Replies:
Very sad news: RIP Joker
Replies:
OT: Bad news - "it" is back...
Replies:
2023/2024 Patriots Roster Transaction Thread
Replies:
Asking for your support

What was the play of the 2014 New England Patriots season?

• The Pass

Votes: 2 2.7%
  • The Pick

Votes: 70 95.9%
  • Other

Votes: 1 1.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

tombonneau

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
I think both plays should be obvious as to what they are. I've spent some time thinking about it, and while The Pick obviously won the team the Super Bowl and is a Top 10 All-Time Super Bowl Play, I have to go the Edelman-Amendola pass as the Play of the Year.

It was a play we had all been waiting for six years, called at the perfect time, executed to perfection, and even though it didn't win the game, I think every Pats fan knew at that moment the game was ours. When I think back to 2014, that is the play I will think of.

Can't go wrong with either, and would be curious to here any votes for Other explained

Last edited by a moderator:
The Edelman play was a great play, extraordinary. In any other year, the best. But the pick was one of the greatest plays of all time. Other receivers have thrown long passes. Suna has some longer and more difficult passes, for instance. But I know of no pick in history as magical as Butler's, just for its skills. Throw in the game, season, and legacy situation of the pick, it's one of the greatest plays in history.

The pick and it's not close. One was just a great play call that required no special skill to execute. The other was brilliantly executed, superbly coached, and even more important than the pass.

no doubt: the pick

i saw it i think 50 times :)

Edelman's my favorite player. I've been dying to see them run that play since he was drafted.

Nothing beats the pick.

Nothing, absolutely nothing compares to The Pick. The Pass (whichever one wants to choose), helped us get to a point but the Pick got us over the hump and in all big Games it is about making those plays. We were down 2 in the turnover battle and I was screaming all game to get one back. A fumble, an interception, I was hoarse from shouting for it every time Seattle had the ball.
I had to wait very late in game to get my wish but boy was it worth the wait.

The PICK.

The pick is the greatest play in team history.

Not even sure I'd put the Edelman pass before the Harmon pick. The pass was more memorable, no doubt. That game was awesome.

Butler all day though. Signature play in Pats history along with the 45-yarder through the snow

Hopefully, history will remember the pick as a great play by a defensive player, instead of a stupid play by the coach and offense....

It has to be the pick.

Imagine if the pick never happened. Imagine if we lost that game because of a miracle catch by a guy WHOSE NAME IS PRONOUNCED CURSE.

The pick saved this fanbase from eternal torment.

I think that both are fantastic and a very tough choice.. IMO the series of passes by #12, 13 out of 15, 2 TD's in the last two Pats O Drives against the leagues best defense exceed them all.

What Tom Brady did almost seems to be somehow undervalued..

Play of a lifetime. The pick. And screw ESPN but this better win play of the year at ESPY's.

pete-carroll-logic-meme.jpg

The Edelman-Amendola play was great and a big momentum play, but I think we would've scored on that drive either way. If Butler had not picked that ball, we'd all be ridiculously depressed right now about losing 3 straight Super Bowls on hail mary catches. That is the only play that could've been made to win that game, and he made it. And it was a ridiculous play.

Someone also cited it was by far the hugest swing in win % on a single play in SB or playoff history. Something like an 80+% swing. Bigger than Tyree, Welker drop, anything we've seen. It was literally a binary operation. If he does anything other than intercept that ball, we'll lose.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes