PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players who visited w/ the Pats

Status
Not open for further replies.

SamBamsFan

Rotational Player and Threatening Starter's Job
Reaction score
This is borrowed from the M Reiss blog in the Boston Globe. Teams are allowed to visit w/ up to 30 prospects for further evaluations, discussion, medical, etc. Remember that Logan Mankins was picked last year even though he hadn't visited.

Linebacker Bobby Carpenter (Ohio State);
cornerbacks Tye Hill (Clemson)
Richard Marshall (Fresno State)
receiver Chad Jackson (Florida)
running back Laurence Maroney (Minnesota)
defensive linemen Ray Edwards (Purdue)
Jeremy Mincey (Florida)
Safeties Daniel Bullocks (Nebraska)
Bernard Pollard (Purdue)
safety Darnell Bing (USC)
d tackle Cofield (Northwestern)

Please feel to add to this list if you know of any others. Thanks.

Last edited:
SamBamsFan said:
Remember that Logan Mankins was picked last year even though he hadn't visited.

Yup - there've been plenty of guys in the past picked without a visit.

However, my feeling is that while non-visiting players can't be ruled out, I really don't think they would bring in guys for a visit who they DIDN'T have an actual interest in.

Ha.

Belichick probably deliberately doesn't bring in top prospects in order to throw other teams off the scent.

Ben Watson didn't visit either

That's why I'm certain DeAngelo Williams is our guy.

Manny Lawson was the guy...I already reported this what the hell...I should hear about later rounds soon

Last edited:
JoeSixPat said:

However, my feeling is that while non-visiting players can't be ruled out, I really don't think they would bring in guys for a visit who they DIDN'T have an actual interest in.
Kind of how I look at it, also. It isn't like they have time to waste this time of year.

I always like this little bit of news just because it makes me take a second look at some prospects that I might have glossed over the 1st few times around. It also sometimes makes me think, "what the hell????"

SamBamsFan said:
This is borrowed from the M Reiss blog in the Boston Globe. Teams are allowed to visit w/ up to 30 prospects for further evaluations, discussion, medical, etc. Remember that Logan Mankins was picked last year even though he hadn't visited.

Linebacker Bobby Carpenter (Ohio State);
cornerbacks Tye Hill (Clemson)
Richard Marshall (Fresno State)
receiver Chad Jackson (Florida)
running back Laurence Maroney (Minnesota)
defensive linemen Ray Edwards (Purdue)
Jeremy Mincey (Florida)
Safeties Daniel Bullocks (Nebraska)
Bernard Pollard (Purdue)
safety Darnell Bing (USC)
d tackle Cofield (Northwestern)

Please feel to add to this list if you know of any others. Thanks.

So basically all those guys on that list "WILL NOT" be a Patriot. They never seem to pick the guys the bring in for visits. Can anyone assemble a list of players who visited and were actually picked in past drafts?

MrTibbs said:
So basically all those guys on that list "WILL NOT" be a Patriot. They never seem to pick the guys the bring in for visits. Can anyone assemble a list of players who visited and were actually picked in past drafts?

Ty Warren was brought in.

re

MrTibbs said:

I am inclined to agree. I think visits are for players who the Pats have less information on in their file, as opposed to players they are interested in and want final confirmation.

I'm glad Daniel Bullocks was brought in. I was a little dissapointed with his play last year (I know some other Husker fans peruse the forum so maybe they can comment) but he is definitly a "character" guy and I think he could be a great player in the right system where he doesn't try to do too much.

JoeSixPat said:

I'm sure you are right. The certainly wouldn't waste the time on somebody whom they didn't think was possible.

But I suggest to you as a possibility that there is a strong indication that almost all of the players brought in are ones where they have doubts but can't decide just by looking at film, so they bring them in to make sure they don't pass over somebody just because they didn't have enough info. There have been player(s) that they brought in and ended up drafting. They have also brought in some of the top names in the past who were unlikely to fall to the Pats - I suspect that they were just doing their due diligence on the longshot that the player would actually drop through to them.

Probably a little more indicative of whom they might draft are the players where one of the top coaches visits on pro days or even for private workouts at the players locale. Those names don't always get into the media because they are less visible. But, without any real hard info, I suspect that there are a lot more players that they have visited and drafted rather than those brought into Foxboro and drafted.

Last edited:
sieglo said:
Ha.

Belichick probably deliberately doesn't bring in top prospects in order to throw other teams off the scent.
It may also means that he wanted more data on these prospects. I know he create some smokescreens with it, but the main goal when inviting prospects is to be sure to know them better. I would hardly conceive BB/SP taking prospect's precious time just to create smokescreens.

Can someone elighten me on what a "visit" entails? Are they allowed to work these guys out or is it strictly interview, film session, x's and o's type discussion?

For instance if they brought in a WR candidate for a visit are they allowed to have him run some routes?

they are allowed to let them do individual drills..read plays on board and explain whats going on aswell as interview..actually im not sure aobut individual drills..just know they can lift and run for the team again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back