PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players with trade value?

Status
Not open for further replies.

1%er

Banned
Reaction score
Being that we have limited picks in 2013 are there any players that you'd see having trade value for us?

My thoughts are,

Vereen
Mallett

Mallett gets you at most a 7th round pick

Why would we trade Vereen? We finally have good depth at RB and now we should start chipping away at it? The only reason Vereen hasn't seen more play is because Ridley and Woodhead are the better options. If one of them gets injured Vereen could fill either role.

Last edited:
I somewhat disagree.

Bolden is Ridley's backup as the primary running back.

Vereen is Woodhead's back as 3rd down running back. IMHO and unfortunately he isn't much of a blocker. Picking up the blitz is even more important than pass-catching in a 3rd down back.
Also, we have Demps coming back for 2013.

I'm not saying that we should trade Vereen. However, we should focus on the need: 3rd down back. That will be the free agency focus.

My bottom line is that I am Ok with Vereen competing with Demps for reps as the #4 or #5 RB. However, I suspect that we might do as well with a JAG free agent at the end of his career. This is NOT a terrible idea for our #5, emergency back.

Why would we trade Vereen? We finally have good depth at RB and now we should start chipping away at it? The only reason Vereen hasn't seen more play is because Ridley and Woodhead are the better options. If one of them gets injured Vereen could fill either role.

Last edited:
Players with trade value and players they would want to trade are 2 totally different things, for example: Brady, Welker (tag & trade), Solder, Mankins, Lloyd, Ridley, Wilfork, Spikes, Mayo, Hightower, McCourty all have trade value but it wouldn't help the team by trading them.

Outside of that there's players who would fetch 6th-7th round picks only.

If we resign Talib, trade Dowling for a late round pick to a team that thinks they can salvage him.

Players with trade value and players they would want to trade are 2 totally different things, for example: Brady, Welker (tag & trade), Solder, Mankins, Lloyd, Ridley, Wilfork, Spikes, Mayo, Hightower, McCourty all have trade value but it wouldn't help the team by trading them.

Outside of that there's players who would fetch 6th-7th round picks only.

Sometimes it seems that some folks forget that if you want to trade someone, you have to have someone who wants to trade with you...

If we resign Talib, trade Dowling for a late round pick to a team that thinks they can salvage him.

1 in 50 late round picks becomes a starter. Are those really better odds than Dowling staying healthy?

Free agency and the draft... in the end, does it make much difference. What we don't gather in one place, we will gather in another.

But as to Mallett, it seems that his value should be quite high given the current dearth of good quarterbacks in the league. But who takes his place if he goes?

after that Cocain tweet brandon spikes

People shouldn't be worried just because we only have 6 picks next season. Look at the youth of this team already. Look at the massive changes that have occurred over the last 3 years. We don't need another massive influx of new talent. What we need is to cultivate and develop the talent we already have.

Other than an impact interior defensive lineman, and that impact outside the numbers big WR, what do the Pats need. Plus where the Pats are going to draft, players of that description won't be there. What they will draft are player who they HOPE will eventually develop into those kinds of impact players....over time, not right out of the box.

This year we've had 3 rookies emerge as full time starters on the regular defense. Another who has gotten significant snaps as an injury reserve, and another who plays full time on ST's. That's an incredible haul, but also a function of an incredible need...that's been filled. Next year I doubt we have ANY rookie who will start. I'm hoping we get 2 out of this draft who will be good enough to get into a positional rotation on the regular offense or defense out of camp, and ultimately wind up with 3 who will eventually become starters before their rookie contracts run out.

The point of all this being, we don't need more picks this draft. If anything we need better ones

Last edited:
If we couldn't get a draft pick for a pro bowl safety...or a veteran second string safety...

As far as QB's go the last two teams to trade for and invest in one got burned in a manner of speaking as one is being QB'd by a rookie no one gave much of a shot to and the other has been replaced by anything that breathes. The great unknown is preferable to the sucker punch. Beyond Luck and RGIII last draft was supposed to lie flotsum and jetsome. Yet three of them are starting and 2 are heading to the playoffs and another is an apparently viable backup to one of the top two. Mallet is also the anthesis of all of these guys as an imobile pure pocket QB with a big arm who needs an elite OL and the jury still out on his ability to read complex defenses in real time or consistently deliver accurately in the short to intermediate range. And his develoment if any has been within a scheme no one else runs. Best shot at trading him would be to a team with an entrenched vertical mindset and for a conditional pick in 2014, so nothing of value this season beyond as someone else mentioned a late round pick.

Vereen might have some value but nothing approaching the round in which he was selected. And while draft picks like signing bonus are sunk cost you still want to at least approach break even before cutting your losses. Otherwise he remains a work in progress with potential remaining upside if he ever learns to block reasonably well. And that's effort and hard work and mindset, all of which can be developed easier than talent which we know he has. And we haven't even extended Woodhead and have no idea if Demps will be able to stay on the field at this level.

Last edited:
People shouldn't be worried just because we only have 6 picks next season. Look at the youth of this team already. Look at the massive changes that have occurred over the last 3 years. We don't need another massive influx of new talent. What we need is to cultivate and develop the talent we already have.

Other than an impact interior defensive lineman, and that impact outside the numbers big WR, what do the Pats need. Plus where the Pats are going to draft, players of that description won't be there. What they will draft are player who they HOPE will eventually develop into those kinds of impact players....over time, not right out of the box.

This year we've had 3 rookies emerge as full time starters on the regular defense. Another who has gotten significant snaps as an injury reserve, and another who plays full time on ST's. Next year I doubt we have ANY rookie who will start. I'm hoping we get 2 out of this draft who are good enough to get into a positional rotation on the regular offense or defense, and wind up with 3 who will eventually become starters before their rookie contracts run out.

The point of all this being, we don't need more picks this draft. If anything we need better ones

Hard to get better ones when you don't have more to trade up with. We have 5 picks in 2013. Our own which will be at or near the end in rounds 1-3, none in rounds 4-6, and our own and TB's in round 7. With impending UFA in Welker, Vollmer, Talib, Woodhead, Edelman, Chung, and Arrington - who have to be replaced if not improved on as part of the replacing. So our needs exceed your estimation. Even with a Brady extension and possibly a Wilfork extension and a Mankins restructure we won't be able to replace all of them via FA, including resigning our own. They are going to need to hit on at least a couple of draftees who start or play significant snaps in 2013 and represent an upgrade on the 2012 incumbants.

What makes Mallett more valuable than a guy like Matt Moore or Brian Hoyer?

I understand his value to the Patriots - we see him in practice everyday. But to a team on the outside what has Mallett done to warrant even as much as what was given up for Matt Cassell?

If we couldn't get a draft pick for a pro bowl safety...or a veteran second string safety...

Isn't that the story right there? Seems to me that's all of it.

Vereen's future is depending on what Demps can do as a pro. If Demps bulks up while maintaining his speed and shows the ability to pass block at a somewhat competent level (which seems to be beyond Vereen's ability), I honestly don't see Vereen getting through next training camp with us. But, then again, I said that about Cunningham this year and was wrong...

Our high needs are a C/G and a 3/4 End type - a DT who can rush.
no low pick is getting this.

What makes Mallett more valuable than a guy like Matt Moore or Brian Hoyer?

I understand his value to the Patriots - we see him in practice everyday. But to a team on the outside what has Mallett done to warrant even as much as what was given up for Matt Cassell?

What did Carson Palmer do recently that was worth the picks the Raiders gave up?

Last edited:
Players that have played have trade value. Our mystery meat isn't any more valuable than other team's.

If you have talent that hasn't had a chance due to the numbers game, you might just have a future asset only you know the value of.

The best trades are veterans with a reputation with young competition for their job, or salary demands you don't want to meet.

What did Carson Palmer do recently that was worth the picks the Raiders gave up?

You're comparing a 1st overall, former starter and multiple pro bowler to Mallet, who's played garbage time.

Even if Mallet was better, how is that a valid comparison?

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes