PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players playing their last contract year.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reiss tweeted an update: Lousaka Polite's contract runs through the 2012 season, so he is not a UFA.

I disagree. I see Koppen coming back until he loses his job to somebody better in Training Camp. I don't see anybody being able to do that who is currently on the roster.

I agree, and think that Dan Koppen is still an important part of the line.

While I certainly feel as though the team will draft a center, it may not end up being quite as high as many here think.

Even then, I think Koppen continues to play next yr while we groom the replacement.

Dan Koppen has a great rapport with Brady himself, and has a lot to manage in recognition and call changes.

I think the "surprise" guy that won't be around next year is Koppen. They've proven that they have enough guys to fill that role just fine (heck, at times this year they've used their *4th* string center). To keep him would cost a lot. I think they should keep Welker, Slater, Anderson, Connolly, Love, and Ihedigbo. I'm ambivalent about some of the other guys. I like BJGE and would love to retain him, but I think he probably could get a lot of $$ elsewhere. Hoyer is fine, but I think Mallett will be fine as the #2 guy next year. Guyton, Ellis, Faulk, Branch...all useful players but I'm ok if they replace them.

But yeah, Koppen is the likely surprise guy who I don't think will be back. Just too much money and they don't need him, really.

I used to think like that, regarding Koppen, and I hated seeing him get blown up but now seeing how much our protection has suffered and how deteriorated our run-blocking has become, I am not so sure anymore. I think I would like to see him back for at least 1-2 more years. At least until we get a legit center groomed. Neither Connolly or Wendell are starter quality centers.

Kyle Love is an RFA, not a UFA. He'll be back.

I believe the following will be brought back.

Mark Anderson
Matt Slater
Ryan Wendell
James Ihedigbo
Antwan Molden
Tracy White
Wes Welker

Contrary to CTPatsfan, Niko Koutivides and Brian Hoyer are NOT RFA. They are UFA. As is Brett Lockett. All have a minimum of 4 years in the league.

Brian Hoyer is an RFA. This was his 3rd season.
Brett Lockett is in his 3rd year sp he is an RFA

Last edited:
Other than the obvious Welker, I want Mark Anderson back. Our defense is completely different when he's out there. He's even good against the run from what I saw last week.

Good update, I like to apply a rating to each player and then look for themes.

The bolder the color the worse the position is rated.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...QXNhc0IweWJ6bUE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

At a glance:
- the cupboard is bare at WR and DE
- the seconday is weak and has no depth

Of the free agents I would start with the special teamers and work out (assumes Welker is franchised)

White, Slater, Koutouvides, Ihedigbo Unfortunately some of these guys got to play positional roles. It reminds me of when Izzo had to play defense, shudder....

The rest are "Price is right guys"

Good update, I like to apply a rating to each player and then look for themes.

The bolder the color the worse the position is rated.
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...QXNhc0IweWJ6bUE&single=true&gid=0&output=html

At a glance:
- the cupboard is bare at WR and DE
- the seconday is weak and has no depth

Of the free agents I would start with the special teamers and work out (assumes Welker is franchised)

White, Slater, Koutouvides, Ihedigbo Unfortunately some of these guys got to play positional roles. It reminds me of when Izzo had to play defense, shudder....

The rest are "Price is right guys"

I think you missed the guys who are on the IR such as Hix and Tarpinian.

Why did you rate Kopa, Silvestro, and Riviera as "Not NFL Caliber"? Do you really think that BB would have them on the PS if they had no shot at contributing?

I used to think like that, regarding Koppen, and I hated seeing him get blown up but now seeing how much our protection has suffered and how deteriorated our run-blocking has become, I am not so sure anymore. I think I would like to see him back for at least 1-2 more years. At least until we get a legit center groomed. Neither Connolly or Wendell are starter quality centers.

I totally agree. I see no reason not to keep him around for another yr or two, groom the potential new guy, and have some quality depth at the position.

On top of that, it really seems as though Belichick thinks highly of him in many ways.

I think Koppen stays, his rapport with Brady and the line in general is too important. Not only that, but I haven't exactly seen improvement up the middle since he's been gone; and that is probably something that flies right over a lot of fans' heads. Yes Koppen has had issues at times, but I still think he brings a lot to the table.

I think you missed the guys who are on the IR such as Hix and Tarpinian.

Why did you rate Kopa, Silvestro, and Riviera as "Not NFL Caliber"? Do you really think that BB would have them on the PS if they had no shot at contributing?

Thank you, I will add Hix and Tarpinian.

Not to be cruel but I think the practice squad players are their to help the varsity team practice. I could be wrong but I am drawing a blank on any former Patriots practice squad player who has ever made a meaningful contribution to the team.

Not to be cruel but I think the practice squad players are their to help the varsity team practice. I could be wrong but I am drawing a blank on any former Patriots practice squad player who has ever made a meaningful contribution to the team.

Hopefully that changes this yr with Sterling Moore.

I totally agree. I see no reason not to keep him around for another yr or two, groom the potential new guy, and have some quality depth at the position.

On top of that, it really seems as though Belichick thinks highly of him in many ways.

I think Koppen stays, his rapport with Brady and the line in general is too important. Not only that, but I haven't exactly seen improvement up the middle since he's been gone; and that is probably something that flies right over a lot of fans' heads. Yes Koppen has had issues at times, but I still think he brings a lot to the table.

Its like with Light. People only remember the bad play, not the many good plays. I thought Light would sign a two yr deal, and im now thinking the same for Koppen. Unless he wants a fortune, he's coming back. I do think the backups have done a good job, but not a great job.

Colston is a stud for NO. Since NO will franchise Brees, Colston will be a true FA. We should be so lucky as to get him.

If I was N.O., I would get one of them resigned now, and franchise the other later.

Colston "won't take less" for NO. Makes me confident NE won't like his price tag.

Koppen should be back à la M. Light. BJGE should be gone - I just can't see some team wanting to pay him decent money and I'd pass on doing just that... Ridley can plow through tackles and I have to think Vereen plays much more next year (hopefully offseason helps). Faulk and Warren should be gone as well.

Not a Molden fan, but he'll be cheap so he might return - as all cheapies on that list could...

BB always has a few surprises when he plays with the roster. I hope he doesn't have to start team building for the Fall until several key wins this winter !

I think a year off for Koppen could help rejuvenate his career. It seems like his body was starting to fail him more and more often over time. Hopefully it was something that came with the pounding as opposed to just age.

Also, Gerard Warren basically said he's going to play for Belichick as long as he wants him. So he'll be in camp at the very minimum, and end up either on the roster or the first DL off the street when a Pats DL inevitably goes down.

My guesses and reasons

Wes Welker, back he is wes welker
Matthew Slater, big ST guy returns
Kyle Love, Back RFA
Brian Hoyer, back RFA
BJGE, back is the price is right only. Made his way from UDFA to PS to 53 to starter. Worth keeping if he doesn't break the bank 3mil max
Dan Connolly, back a good back up on the interior OL
Dan Koppen, age and injury could keep his value down give him a deal like light and bring him back
James Ihedigbo, back BB seems to like him
Niko Koutouvides, 1 year vet min deal to compete in camp
Antwaun Molden, back for camp cut before seasons
Gerard Warren, not back but on speed dial
Shaun Ellis, not back maybe retires
Gary Guyton, not back doesn't add much to the team
Nate Jones, same as molden
Bret Lockett, back RFA
Lousaka Polite, been extended per Riess
Kevin Faulk, retires
Tracy White, ST guy but I think he will lose out this year
Andre Carter, not sure with the injury I hope to have him back for another year see how he heals
Mark Anderson, back if he doesn't want too much or if carter is gone
Deion Branch, back but at bet min or gone.

My guesses and reasons

Wes Welker, back he is wes welker
Matthew Slater, big ST guy returns
Kyle Love, Back RFA
Brian Hoyer, back RFA
BJGE, back is the price is right only. Made his way from UDFA to PS to 53 to starter. Worth keeping if he doesn't break the bank 3mil max
Dan Connolly, back a good back up on the interior OL
Dan Koppen, age and injury could keep his value down give him a deal like light and bring him back
James Ihedigbo, back BB seems to like him
Niko Koutouvides, 1 year vet min deal to compete in camp
Antwaun Molden, back for camp cut before seasons
Gerard Warren, not back but on speed dial
Shaun Ellis, not back maybe retires
Gary Guyton, not back doesn't add much to the team
Nate Jones, same as molden
Bret Lockett, back RFA
Lousaka Polite, been extended per Riess
Kevin Faulk, retires
Tracy White, ST guy but I think he will lose out this year
Andre Carter, not sure with the injury I hope to have him back for another year see how he heals
Mark Anderson, back if he doesn't want too much or if carter is gone
Deion Branch, back but at bet min or gone.

Mostly agree, although I think Hoyer is gone and Mallett moves in at #2 behind Brady. Retirements include Ellis, Carter and Faulk. The new rookie cap in a year with a full off-season is the most interesting part of this picture. BB may keep more picks and build with another large rookie class that could include all the high picks since the Patriots can afford to pay them now.

From this list, I see several players moving on because they believe they are ready for more responsibility/$$ than what the Pats can offer.

On O

BJGE....platooning will not bring him $$...and his ball security is a skill that teams may seek

Hoyer....have to believe he wants to find a roster where he can at least compete for a starting job. I have no idea what a RFA QB earns but I don't expect BB to pay millions for a clipboard holder

Koppen.....He's made some nice coin in NE. Unfortunately, the Pats offense has become heavy with contracts....Brady, Mankins, Light....with big pay days coming for Welker, and eventually Gronk. I see BB saving dollars here and Koppen moves on

Branch.....this will be interesting. In an ideal world, Branch would return as depth....first WR off the bench with a younger talent taking his starting position. No doubt in my mind Ocho is gone....Unfortunately, the salary savings from Ocho will be going into Welker's pocket....so filling the #2 WR gets more difficult. As far as Branch goes, I don't see other teams making a play with a nice contract offer. Branch should be back at a slightly reduced rate.

Last edited:

Ashworth, Hochstein, Wendell, Connolly, Ray Ventrone, Kyle Arrington. Brandon Gorin.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye