PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players to Watch - Week 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Metaphors

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Pats Offense: David Thomas

The Jets won't let Moss beat them and they will have to put some extra focus on Welker to give the pass rush time to get to Cassel. Fasano and Martin combined for 12 rec/137 yds/2 td last week against the Jets. Look for Thomas to have a breakout game with Cassel looking for a big, safe target early and often.

Jets Defense: Shaun Ellis

Ellis has been inconsistent over the last couple of years but he looked strong and very active last week. He will be a handful for the right side of the Pats OL and should also open up opportunities for rush LBs and DBs around him. If the Pats have a downfield pass play called, I would think some extra protection on/around Ellis would be a good idea.

Jets Offense: Nick Mangold

Wilfork owned the KC interior line last week. If Mangold needs significant help to handle Wilfork, that will have a domino effect all along the line. Running lanes will turn into traffic jams. On passing downs, Mangold will have to manage on his own since the tackles will need help outside. It is up to Mangold to keep the pocket clean enough for Favre to step up. Look for the Pats to stunt and blitz up the middle to test Mangold.

Pats Defense: Richard Seymour

Seymour needs to be a disruptive force. The Jets want to run behind Faneca so it will be important to take that away early to keep the Jets out of rhythm in the running game. When Favre goes back to pass, it will be important for Seymour to make sure Favre knows he is there. Seymour may not be able to get the sack himself, but if Favre hears footsteps and is forced off his spot, the odds of him getting hit and/or forcing a pass go way up. Favre also loves the quick slant pass so Seymour should have opportunities at deflecting some passes.

Pats Player on the Spot: Brandon Meriweather

Favre will attack downfield whether his receiver is open or not. If Meriweather can get in the right position (check!) and get his hands on the ball (right on!), he could get the key turnover (ack!) that decides the game.

Jets Player on the Spot: Kris Jenkins

The Panthers shipped Jenkins out of town because he was a double-cheeseburger shy of imploding. He can be a pest early in games but he is generally useless when the game is on the line. If the Pats can make him run around in the first half, he may not make it out of the locker room after halftime.

X-Factor: Placekicker

Gostkowski has looked strong all off-season but the thing I've noticed is that he is drilling them down the middle from the hash marks. In the past, he has been prone to coming close to the goal post or overcompensating for the angle. He has looked comfortable kicking from all distances and every angle.

Nugent is hurt and the Jets signed Jay Feely. Feely won't stick with the Jets but this is his audition for a future kicking gig. In New York. Against the Pats. Sphincter tightening factor for a late game kick = 9.7

I gotta say the X player is Sanders. Now that they have a big arm QB, I would look for them to try some dbl moves to get the WR deep. I am not to comfortable with our Safety situation at the moment...

I'm confused. We lose our QB. We are playing Favre and the man on the spot is our backup FS?

PLAYERS ON THE SPOT
Cassel nuff said
Wheatley Favre will test the rookie
James Sanders Favre will test him in coverage

I'm confused. We lose our QB. We are playing Favre and the man on the spot is our backup FS?

PLAYERS ON THE SPOT
Cassel nuff said
Wheatley Favre will test the rookie
James Sanders Favre will test him in coverage

Wheatley has to get on the field before anyone can test him in coverage. Since when did Sanders lost his starting spot?? OK, substitute Meriweather in there....dont make me be Deion and say "dont bite on the double move".

1) Why isn't Wheatley on the field?
2) The original post put Meriweather on the spot. Sanders is the starter is on the "spot" as you said.

The bottom line is that our secondary will be tested.

Wheatley has to get on the field before anyone can test him in coverage. Since when did Sanders lost his starting spot?? OK, substitute Meriweather in there....dont make me be Deion and say "dont bite on the double move".

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes