: Explosive coming off the edge if untouched, flexible enough to chase down backs. Lacks the bulk to play end on early downs at the next level, but is strong enough as a linebacker on the edge to be an effective run stopper. Smart on containment and takes away the cutback lane. Punches linemen coming out to block, can disengage to make a play. Gets through trash to find the ball. Excellent chase and hustle down the line or downfield.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey