PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Player for player trades

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pujo

Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract
Reaction score
Can anyone think of some recent trades the Patriots were involved in where players were shipped both ways?

Can anyone think of some recent trades the Patriots were involved in where players were shipped both ways?

The scary thing is I actually did remember this. . . .

Back in 2006, the Patriots shipped Bethel Johnson to the Saints in exchange for Johnathan Sullivan.

Not saying that that's the last one, but it's certainly the most recent one I can remember.

Johnson for Sullivan is the only time Belichick has done this with the Pats

stumped me haha

Thanks. Was just thinking about how rare these are is in the NFL and couldn't think of a single time that the Patriots have done it. Definitely remember Johnson for Sullivan now.

Player for player trades rarely happen in the NFL except for 'reject' trades or 'reclamation projects'. For example both teams draft a player with high expectations but they don't work out. So the teams decide to swap them to see if a 'change of scenery' is what they need. It usually does not work out but it doesn't really hurt since the player was essentially doing nothing for the original drafting team anyways.

I remember the Patriots trading Bethel Johnson for Jonthan Sullivan in 2006. Bethel was drafted early in the 2nd round but just didn't work out. Sullivan was a 1st round pick for the Saints who also didn't meet expectations.
Scout.com: Patriots Trade Johnson To Saints for DL

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing