PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players vote Sherman top CB in the league

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think Sherman could potentially do it better if given the opportunity but until then Revis is better. Sherman definitely has more athleticism and better ball skills.
I'm with you on the ball skills, but I certainly wouldn't call Sherman more athletic. That said, Revis's technique is unmatched.

Busta Rhyme... I mean Sherman...

Agree with the posters saying Sherman isn't on Revis' level until he shows he can play all over the field.

As an aside, who does Revis cover vs Pats? I think Edelman can shake him a few times, and I think Gronk can abuse him. I can't imagine them putting him on any other WR though...

Agree with the posters saying Sherman isn't on Revis' level until he shows he can play all over the field.

As an aside, who does Revis cover vs Pats? I think Edelman can shake him a few times, and I think Gronk can abuse him. I can't imagine them putting him on any other WR though...
I think the Jets will probably play mostly zone against the Pats. If not, they could put Revis on LaFell and get physical at the LOS with JE.

Also, Brady and Gronk are confirmed to be in the top 10 now. Brady will likely be #1, but Gronk deserves to be top 5 too.

Watt will likely be #1, deservedly so. The top 10 will otherwise be a lot of QBs - Rodgers, Brady, Luck, and Manning still haven't been voted in. My guess:

1) Watt
2) Rodgers
3) Gronk
4) Brady
5) Brown
6) Luck
7) Johnson
8) Manning
9) Lynch
10) Murray

I wouldn't put any of the bottom 3 in my top 10, and I'm not sure Calvin Johnson would make my top 10 either anymore. Replace them with Kuechly, Sherman, Charles, and Joe Thomas.

Frankly, 3-4 players were really undervalued in this. Wilkerson, Kyle Williams, and Richardson should all be top 25.

I thought Revis was the best corner last season but he didn't shadow the other teams top receiver last season, rather he was frequently used to take out the opposing teams second option while they doubled the top WR. They would change that up during games and switch Revis on them in the red zone but then switch back to the double team on the next series. This isn't a knock on Revis as he played really well and did whatever he was asked without complaint but those saying he was always shadowing the opponents to receiver were mistaken.

Revis wasn't always covering the #1 receiver last year either. A lot of people seem to be forgetting that Bill would switch things up not only from game to game, but from series to series and from play to play. I had them nearly equal with Revis only slightly ahead for most of the regular season. But Sherman was outstanding in the postseason for the 2nd consecutive year. Then his SB performance sealed the deal for me. He was much better than Revis down the stretch. So I give the nod to Sherman.

Regarding Watt - many people thought he would be/should be #1 a couple of years ago. That didn't happen. I think people here are underestimating how most players view the QB position and especially how they view Tom Brady. I would be shocked if he is not #1.

an edelman-revis matchup could favor NE. revis had trouble against jordy nelson. edelman to me is a poor man 's nelson.

I will take Edelman over Nelson anytime and twice on Sundays.
What more does the man have to do to prove he is a elite talent.
Skill wise he does different things then Nelson, but when the games on the line he is clutch tough as they come and finds a way to make a play when it looks impossible.
I can't say the same for Nelson he is a elite talent but he's not making those third down conversions with the same consistency that Minitron is.

an edelman-revis matchup could favor NE. revis had trouble against jordy nelson. edelman to me is a poor man 's nelson.
Nelson and JE are different players. Nelson is a big guy. JE is more like Cobb.

Does Ike Taylor have pictures of someone at the NFL Network? Why is he all over that channel, and top 100 show ..?

so annoying...i hope doesn't comment on brady/gronk

not sure about brady being number 1. i think rodgers will be ahead of him even though tom won the SB. JJ Watt will also be in the top 2 for sure

Regarding Watt - many people thought he would be/should be #1 a couple of years ago. That didn't happen. I think people here are underestimating how most players view the QB position and especially how they view Tom Brady. I would be shocked if he is not #1.

You may be right about Watt, however I do believe more players value Rodgers over Brady because he had a better statistical season and he's more physically gifted. Personally I think Brady still sees the field better than Rodgers and is the better QB despite Rodgers being physically more gifted. Brady will probably be #2 or #3.

so annoying...i hope doesn't comment on brady/gronk

I just hope they don't reuse old stuff for Brady like they did a two years ago.

One of Revis's few flaws in his game that goes unmentioned often is he cannot/does not try to bait QBs.

Revis: 23 INTs in 8 seasons
Sherman: 24 INTs in 4 seasons

I agree with him in that video. So really the debate comes down to:

Revis: Doesn't bait QBs.
Sherman: Unproven in man to man vs. #1 WRs.

It depends on what defense a coordinator would want to run. They are pretty different CBs. Sherman isn't trying to 100% take his WR out of the game because he wants some action his way to get a turnover.

I expect Rodger to be number 1.season mvp have always been number one, in this case though it should be given to Brady for destroying the seahawks, something the other Superbowl winning qb could not do.

I had Sherman as the top CB last year, all year. Love Revis - his technique is flawless - but Sherman played great.

Revis, Sherman, Haden, and Peterson...best 4 last year, but I thought Sherman was top.

I want Revis on Edelman, I think that's a bad matchup for Revis. I think they will try to use him on Gronkowski and will be curious to see how it unfolds.

Sherman does some things better than Revis but Revis has an better overall game.

It is really close though but give me Revis. Though if you COULD set up your D too allow each to only play to their strengths Sherman would be the better pick.

The things Sherman does really well he does better than anything Revis can do.

I will take Edelman over Nelson anytime and twice on Sundays.
What more does the man have to do to prove he is a elite talent.
Skill wise he does different things then Nelson, but when the games on the line he is clutch tough as they come and finds a way to make a play when it looks impossible.
I can't say the same for Nelson he is a elite talent but he's not making those third down conversions with the same consistency that Minitron is.

I love Edelman but Nelson is a better player. However considering Nelson would need to build up the Chemistry Edelman & Brady have I would not change it.

Revis made our Def complete and for others to play a major role in. We were missing this last few years and cost us a couple of SBs. Guess our DBs are back to square one but so is Revis on Jets.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes