PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players Snubbed by Combine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mark Morse

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
Who are some of the players you thought should have been invoted to the combine that weren't?

I'll throw out two:

Donnie Fletcher CB BC
George Bryan TE North Carolina St.

J.K. Schaffer, teammate of Derek Wolfe.
J.K. Schaffer Interception vs Oklahoma - YouTube

Cincinnati Linebacker JK Schaffer Named 2011 American Eagle Outfitters BIG EAST Football Scholar-Athlete of the Year > The BIG EAST Conference > News
A three-year starter, Schaffer had 337 career tackles, leading all BIG EAST players who were active in 2011. He finished his career with 27.5 tackles for loss, 15 pass breakups, six forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He earned All-BIG EAST First Team honors in 2011 after he ranked third in the conference in tackles (8.8 per game), had four sacks and led a Cincinnati unit that led the nation in sacks (8.6 per game) and was sixth nationally in rushing defense (96.2 ypg). He was an All-BIG EAST Second Team choice in 2010.

Yes, Cincinnati led the nation in sacks per game, because Wolfe was constantly double-teamed and his teammates took advantage. Like I said, Wolfe is a beast.

Fletcher was horrible in the Senior Bowl. He, literally, looked lost out there on every play.. I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him.

Fletcher was horrible in the Senior Bowl. He, literally, looked lost out there on every play.. I wouldn't waste a draft pick on him.

I agree with you. But Fletcher was listed as a potential 5-6 rd pick by NFL Draft Scout.

Dominique Davis QB E. Carolina
Bobby Rainey RB Western Kentucky
Brad Smelley TE Alabama

Brandon Brooks OG, Miami (OH)

Just had his pro day and put up really good numbers:

6'5", 345 lbs
36 reps (would have been second at combine)
4.98 40 (again good for combine second)
32" vert (3rd)
7.34 3-cone (3rd)
4.52 s-shuttle (1st)

Patriots like athletic OG's and Brooks looks to fill that criteria. Is being talked about as a 3-4th rounder.

From NFL's Future scouting report:

Bottom Line: Brandon Brooks is an impressive physical specimen that carries his weight really well. Played guard and tackle at Miami but his game fits better in-line in the NFL. He’s a perfect fit in a power run scheme that doesn’t require him to move block in open spaces often. Man on man, you won’t find many better than Brooks in this draft. This was a guy I was able to see in person on several occasions and was the clear standout in all the games. Impressive and intimidating size.

6'5", 345 lbs
32" vert (3rd)
7.34 3-cone (3rd)
4.52 s-shuttle (1st)

Patriots like athletic OG's and Brooks looks to fill that criteria. Is being talked about as a 3-4th rounder.

Definitely fits into all the categories that Box mentioned with the vertical and such.. Curious what his broad jump was and how long his arms are, though as a guard, longer arms aren't as much of an issue, just as long as they aren't "T-Rex" arms (under 32").

Definitely fits into all the categories that Box mentioned with the vertical and such.. Curious what his broad jump was and how long his arms are, though as a guard, longer arms aren't as much of an issue, just as long as they aren't "T-Rex" arms (under 32").

From NFP's scouting report:

He is a long armed guy for his size.

Broad jump was 8'9" which would have tied him for sixth at the combine.

2012 NFL draft pro day updates - Tony Pauline - SI.com

The Miami pro day is important, as offensive lineman Brandon Brooks, considered the highest rated player not invited to the combine, took the field. More than two dozen teams were on hand to watch Brooks today, and he did not disappoint.

The big offensive lineman measured 6-foot-5 and weighed 346 pounds. He completed 36 reps on the bench press, a number exceeded by just one offensive lineman at the combine. The same can be said for Brooks' 4.98 40 time, which included a 10-yard split of 1.71 seconds. Only Donald Stephenson ran faster at the combine. His vertical jump of 32 inches and broad jump of 8-feet, 9-inches were also superb. The 4.52 short shuttle time beat all marks from the offensive linemen who ran in Indianapolis.
After sizzling during the testing portion of his workout, Brandon Brooks continued to impress during a 10-minute segment of position drills. According to scouts Brooks moved well around the field, looking fluid and smooth. At one point during bag drills he knocked over a coach from the Pittsburgh Steelers after violently striking the bag with his powerful hand punch.

Brooks is slated for a second workout next Thursday, March 8, where he will solely participate in offensive line drills. The expectations from NFL decision makers at the workout is Brooks will be the first non-combine participant drafted in April.

6'5", 345 lbs
32" vert (3rd)
7.34 3-cone (3rd)
4.52 s-shuttle (1st)

Thanks for the update on Brooks ... I had completely forgotten about him ... don't understand why he wasn't invited???

A few more top players not invited but should get drafted:

Oklahoma State offensive tackle Levy Adcoch
Houston outside linebacker Sammy Brown
Wisconsin free safety Aaron Henry
East Carolina wide receiver Lance Lewis
Miami (Fla.) defensive tackle Micanor Regis

Last edited by a moderator:
I know im biased but i was a little suprised arkansas LB Jerry Franklin wasnt invited...he was a 4 year starter and led us in tackles all 4 years...he's a bit undersized though.

Another guy that could be good value as an UDFA is S Tramain Thomas...he was actually tied with mark barron in career INTs. Was inconsistent early this year though and got benched in a few games

Cant post a youtube link yet but the name of the video is S Tramain Thomas, Arkansas Hightlights

mod edit: here's the link to that video: YouTube: S Tramain Thomas, Arkansas Hightlights

Last edited by a moderator:
j.k. Schaffer, teammate of derek wolfe.
j.k. Schaffer interception vs oklahoma - youtube

cincinnati linebacker jk schaffer named 2011 american eagle outfitters big east football scholar-athlete of the year > the big east conference > news
a three-year starter, schaffer had 337 career tackles, leading all big east players who were active in 2011. He finished his career with 27.5 tackles for loss, 15 pass breakups, six forced fumbles and two fumble recoveries. He earned all-big east first team honors in 2011 after he ranked third in the conference in tackles (8.8 per game), had four sacks and led a cincinnati unit that led the nation in sacks (8.6 per game) and was sixth nationally in rushing defense (96.2 ypg). He was an all-big east second team choice in 2010.

yes, cincinnati led the nation in sacks per game, because wolfe was constantly double-teamed and his teammates took advantage. Like i said, wolfe is a beast.

srsly bro?

Safety isn't deep, but there were only a few FS at the Combine.

Others who might be drafted:

Aaron Henry, Wisconsin - 67 tackles, 4 passes defensed, 4 INT's
Eddie Whitley, Virginia Tech - 83, 4/4
Tramain Thomas, Arkansas - 91, 6/5

Re: Draft sleepers: Non-combine invitees

Can't believe Cody Pearcy's name isn't on that list.

I don't know if you can qualify him as a sleeper but cb/fs Brandon Hardin from Oregon State did not get invited to the combine, but blew up at his proday.

Can't believe Cody Pearcy's name isn't on that list.

I think he counts as more comatose than sleeper.

I think he counts as more comatose than sleeper.

He'll be catching passes in the NFL next year, book it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots