PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Players getting WAY OVER PAYED!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
This is just ridiculous! I'm glad the Pats haven't been this stupid in recent years giving average players huge contracts. Brian Williams? Kevin Shaffer? Are you kidding me? Trever Pryce with his injury history and inconsistant play gets a 10M signing bonus. And then some random DT that signed with the Panthers gets 5yr, 27M!!! Who the F!#@ is this guy? Someone wrote this in a post earlier, now Seymour is going to want a lot of money after he sees how much this chump got. Thanks alot Carolina. IDIOTS! With that said, I'm officially convinced that Givens is gone! Some dumb team will give him a 8-10M signing bonus and make 5-6M a year. Good lord! :(

It happens every year during the first week of free agency. Why are you so shocked?

It's even nuttier than usual with all the newfound cap money lying around. I'd actually like Bill and Scott to take a vacation the first week of FA just to ensure they don't get caught up in it :)

THEARCHIVES said:
With that said, I'm officially convinced that Givens is gone! Some dumb team will give him a 8-10M signing bonus and make 5-6M a year. Good lord! :(

Thats been the forgone conclusion here for some time. Especially after the CBA got extended. I was hoping it wouldn't have been done in time for FA. I think DG would turn that offer down this year. He's probably gonna sign for more.

I agree..it's a bit out of line...always happens, especially in those first days.. Will the Patriots sign anyone by Monday?? NOt-resign but sign a non-Patriots player?? I think they'll make quick moves in the start of the week.

THEARCHIVES said:
This is just ridiculous! I'm glad the Pats haven't been this stupid in recent years giving average players huge contracts. Brian Williams? Kevin Shaffer? Are you kidding me? Trever Pryce with his injury history and inconsistant play gets a 10M signing bonus. And then some random DT that signed with the Panthers gets 5yr, 27M!!! Who the F!#@ is this guy? Someone wrote this in a post earlier, now Seymour is going to want a lot of money after he sees how much this chump got. Thanks alot Carolina. IDIOTS! With that said, I'm officially convinced that Givens is gone! Some dumb team will give him a 8-10M signing bonus and make 5-6M a year. Good lord! :(

Kemoeatu was the starting DT for the Ravens the last few years. He's a damn good young DT. I was hoping the Pats would try for him, but glad they didn't at that price.

As for Givens being gone, I wouldn't be so sure. Not with Jurivicius only getting a 4 year 10 million deal.

BelichickFan said:
It's even nuttier than usual with all the newfound cap money lying around. I'd actually like Bill and Scott to take a vacation the first week of FA just to ensure they don't get caught up in it :)

It would have been nice if they were agressive in trying to get Jervisous. (I have no idea how to spell his name). Schefter is reporting that the Browns got him for 4 years and 10 million. That's below market value as far as I'm concerned.

THEARCHIVES said:

The Yankees and Red Sox have proven that virtually uncontrolled spending will be, well, virtually uncontrolled spending. In the NFL, there are at least a set of artificially constructed market forces that constrain completely crazy behavior. In the end, though, MLB and the NFL are both markets, driven by their own sets of rules, within which human beings will act either rationally or irrationally, as they do in every other market. The major difference is that, in the NFL, the penalties for truly dumb moves are far greater than in MLB in terms of restrictions those moves place on future activities.

The Pats are going about their business with due dilligence. Then with the blink of an eye they will have two or three guys signed, ala Colvin and Harrison a couple years back.

kurtinelson said:
It would have been nice if they were agressive in trying to get Jervisous. (I have no idea how to spell his name). Schefter is reporting that the Browns got him for 4 years and 10 million. That's below market value as far as I'm concerned.

You should take a look at Jurevicious' entire career. He's not very productive. Plus, he's coming off a career year which always raises a red flag with me. I would much rather have Givens and I think he will easily make more than Jurevicious when he signs.

patriotsrule said:
You should take a look at Jurevicious' entire career. He's not very productive. Plus, he's coming off a career year which always raises a red flag with me. I would much rather have Givens and I think he will easily make more than Jurevicious when he signs.

I'll take Brian Finneran.

THEARCHIVES said:

I know thats right can you believe what they are giving these guys its pitiful
some of these players have not shown me very much at all.

All these rediculous signings will only serve to drive up the price for Seymour even higher......

Opposite of last year?

Willie55 said:
The Pats are going about their business with due dilligence. Then with the blink of an eye they will have two or three guys signed, ala Colvin and Harrison a couple years back.
Or like one year back, when they missed on Derrick Mason and signed Starks, Chad Brown, and Beisel. But the bigger news, lest we forget, was keeping Mangini, Brady's extension, Vrabel, Jarvis Green, and Pioli. This year, it seems, they're losing important guys to FA (though it ain't over yet). Maybe they'll have better pickups from outside.

'tis only Day One.

Why is this thread closed by my popup blocker all the time? Very strange considering it's the guys 1st post. Anyone else having this problem.

I just saw on John Clayton's blog where he says teams opened the FA period with 479 million in total cap space. Suddenly the Pats 17 million doesn't seem like very much -:)

PatsSteve1 said:
I just saw on John Clayton's blog where he says teams opened the FA period with 479 million in total cap space. Suddenly the Pats 17 million doesn't seem like very much -:)

Well, 479 million for 32 clubs comes to an average of $14.96875 million per club. The Patriots at least have more than the average.

When will fans learn that the first numbers released are the ones by the agents who tend to puff them a bit???

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes