PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

players on the block for draft picks

BobDigital

Pro Bowl Player
Reaction score
BB is not afraid of trading a pick for a player.

This assumes however the player is not overly expensive for that year which is especially true this year.

A few that come to mind are of course

Kenny Vaccaro - S
Panthers - G (had 2 rookies come in and do well at Guard so could look to move a vet) Amini Silatolu maybe?
Raiders - G (Gabe Jackson could make the team want to trade/cut a more costly vet)

Just throwing out ideas and not sure I really want any of these guys that bad. Just trying to get the ball rolling. Any other names/teams that might want to move someone on draft day?

It's a bit early. I'd want to see what happens in FA first. Kenny Vaccaro was someone I would have traded for, but with Pat Chung re-signed there are other areas on which to focus.

I could also easily see it go the other way, with someone like Alfonzo Dennard being traded away for a pick.

A guard, linebacker, DT or WR seem the most obvious.

I'd trade a 3rd for Kendall Wright although I don't know why the titans would do that.

I've seen G Jonathan Cooper's name thrown out as someone that might be available. Pats supposedly loved him in the draft but he went high.

cooper was the safest player at the safest position. Gets injured his rookie year before taking a snap, gets chastised by coach for being slow to improve, and barely plays this season.

Would be an interesting gamble, someone that would cost almost nothing but the 2 years base salary. Is he worth more than a 6th rounder at this point though?

God I would love Jonathan Cooper. Would trade a second rounder for him in a heartbeat. Easily my favourite prospect the year he came out.

God I would love Jonathan Cooper. Would trade a second rounder for him in a heartbeat. Easily my favourite prospect the year he came out.

I don't know about a 2nd. A 3rd, maybe. A 4th, yes. Cooper has cap hits of almost $4M this year and over $4.6M in 2016, and his 5th year option would be a transition tag. So you'd have to be fairly confident that you were getting a very good starter to spend that on him at this point, no matter how good he appeared to be in 2013.

Athletically, I think Ali Marpet compares well with Jonathan Cooper:

Height: Cooper 6' 2 1/8" / Marpet 6' 3 6/8"
Weight: Cooper 311# / Marpet 307#
Arm Length: Cooper 33" / Marpet 33 3/8"
Hands: Cooper 10 1/4" / Marpet 10"
40: Cooper 5.06 / Marpet 4.98
10-split: Cooper 1.72 / Marpet 1.74
SS: Cooper 4.84 / Marpet 4.47
3C: Cooper 7.78 / Marpet 7.33
VJ: Cooper 27" / Marpet 30"
BJ: Cooper 9' 0" / Marpet 9' 0"
BP: Cooper 35 reps / Marpet 30 reps

Obviously, Cooper was in another league as far as development and as a prospect. But I had had the thought previously that Marpet could possibly become a Cooper-like athletic pulling guard.

Last edited:
I don't know about a 2nd. A 3rd, maybe. A 4th, yes. Cooper has cap hits of almost $4M this year and over $4.6M in 2016, and his 5th year option would be a transition tag. So you'd have to be fairly confident that you were getting a very good starter to spend that on him at this point, no matter how good he appeared to be in 2013.

Obviously, Cooper was in another league as far as development and as a prospect. But I had had the thought previously that Marpet could possibly become a Cooper-like athletic pulling guard.

I believe the cap hit would be closer to the minimum, since almost all his guarantees were in his signing.

I feel like in a draft with such good guard depth I wouldn't spend anything higher than a 5th. Also it is not like Cooper is a sure thing. He does have a few question marks. Still an option I would for sure explore as a low risk high reward signing.

Cooper's signing bonus was $9M.. That stays with Arizona regardless of where he's playing. What the Pats would be on the hook for is his base salary and the roster bonuses of $1.1M and $1.4M in 2015 and 2016 respectively.

EDIT: One note.. Depending on when the 2015 Roster bonus is supposed to be paid, the Cardinals could be on the hook for that as well.

Last edited:
It's a bit early. I'd want to see what happens in FA first. Kenny Vaccaro was someone I would have traded for, but with Pat Chung re-signed there are other areas on which to focus.

I could also easily see it go the other way, with someone like Alfonzo Dennard being traded away for a pick.

Id be willing to trade Chung and Dennard and a 7th for Kenny Vaccaro in a heart beat.
Or work a trade for those two players and give them our late 4th after we acquire a few picks form trading away a safety and corner.
He's a playmaker! He just had a bad year on a bad D. He could bring some attitude to our backfield. Bill could use him in so many ways.

but i doubt that would happen, especially considering NO's cap issues

Last edited:
Id be willing to trade Chung and Dennard and a 7th for Kenny Vaccaro in a heart beat.

Or work a trade for those two players and give them our late 4th after we acquire a few picks form trading away a safety and corner.

He's a playmaker! He just had a bad year on a bad D. He could bring some attitude to our backfield. Bill could use him in so many ways.

I would, too. I had Vaccaro as an unlikely but highly attractive target in my early "backdraft" 8 weeks ago:
Pre-FA Trade vs. Re-Signings:

I would offer the Pats early 4th round pick from TB to New Orleans for DB Kenny Vaccaro. Vaccaro has 2 years left on his rookie deal. He would be a perfect fit as a hybrid S/LB/slot CB for the Pats. He was benched twice this season, partly over mis-use as a classic SS. I don't know if he can be gotten, but I'd make a run at him. If it doesn't work out, then I'd re-sign Pat Chung for something around 3 years/$8M with $3M guaranteed and a 2015 cap hit of about $2.5M, similar to Vaccaro's 2015 hit.

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...s-of-a-motley-masochistic-mastermind.1114686/

But that was BEFORE the Saints kept Rob Ryan as DC and the Pats re-signed Chung, for darn close to what I had suggested (3 years, $7.2M, $3.4M guaranteed, 2016 cap hit of $2M). I'd still do it in a heartbeat, but I can't see it happening.

I would, too. I had Vaccaro as an unlikely but highly attractive target in my early "backdraft" 8 weeks ago:

http://www.patsfans.com/new-england...s-of-a-motley-masochistic-mastermind.1114686/

But that was BEFORE the Saints kept Rob Ryan as DC and the Pats re-signed Chung, for darn close to what I had suggested (3 years, $7.2M, $3.4M guaranteed, 2016 cap hit of $2M). I'd still do it in a heartbeat, but I can't see it happening.

Haha nice. Again we see eye to eye on something.

I mean, wasn't it Rob Ryan that benched him? Maybe he would be willing to part ways with him?
Chung did have a good year, especially if you look at his numbers and ranking as a SS. I think he fits a "classic SS", more so then Vaccaro does.

God having Vaccaro would be awesome!

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Back