PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Play of the year so far...Rams TD vs the Seahags

Status
Not open for further replies.
It took guts, and was something that BB might well have done in similar circumstances. Shades of 2009.

It took guts, and was something that BB might well have done in similar circumstances. Shades of 2009.
I was waiting for someone to bring up Indianapolis. Hall of Infamy.

"chosen to punt and lose" That's a deceiving way to put it. It's not automatic they would've lost.

It was a stupid play and I stand by that.

You are 100% wrong. The defense just let up three straight long TD drives and all Seattle needed was a FG to win. Punt and you are almost certainly signing your death certificate.

Even had the play backfired and the Hawks got the ball deep in Ram territory, it would have led to a short TD with plenty of time to mount a comeback. Something they wouldn't have had after a punt.

It was a brilliant call.

You are 100% wrong. The defense just let up three straight long TD drives and all Seattle needed was a FG to win. Punt and you are almost certainly signing your death certificate.

Even had the play backfired and the Hawks got the ball deep in Ram territory, it would have led to a short TD with plenty of time to mount a comeback. Something they wouldn't have had after a punt.

It was a brilliant call.

That's terrible reasoning and way of thinking.

They almost had to do it. If Seattle got the ball back..game was over...ST louis knew this and went for it...loved the call.
I thought similarly. Unlike 2009 though, lining up to punt brought the element of surprise that probably helped make it work.

That was so fantastic. Best play I have ever seen on a punt return. Rams special team coach gets all the props in that play.

i agree. play of the year. never seen that successfully pulled off before

I had to watch the replay like 3 times before I could figure out where the ball went.

So it was a good play because they're 1-4 and suck?
Exactly! When you are bad you play other percentages so sometimes this leads to different decisions. Kudos to the Rams for knowing that.

Poker can actually be statistically modeled whereas football can not.

I disagree, although I do concede:
  • Modeling football is much more difficult and/or ...
  • ... much less precise.
  • Football has much more scope for trying to predict the opponent's choices, rather than relying on probabilistic min-maxing, although ...
  • ... poker has important scope for that too.

Last edited:
Fisher is known for this type of gutsy move.

A few years ago Tenn pulled off 3 onside kicks in a row to defeat Manning and the Colts.

St. Louis really needed that game, if not they may have been 1-5 in an extremely difficult division, this was a brilliant, innovative call by the Rams...

There will be variations of this throughout this season, and the the Pats will prepare for it.....

Attention to detail... prepare for every scenario.

That's terrible reasoning and way of thinking.
The issue is this: what happens if STL punts?

The average NFL punt nets about 45 yards. Taken from STL 18, that would put the ball at SEA 37. If SEA can get the ball about 27 yards back to STL 30, they stood an excellent shot of winning the game. Given that the Rams' defense seemed utterly unable to stop Seattle in the second half, it seemed quite likely they'd get at least that far. Given that, the fake punt doesn't seem like such a bad option.

It's definitely a dangerous call that could have led to disaster, but it was also not a bad call for the circumstances.

No, it's a good coach's way of thinking. Any play that puts your team in position to make plays to win the game is a decent move.

Remember the 2003 game vs. Denver?

Exactly. Taking the intentional safety, knowing your defense has the edge over the Broncos, and knowing that if you can pull the 3-and-out you'll get the ball back with a likely enough time to score, plus likely get decent field position. It was Coach playing the odds and making the call that needed to be made.

That game helped a great deal. I was in hospital after another round of surgery, and having some pain and morale issues. It most definitely lifted my spirits.

That was such an incredibly stupid call.

The punt return for TD, and the fake punt (*Given the circumstances) are 2 rare plays you'll be lucky to see again. Very lucky win IMO.

Given that the plays were the product of extensive scouting, the notion that it was about "luck" doesn't seem to hold water.

This was a great play, in prep, in timing, and in execution... especially since it made the difference in winning the game. Previous posters were right... at 1-4, the Rams NEEDED this win to stay in the race, both mathematically and psychologically. If they'd lost the game, this play would mean far less.

If you watch that upper part of the field, the player who fielded the punt has to change direction and race over there like a center fielder after a long fly ball. Amazing that he pulled it off. A classic.

Ok I will admit the only reason I disliked the play is cause I had money on the Seahawks

:mad:

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye