PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players who I'd like to hear more about from the camps so far

Status
Not open for further replies.
You're right: Mills is not a running back. But is he a tight end? If so, that makes him the fourth TE on the roster. I think Mills has something to contribute and I'd like to see him make the squad, I just don't know where he fits (especially with 4 RBs, 3 TEs and 5-6 WRs making it).

Can someone enlighten me? :confused:

I am highly confident that Garrett Mills makes the 53.
Where? ... of course ... is the question.

For purposes of my mock roster, i simply list
2 QBs
4 RBs
6 WRs
3 TEs
9 OLs
... and "Mills".
Total 25 offensives.

I think BB enjoys musing on just how to fit this very versatile guy in.
An Adalius on the other side of the ball (with respect to versatility only; not accomplishment!)

Bruinz you're right on the money. RB is our biggest weakness. I expect Maroney will have something like 8 games at full strenth (none of them in the playoffs), 7 games as an injured shell of his former self, and 4 games plain out. This year's Super Bowl showed how important a 2nd RB is. (Rhodes MVP)

Bruinz you're right on the money. RB is our biggest weakness. I expect Maroney will have something like 8 games at full strenth (none of them in the playoffs), 7 games as an injured shell of his former self, and 4 games plain out. This year's Super Bowl showed how important a 2nd RB is. (Rhodes MVP)

Your optimism is overwhelming.

Your optimism is overwhelming.

I try not to be too optimistic ("If we just have a year with no injuries, we'll be really great!") but seriously, my prediction is realistic. Look back at the last several years, and you'll find only one season (2004) when our top RB was healthy at the end, and even then, Dillon missed the Pittsburgh game with injury that year. Maroney is not all that big and durable.

Maybe one hopeful scenario is that, with all the attention on our receivers, Maroney won't have as many big piles of defenders to pound through, and will get banged up less. I personally hope we get a lead and rest him most 3rd and 4th quarters in the regular season.

I try not to be too optimistic ("If we just have a year with no injuries, we'll be really great!") but seriously, my prediction is realistic. Look back at the last several years, and you'll find only one season (2004) when our top RB was healthy at the end, and even then, Dillon missed the Pittsburgh game with injury that year. Maroney is not all that big and durable.

Maybe one hopeful scenario is that, with all the attention on our receivers, Maroney won't have as many big piles of defenders to pound through, and will get banged up less. I personally hope we get a lead and rest him most 3rd and 4th quarters in the regular season.

There is a difference between being optimistic and being pessimistic. To me, it is just plain pessimistic to say that Maroney will either not play or be ineffective due to injury in thirteen games next year, including all of the playoffs. Obviously it could happen, and Maroney will probably get banged up at some point next year (most starting running backs do) but to say he will be injured THAT much seems down right cynical.

In terms of size, Maroney has fine size for a starting running back. People seem to think he is some slight running back, but at six feet, 220 pounds is pretty standard size. And about the whole injury prone thing, once upon a time not too long ago LaDainian Tomlinson was considered injury prone.

Last edited:
I guess that my saying that I didn't want to see a re-hash of the 2005 season where we had to go and bring in Mike Cloud and Heath Evans to have RBs on the field wasn't enough for you.

The fact of the matter is that there are questions with the Pats current RB depth. Maroney's shoulder/rib injury. Faulk being injury prone. Morris wearing a red non-contact jersey during the last 3 camps. I'd like the Pats to be able to KILL THE CLOCK late in the game by running the ball successfully and not having to rely on Heath Evans. It was one of the things that tripped them up in the AFCCG. Dillon, Faulk and Maroney were all injured by the 4th quarter and the Pats were having to rely on Evans to get the job done and they showed how little faith they had when they insisted on passing the ball 4 times in a row with only 4:39 left in the game. One time was a 25 yard completion to Graham. The rest were incomplete. They killed 52 seconds or something like that off the clock and gave Indy the ball back.

I also share your concern over the (literal) health of the running game.

Hairston may have had the dropsies during passing camp, but he will earn his keep more as a runner than as a pass-catcher, anyway; at least at first. I hope he shows enough during TC to earn at least a PS invite.

Q Hill will have to play really lights-out as a lead blocker and STer in order to upset Evans. A FB of the future, perhaps.

Two guys whom I will be monitoring are Oldenburg and Rogers, the two highest-drafted of Sunday's WTF picks. I give Rogers the better chance, as of now, of making at least the PS, simply because of the NEP's dire need to develop young talent at LB.

In terms of size, Maroney has fine size for a starting running back. People seem to think he is some slight running back, but at six feet, 220 pounds is pretty standard size. And about the whole injury prone thing, once upon a time not too long ago LaDainian Tomlinson was considered injury prone.

Maroney and Tomlinson are almost exactly the same size.

Sorry, but I have a bit more optimism about Maroney than that. I don't expect him to be plain OUT for 4 games. His injuries last year could have been related because the rib issue was high up on his chest and it could have led to whatever issue he had with his should.

The bust they call Chad Jackson. I had high expectations and this guy has been nothing but a major disappointment. Like get on the damn field buddy, hoooly.

There is a difference between being optimistic and being pessimistic.

Agreed! Of course there is.

To me, it is just plain pessimistic to say that Maroney will either not play or be ineffective due to injury in thirteen games next year

11 by my count

Obviously it could happen, and Maroney will probably get banged up at some point next year (most starting running backs do) but to say he will be injured THAT much seems down right cynical.

I'm just worried that he's NEVER been THE RB for a full season, pro or college, as I understand it. I don't like how he's still injured now, 7+ months (?) after the original injury started.

I don't remember that. I must not have been paying attention to LaDanian yet at that point.

. .. ... ....

Maroney and Tomlinson have different body types. Maroney isn't as compact and doesn't have the low center of gravity. Maroney is the size of Roger Craig. Maroney is not Craig. This is still a passing offense so I don't see Maroney having 1500 yards. I don't see him with 300+ carries. I'll start the over/under at 1180. Brian Westbrook numbers.

Matt Gutierrez.

The bust they call Chad Jackson. I had high expectations and this guy has been nothing but a major disappointment. Like get on the damn field buddy, hoooly.
Sure he was a disapointment but he tore his ACL, there's a reason he's not on the field. They were able to do the surgery early, great, but he still tore it.

How can the guy be a bust?

Since you missed it, Jackson hurt his knee in the AFCCG and had surgery on it. With the Kids gloves that the Pats have been using regarding injuries, why would you even expect him to be back on the field already? He is supposed to be ready for TC. Whether that happens is another story. But He hurt himself helping on Special teams. You know. EARNING HIS STRIPES as they say.

People who call Chad Jackson a bust would also have called Jerry Rice and Darrell Jackson busts. They'd also have called Marvin Harrison a bust.

.I'm just worried that he's NEVER been THE RB for a full season, pro or college, as I understand it. I don't like how he's still injured now, 7+ months (?) after the original injury started.

Instead of worring about whether Maroney has been "THE RB" for a season, why not do some research and learn about the situation in Minnesota during his time there.

First, and foremost, Minnesota runs a RUN HEAVY offense. An offense that purposely utilizes a 2 RB system. Secondly, Maroney had the following for yardage each season: 1121 on 162 carries, 1348 on 217 carries, and 1464 yards on 281 carries,

During Maroney's freshman year, Barber put up 1196 yards on 207 carries. During Maroney's sophomore year, Barber put up 1269 yards on 231 carries. During Maroney's junior year, Gary Russell had 186 carries for 1130 yards.

Just looking at that, its clear to me that no back SHOULD be "THE MAN" and carry better than 75% of the load. Not when they are putting up 683 rushes in 13 games, 572 rushes in 12 games, and 610 rushes in 12 games. The leading rushing team in the NFL (Atlanta) only put up 537 rushes in 16 games. In 2005, the Steelers let the league in rush attempts at 549. And in 2004, it was the Steelers with 618 in a 16 game season. 2004 was Big Ben's rookie season and the Steelers passing game was minimal at best if you remember. Bettis only had 250 of the 618 carries that year. Or about 40%. In Maroney's senior season, he had 46% of the carries for Minnesota.

OH, and one last thing. Maroney only had 1 injury in college. A high ankle sprain his senior year. It cost him 1 game.

So, while Maroney wasn't "the man" until his junior year, its clear if you do the research that Maroney was a dominant force from the day he stepped on the field in Minnesota and durability shouldn't be an issue. It was a freak injury that he got and it could have caused a seperated shoulder that could have needed surgery depending on how severe the seperation was. Anything over a 2nd degree seperation tends to need surgery. And, there are cases of of 2nd degree seperations needing surgery as well.

I am highly confident that Garrett Mills makes the 53.
Where? ... of course ... is the question.

For purposes of my mock roster, i simply list
2 QBs
4 RBs
6 WRs
3 TEs
9 OLs
... and "Mills".
Total 25 offensives.

I think BB enjoys musing on just how to fit this very versatile guy in.
An Adalius on the other side of the ball (with respect to versatility only; not accomplishment!)

Thanks, Pat! I now consider myself enlightened. :)

killing the clock

I guess that my saying that I didn't want to see a re-hash of the 2005 season where we had to go and bring in Mike Cloud and Heath Evans to have RBs on the field wasn't enough for you.
The fact of the matter is that there are questions with the Pats current RB depth. Maroney's shoulder/rib injury. Faulk being injury prone. Morris wearing a red non-contact jersey during the last 3 camps. I'd like the Pats to be able to KILL THE CLOCK late in the game by running the ball successfully and not having to rely on Heath Evans. It was one of the things that tripped them up in the AFCCG. Dillon, Faulk and Maroney were all injured by the 4th quarter and the Pats were having to rely on Evans to get the job done and they showed how little faith they had when they insisted on passing the ball 4 times in a row with only 4:39 left in the game. One time was a 25 yard completion to Graham. The rest were incomplete. They killed 52 seconds or something like that off the clock and gave Indy the ball back.
i agree. there are questions with the patriots' current cadre of RBs.
i want to see a 235-lb N/S runner with a bit of speed.
maybe there's one on the roster. IMHO the chances that we'll find one from the current cadre are only 50-50.
BUT
with givens/branch/weis, patriots moved the ball w/5-6 yard passes, not 5-6 yard runs. in 2006 AFC title game, we couldn't complete short passes.
even with that, ol' bug-eyes dropped a TD pass that would've forced the dolts into needing a TD just to tie. they got the TD, but da game would've gone into OT. there would have been a coin toss, and either team would have scored on 1st possession.

patriots have really never moved the ball up and down the field with the run. they've done it with the 5-6 yard out. these WRs have more promise for the short out, and/or the short slant, than gaffney/caldwell/whatisname.

Mills is an H-back. He's mostly a third down type guy. He's bigger than Faulk and Morris so He's a better blocking option. He apparently is a great pass-catcher (at least in college) but his main contribution is going to have to be on special teams if he hopes to make the club. I think he played a lot of ST in college and was even a returner at some point.

I see Mills as being the person to succeed Faulk, atleast the reason he was drafted,, they will need a replacement for Faulk within a few years. If Mills works out as they think he should, then he can be roster'd and then transition to as required.

Mills could be the answer for the Jason Taylors of the league plus a relief outlet on passes. For what it's worth department, Keith Byars was drafted so as to keep Lawence Taylor at bay. Buddy Ryan was bragging on KB on draft day, "Come on over LT, and meet mister Byars".

On Maroney, I'm thinking we should expect more of Morris than Maroney at the season start. Maroney looks pretty weak at this stage. Yea, Morris had the red jersey but is obviously better off than Maroney. And as the season progresses maybe we will be talking about the M&M tandem. The Pat's brass obviously think highly of Morris since they went after him so hard.

We will see???

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye