Welcome to PatsFans.com

Players stepping up

Discussion in 'PatsFans.com - Patriots Fan Forum' started by mgteich, Dec 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

Obviously Welker, Maroney and Faulk continue to play well.

However the following players seems to step up this week: Springs, Sanders, Vollmer, and Burgess.
  2. MrNathanDrake

MrNathanDrake On the Roster

Ratings:
    +329 / 13 / -13

#95 Jersey

Burgess stepped it up. He had a big sack when we really needed it. Then followed with a tackle the very next play.

Good to know he still cares about his career (unlike Adalius)

Wes Welker... goes without saying almost. He got pumped after getting drilled. Actually that's what sparked our team.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2009
  3. JoeShmoe

JoeShmoe Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Springs?

Guy was torched for Smiths TD
  4. italian pat patriot

italian pat patriot Rookie

Ratings:
    +16 / 1 / -0

#12 Jersey

also Ben Watson was a huge factor and i'm very happy for it

also in my opinion Burgess was quite ok
  5. patsfan-1982

patsfan-1982 Rookie

Ratings:
    +9 / 1 / -0

burgess had a good game

springs i think this was he's frist game in some time and he showd why he is not playing lol

Vollmer i think this was he's worst game so far and he still played pretty good

sanders got to play and did what he all ways did for the pats he's job noting great just a good job

wes welker was great

it was a good win lets hope they can get there first road win next week vs the bills lets keep it going boys GO PATS
  6. satz

satz Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

wow reading this you would think that the defence has been doing it job good and we have had no issues and it was more of the same.
    what do you think about the dumb saying in pats locker which josh took to denver ,that stupid "do your job" one.
  7. Lockdown06

Lockdown06 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

In response to Sanders - Check out what Meriweather had to say about him after the game:

Brandon Meriweather, Safety
    (On James Sanders)

"James Sanders is probably the smartest defensive back on our team. I'm not saying I'm not smart, but to be honest, he is the smartest d-back on our team. He knows every position. He knows every call. He brings more to the table when it comes to making checks and making calls and it was great to have him in there."

Patriots Postgame Quotes

I really think having Sanders in there calmed the defense a bit - I know he's not out there making insane plays, but he's the field general we've been looking for
  8. Willie55

Willie55 Rookie

Ratings:
    +3 / 0 / -0

Speaking of Sanders, Did McGowan play? I don't recall him being out there.
  9. PATSYLICIOUS

PATSYLICIOUS Rookie

Ratings:
    +73 / 0 / -1

#12 Jersey

Agreed about Springs. Not just for the rest of this season but if we're unable to retain Bodden, we will need him even more.

Hopefully Burgess is ready to breakout, if he comes through the last 4+ whatever games for us he'll have been worth that 3rd rounder.
  10. Lockdown06

Lockdown06 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

11. Amazon4

Amazon4 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

He was on at the end of the Pats 5th Q. The coverage was blown by the others, and he flew across to try to make a play. It wasn't his screw up. Something else fell apart. (at least that's what I got from it :rolleyes:)
  12. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

Sanders started for McGowan and as of late Chung has been taking McGowans place on most sub packages.

McGowan has struggled lately in pass coverages and thus his playing time has been effected. I think he needs to step it up and play better because when he is at his best hes better than Sanders.
  13. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think this play had something to do with Meriweather biting on the play action. He was supposed to be Springs' help over the top and he wasnt there. Not saying that it wasnt Springs' fault but Meriweather had something to do with it as well.
  14. mayoclinic

mayoclinic PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +495 / 0 / -2

I don't think Vollmer "stepped up" this game. He was merely back, and is a big "step up" from Kaczur.
  15. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

It wasnt Vollmer's best game thats for sure. I think he isnt as comfortable at RT than he is at LT, but this needs to change especially is Kaczur is going to miss time
  16. goldenaleus

goldenaleus Rookie

Ratings:
    +6 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

Correct, I believe that two WR came down on posts and Merriweather bit on the inside WR leaving Springs out to dry.
  17. mgteich

mgteich PatsFans.com Veteran PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +287 / 19 / -2

Vollmer played a new position for him and did at least as well as the starter he replaced. To me, that is stepping up.

I should have mentioned Watson with those who have usually done well. Watson has done all that he has been asked of this year.
  18. The Dynasty

The Dynasty Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I think Merriweather and McGowan need to step up and start playing like they were playing at the beginning of the year.
  19. Lockdown06

Lockdown06 Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

McGowan I agree with.

Meriweather - I think he's actually playing pretty close to the same level he was at earlier this year, we're just seeing some growing pains and the downside to his "roving"

The two big plays he's partially at fault for allowing were a direct result of him jumping an underneath route - it's the same thing that lead to his pick six in tampa and his insane break-up at the line of scrimmage in the ravens game, where it looked like he came out of nowhere.

He's still really young, and I think at this stage, very qbs can take advantage of his aggressiveness.

I said this in a different thread a while ago, but I view Meriweather as the safety version of Asante Samuel - not quite as good in coverage as Asante, a better hitter, but the real similarity is they both gamble a little to make big plays - sometimes it burns us, sometimes it wins us a game - hopefully as Meriweather continues to get seasoning, he'll become more Ed Reed and less Asante, but regardless he's still a good player
  20. Metaphors

Metaphors Rookie

Ratings:
    +8 / 0 / -0

The difference for me was that Watson finally looked healthy for the first time in a long time. If he gets back to 100%, that will be huge in the run for the title. His hands don't seem to be a question this year and he is a mismatch on just about every play. Brady also likes looking for Watson in the red zone, which is still the only major question mark for the offense.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.