PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players the Pats spoke with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.nextlevelscoutinginc.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=34&Itemid=0

Over the course of the East-West Shrine Game and Senior Bowl practice sessions, as well as the numerous hours of time spent in the hotel lobby and interview areas of the individual game headquarters it is easy to observe the genuine interest certain teams have in learning more about individual prospects.
Here is a team-by-team list of “Players of Interest†for each team who either spent occasions speaking to all the players listed one-or-more times after one-or-several practices, back in the respective hotel lobbies, in official/un-official meeting/hotel rooms or at the very least requested to speak further with the players after they completed a team profile sheet during the two week evaluation process that took place in mid-to-late January. We have also added a handful of Underclassmen who were interviewed during the week of one of the two games or contacted themselves or through their agents during that period of time.

However, one very interesting note on all of these interviews or meetings is the fact that on occasion teams will actually schedule an interview with a certain player in order to also ask him questions about a current or former teammate, even as far back as someone they played with in high school. In fact, while collecting the data to compile this list one player told us that every team he interviewed with specifically asked him 2-3 pointed questions about one of his college teammates, regarding his own evaluation of that players attitude, character and conduct off-the-field.

Will this be a foreshadow to what or how the teams plan to further evaluate the prospects listed below at the Combine and/or upcoming Pro Days will only prove out in time, but for now it might lend some insight to how teams might look to fill areas of need come April’s NFL Draft.

New England… Ryan Cook (New Mexico, OL), Charles Spencer (Pittsburgh, OL), Dusty Dvoracek (Oklahoma, DT), Jesse Mahelona (Tennessee, DT), Jeremy Trueblood (Boston College, OT), Babatunde Oshinowo (Stanford, DT), Darryl Tapp (Virginia Tech, DE), Joseph Addai (LSU, RB), Anthony Smith (Syracuse, S), Mark Anderson (Alabama, DE), Thomas Olmsted (Troy, P), Kyle Williams (LSU, DT), Kamerion Wimbley (Florida State, DE/OLB), Sinorice Moss (Miami, WR/RT), DJ Shockley (Georgia, QB), Michael Robinson (Penn State, QB/WR), Tye Hill (Clemson, CB/RT), David Pittman (Northwestern State), Nick Mangold (Ohio State, OC), Mark Setterstrom (Minnesota, OG), Ryan O’Callaghan (California, OL), Travis Wilson (Oklahoma, WR), Roman Harper (Alabama, S), Tim Jennings (Georgia, CB/RT), DeMeco Ryans (Alabama, LB), Thomas Howard (UTEP, LB), Parys Haralson (Tennessee, DE/OLB), Chris Gocong (Cal Poly, DE), Isaac Sowells (Indiana, OL), Steve Fifita (Utah, DT), Rashad Butler (Miami, OT), Eric Henderson (Georgia Tech, DE), Rocky McIntosh (Miami, LB), James Wyche (Syracuse, DE), Kevin Boothe (Cornell, OL), Jason Spitz (Louisville, OL), Brandon Hoyte (Notre Dame, LB), James Anderson (Virginia Tech, LB), Charlie Pep rah (Alabama, S), Nate Salley (Ohio State, S), Dawan Landry (Georgia Tech, S), Greg Jennings (Western Michigan, WR), Tarvaris Jackson (Alabama State, QB), Gerrick McPhearson (Maryland, CB), Leon Washington (Florida State, RB), Jonathan Orr (Wisconsin, WR), Todd Watkins (BYU, WR), Dwayne Slay (Texas Tech, S), Danieal Manning (Abilene Christian, DB/RT), Paul Pinegar (Fresno State, QB), Taurean Henderson (Texas Tech, RB), Justin Wyatt (USC, CB), Jonathan Scifres (SW Missouri State, K), Mike Haas (Oregon State, WR), Gilbert Harris (Arizona, FB/RB), Joe Toledo (Washington, OT), Chris Kuper (North Dakota, OL), Tim Day (Oregon, TE), Reggie McNeal (Texas A&M, QB), Johnny Jolly (Texas A&M, DT), Brandon Williams (Wisconsin, WR/RT), Marques Colston (Hofstra, WR), Bruce Gradkowski (Toledo, QB), Tommy Jackson (Auburn, DT), Frostee Rucker (USC, DE), Josh Huston (Ohio State, K), Brian Calhoun (Wisconsin, RB), Antonio Cromartie (Florida State, DB/RT), Chad Jackson (Florida, WR), Richard Marshall (Fresno State, CB/RT), Paul Szczesny (Arizona State/Indiana, LB).

Numbers by college position:
12 OL: 3 OC, 2 OG, 7 OT
09 WR:
08 CB:
08 DE:
07 DT:
06 QB:
06 S:
06 LB
04 RB:
03 K/P:
01 TE:

It will be interesting to reflect on this as well as after combine interviews. Will always remember when Red Aurbach scouted Dave Cowens at Florida state and walked out before the first half was over - he snookered everybody........

The Pats spent a lot of time last year on players with questions on their resumes.

I find it interesting that the Patriots spoke to 6 QBs. I also find it interesting that they only spoke to 1 TE.

I think its no surprise that they spoke to a ton of offensive players (O-line and WR) though they also spoke to a ton of Defensive players as well, including 15 Defensive linemen.

Its interesting to note that the Pats did NOT Speak to Manny Lawson, Mathias Kiwanuka, Tamba Hali, Michael Huff, Lawrence Maroney, and a host of other hot names that seem to be floating amongst us pats fans.

It will be REALLY interesting to note who they talk to at the Combine and then Pro-Days and then compare the 2 lists with the players they draft to see if there is a pattern.

DaBruinz said:
I find it interesting that the Patriots spoke to 6 QBs. I also find it interesting that they only spoke to 1 TE.

I think its no surprise that they spoke to a ton of offensive players (O-line and WR) though they also spoke to a ton of Defensive players as well, including 15 Defensive linemen.

Its interesting to note that the Pats did NOT Speak to Manny Lawson, Mathias Kiwanuka, Tamba Hali, Michael Huff, Lawrence Maroney, and a host of other hot names that seem to be floating amongst us pats fans.

It will be REALLY interesting to note who they talk to at the Combine and then Pro-Days and then compare the 2 lists with the players they draft to see if there is a pattern.
I seem to remember BB talking about how they had drafted players before that they had not interviewed...

KDPpatsfan said:
I seem to remember BB talking about how they had drafted players before that they had not interviewed...

Thats exactly right I think its just a smoke screen.

why would it be a smokescreen? what youre suggesting is that the pats dont interview players they have an eye on? i mean when youre interviewing 100 players chances are who you didnt interview will stick out more then who you did interview

Speaking with a player doesn't mean the player impressed during the interview. Besides, the Pats have 9 picks and have already interviewed 12 O-linemen alone. What it does show is areas where they are screening the most players.

Younever really know what's going on. Isn't that what makes the draft soooooo greeat!? In all seriousness though. I am sure there are alot of players out there that BB and Co. probably feel that they know enough about. Through either gametape, interviews, or info from inside contacts. Just because they don't interview a guy, it doesn't mean they are not interested in drafting him. Also, don't forget what that article stated. Some of those guys couldve been brought in to merely be asked ?'s about other guys. Ahhhh, I love the draft. Guess we'll just have to wait and see.

What I do know from Patriot Reign is that the Pats do rely on their scouting staff and coaches they know to interview players when they are scouting them and that the Pats rely on those interviews as well as interviews done by Pioli and BB.

Damn, that was a good book. Wasnt it? I am still surprised that they even let some of that stuff get published.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back