PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players turning on Mangini / Vilma injured (merged)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rob0729

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting note on Vilma being pulled in the Cincy game. Mangini said Vilma was struggling with some injuries and that is why he was pulled. Vilma says it wasn't injuries and it was a coaching decision and seemed to be upset about it.

He was probably taken out because Vilma is too small to be an ILB for a 3-4 especially in the Belichick defense and Mangini is too stubborn or not smart enough to switch to the 4-3. In the Belichick 3-4, size does matter.

Here are few gems from Vilma from NY Newsday:

"It definitely wasn't because I was injured in the game," Vilma said yesterday on a paid radio segment on WFAN with Joe Benigno and Evan Roberts. "You have to ask the head man why I was taken out. I have no idea why I was taken out."

Jets players are forbidden to discuss injuries (and it is even more uncommon for Mangini to discuss them as willingly, unspecified though his answer was). The radio interviewers asked Vilma about that policy.

"I wouldn't be allowed to talk about it anyway," Vilma said, "but that wasn't the reason why I was taken out."

Vilma was acting strangely after the game, humming out loud while answering questions about the Jets' fourth straight loss. He later said he was doing so to prevent himself from saying how he really felt. He was not in the locker room during player availability on Monday.

http://www.newsday.com/sports/football/jets/ny-spvilma245429973oct24,0,3691968.story

On a side note, Mangini just announced he is sticking with Pennington. I am sure that will go over well with the fans. They are turning on him worse than he turned on Belichick.

Re: Jets players starting to turn on Mangini?

Tell me there are not a bunch of people getting ready to blow.

This disaster unfolding before our eyes just to the south of us is really really fun to watch. The yanks dealt them a blow by folding under pressure and the jets simply stink to high heaven.

i still dont understand why he isnt switching to a 4-3. If you dont have the players for the 3-4...why play it?? What are you trying to prove? "If BB can do it so can i?"

Last edited:

i still dont understand why he isnt switching to a 4-3. If you dont have the players for the 3-4...why play it?? What are you trying to probes? "If BB can do it so can i?"
Maybe BB never taught widdle Ewic how to run a 4-3?

Yeah, I think this is where Mangini's inexperience really is killing him. He has only coached in the Pats defense for a short time and never has had exposure to any other defense.

Yeah, I think this is where Mangini's inexperience really is killing him. He has only coached in the Pats defense for a short time and never has had exposure to any other defense.
Too bad. I can't think anyone I would rather see get his commupance than that scheming, treasonous, backstabbing little fraud.

Vilma is suited so much better for a 4-3 look for the jets to trade him this year for about a second or third round draft pick or maybe for a offensive lineman.
God knows they could use one of those.
But theres no team in the nfl I hate more than the Jets and this is just beautiful.
How much would you love to see Mangini get the boot and Marty schott getting the job as the jets hc.
I think their fans would cry.
Cause as fun as it is to see em lose to badly.
I'd rather see them just coming up a little too short that's more painful to stand.

It really has nothing to do with 3-4 vs. 4-3. It has to do with being a 1-gap defense vs. a 2-gap defense. Even when the Pats run a 4-3, they still 2-gap. So do the Jets. That is the technique the Pats and BB believe in.

Vilma is more of a 1-gap type linebacker, better suited for a Chicago or Tampa or Indy type system. Switching to a 4-3 would do nothing as the Jets would still 2-gap.

The Jets have several players better suited to a 1-gap system left over from the Herm Edwards era (he is a 1-gapper). These include Vilma, Dwayne Robertson, Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas and several others. They don't really seem that adaptable, yet the Jets never traded them. They probably will after this season.

The Pats converted several guys who were 1-gappers to 2-gappers such as Vince Wilfork (a 1-gapper in college). That is good coaching by BB that has yet to be displayed by Mangini.

J D Sal

You probably said this jokingly, but I bet there is a lot of Truth in that.

It's really getting more and more fun to watch! And now we get to watch more "Chad Pennington Football" to boot.

Is it unhealthy that I'm enjoying this so much?

It really has nothing to do with 3-4 vs. 4-3. It has to do with being a 1-gap defense vs. a 2-gap defense. Even when the Pats run a 4-3, they still 2-gap. So do the Jets. That is the technique the Pats and BB believe in.

Vilma is more of a 1-gap type linebacker, better suited for a Chicago or Tampa or Indy type system. Switching to a 4-3 would do nothing as the Jets would still 2-gap.

The Jets have several players better suited to a 1-gap system left over from the Herm Edwards era (he is a 1-gapper). These include Vilma, Dwayne Robertson, Shaun Ellis, Bryan Thomas and several others. They don't really seem that adaptable, yet the Jets never traded them. They probably will after this season.

The Pats converted several guys who were 1-gappers to 2-gappers such as Vince Wilfork (a 1-gapper in college). That is good coaching by BB that has yet to be displayed by Mangini.

J D Sal

Nice, concise analysis there, J D, and I agree with it. It's not so much the tools you want to employ, as it is employing them correctly.

Vilma would be a beast for Indy. I could easily see them trading a 2nd for him...if they hadn't already traded away their 1st.

J D Sal

The thing that this suggests to me is that, MAYBE Bill Belichick is also a much better TEACHER than Mangini.

1) BB is known to have had Vilma on the short list for round one.

2) BB doesn't miss on 1st rounders.

3) Vilma comes to N.E., which he won't, but if he did, he'd be able to play it fine.

It's really getting more and more fun to watch! And now we get to watch more "Chad Pennington Football" to boot.

Is it unhealthy that I'm enjoying this so much?

This brings up another question. Why would you stick with Chad. Even if he gives you a better chance of winning 'now', he is not your qb of the future. Put your young backup in there and let him learn.

for some reason..i can almost gurantee Vilma would be a great LB here in a 3-4

Mangini..good job buddy. u had a decent/good defense in a 4-3 but u wanna go 3-4 and make the defense years away from being any good

J D Sal
Thanks for the lecture, but you really missed the point: it is possible that Mangini doesn't know how to run any defense except a clone of the one he copied from BB. You remember that guy in school who could only pass his classes by copying other people's homework? That works as long as everyone gets the same questions. Now that Mangini has to deal with a DIFFERENT situation (different players, blah blah) he doesn't know the answers.

Now they're saying Vilma may be out for the year

Well this is just plain weird. Coach says player was out of the game with an injury; player fumes, says no way, he was fine, it was a mysterious "coaching decision" to take him out; MRIs of the "coaching decision" reveal serious damage that could mean the end of his season.

:rolleyes:

Every little thing's a circus in Jets Land these days, isn't it?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots