PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Play Action????

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPatBoy

On the Game Day Roster
Reaction score
This isn't a negative tear the Offense down thread...IUt is just a question...I guess I just don't understand why we don't run much play action at all anymore. We have one of the better running games in the league and yet we arely try to set up the pass with play action. I defenitely think our Offense is progressing and hopefully will be even further along when we have tough tests with Indy and Chicago. I was alittle dissapointed in Caldwell today...he defenitely missed some balls that he should have had. Hopefully th eprogression of the starting WR's will move to Gabriel and hopefully Jackson. I mean Gabriel should defenitely see more action then Caldwell. I would like to see A Gabriel, Jackson, and Brown unit when we go 3 WR sets and then bring in Gaffney or Caldwell on 4 WR sets. I Look the way Gabriel took that ball in the end zone...He didn't leave it to chance, he went and got it.

NEM? NEM? Is that you? Did you register as another person again? What did you do with SCPatBoy?

I've recorded every game and we aren't doing alot of playaction at all. Maybe there is a reason, but like I said usually the Playaction is a great tool for the QB and Offense when you have a solid Running game!

SCPatBoy said:
I've recorded every game and we aren't doing alot of playaction at all. Maybe there is a reason, but like I said usually the Playaction is a great tool for the QB and Offense when you have a solid Running game!

Saw BB on TV say it's only helpful on long passes. Also noticed some posts in another thread that addressed you concern, (the 112 QB rating thread).

sieglo said:
Playaction takes longer to develop so if your protection sucks you can't run it effectively. Get it?

jczxohn1 said:
Not to mention the running back is out of position to pick up a rusher.

I agree. Manning made a career out of it.

What do the Pats do when they are running the ball well?

Go empty backfield!

I just think they would be even more succesfull with the play action

I think BB or McDaniels or whoever is laying low on play-action for the time being. Obviously we didn't need it to move the ball effectively today. We're saving it for Indy I bet.

The couple of times I saw us use play action today, the result was Brady being met in the backfield by Schobel or Kelsay and sacked.

With the Bills not biting, Light having his usual difficulty with Schobel, and no Danny Graham, and a lead the entire game, I'm not surprised we kept it in our pocket.

Pat_Nasty said:
The couple of times I saw us use play action today, the result was Brady being met in the backfield by Schobel or Kelsay and sacked.

With the Bills not biting, Light having his usual difficulty with Schobel, and no Danny Graham, and a lead the entire game, I'm not surprised we kept it in our pocket.
Bless you, someone with eyes that see. :)

Hey, we could be like Buffalo, and run play-action down 22 points with less than 4 minutes remaining in the game. THAT was a convincing threat ... :rolleyes:

richpats said:
I think BB or McDaniels or whoever is laying low on play-action for the time being. Obviously we didn't need it to move the ball effectively today. We're saving it for Indy I bet.

Agreed. While maybe not saving it for a particular foe, I too was thinking it was sitting in the bag for later in the season. Brady sells the play as well as anybody and better than most, so it is curious it has been called very little so far. Even against teams that have not penetrated the backfield easily.

Last edited:
Oh, Geeeze....:bricks: :bricks:

NEM said:
You dont lay low and wait for games weeks down the road. You go after the one you are playing.

I too mentioned many times today the lack of play action. First down play action can accomplis a lot. red Zone play action can accomplish a lot.

Today, after we scored our 14 points, particularly in the 2nd quarter when our defense kept giving us back the ball, the offensive play calling went into another funk, and on three consecutives series, it was worse than pitiful.

We won the game, that was great. The wide receivers look like they will be one of the best , overall, WR corps in the league....but if McDaniels isnt going to use play action then better teams will eat us alive.

Today, it was obvious from the beginning that the Bills defensive line, and linebackers were doing a lot of stunting and considerable blitzing, and in many cases they either got to Brady, bumpe3d Brady, or forced Brady out of the pocket and into bad passes.

With that happening, McDaniels was asleep at the wheel again and even though we had a lead, one mistake and the Bills would have been back in the game and would have momentum.

Play action would have slowed that defense down even ONE second....but no, McDaniels still didnt utilize it. That needs to change as we move deeper into the season and our receivers are more in tune with Brady.

And, the inside pass routes were nice to see and they seemed to work at crucial times.

But the lack of any type of play action is really asinine.

I was listening to the last half of the Cardinal game on the radio today, (they really do suck) and lLeinart was getting rusheed like all hell..and Ron Wolfley, the radio color man, said that he couldnt understand why, up till that point, the new OC hadnt called even one play action call if for no reason than to buy an extra second for Leinart.

I cant understand it either. Makes absolutely no sense to me. But then, what the hell do I know.

They win the games, and I guess thats all that counts, right?

Still, we have been fortunate that the defense rose to the occasion again and kept giving McDaniels the ball in the second quarter and early third quarter but5 McDaniels did nothing with it.

One of these days we wont be so fortunate.

A great win, a great 5-1 start, but as we move into the schedule, we really need to be more diversified with our passing game, using more play action.

Other than that, who cant be happy with another win?

Obviously YOU. Same post after every Pats win, it didn't stop you the two years in a row that we went 17-2, I repeat TWO YEARS IN A ROW we went 17-2 Why should it stop you now. Yeah are passing game suffered with Brady having a 112 rating and we put up 28 points and the game was never in jepardy....but, but "one mistake and the bills would be back in the game with momentum..." Yeah but there were NO MISTAKES even by our "asinine" OC.

You really need to root for a team that doesn't win so much since you are only happy complaining about the play calling.....all our playcalling does is WIN games.

NEM said:
You dont lay low and wait for games weeks down the road. You go after the one you are playing.

You're right - Belichick should have emptied the playbook, pulled out all the stops for this one, because we really, really needed it out there today :rolleyes:

Teams like the Colts try to show their offensive prowess every week and look where it gets them in the end. Maybe they show a little too much out there and it gives a D that much more to prepare for in the playoffs.

I wouldn't call 28 points a lazy day at the office for our OC. 3-for-3 on TD's in the red zone, no FGs, fine by me. That bomb to Jackson was a great play, but alas, there was no play-action so it wasn't as great a play as it should have been :)

BTW, Buffalo ran some play-action today. What's to show for their genius OC's play-calling abilities?

NEM said:
EXCUSE ME!!!!! I did not initiate this thread, and many others are saying the same thing. Go ask the one who started this thread, get off my back.

The original poster speciffically stated that he was asking a "question" that he didn't understand "why" they weren't calling more play action...YOU how ever used the post to go off on your typical OC rant AFTER it was explained WHY we didn't use play action, but that didn't stop you. The original poster did not disparage our OC like you do EVERY WEEK. The only people that are wondering about play action this week are people who don't understand the reasons...which were explained and you ignored, so I'm just calling you on your post which is a rewording of every post you make after every game no matter the outcome. You hijack threads into your weekly OC rant no matter what the original post is or how it is worded

maybe because brady was hammered all day today??????????

personally i think they should have ran a couple more draws to slow up the pass rush and they should try max protect sometimes. the wr and te screens were good calls.

until they get more constency in the passing game i don't think you'll see much play action, but today was definitely in the positive direction and i think that's one reason you don't see many long balls

NEM said:
Bullsh!t. The lthread was about play alction and I answered it with my opinion. Get off your personal attack problems. You dont like what I say, dont read it. You have a serious personality problem. Try getting some help.
Pots making rude remarks to kettles. :rofl:

NEM said:
Bullsh!t. The lthread was about play alction and I answered it with my opinion. Get off your personal attack problems. You dont like what I say, dont read it. You have a serious personality problem. Try getting some help.

I have a personality problem?? Maybe you should get off of your personal attack problems with EVERY OC the Pats ever have. Your visions of grandeur IS an actual mental problem and it is you that needs help. I don't think you will find that too many posters on here think that I am the one with the "problem".

Maybe you should write another letter to Kraft how he is doing nothing to improve the team again????? No not that keep complaining about the play calling all the way to the SB...like always. The Pats just simply win with how they play the game, which I guess sucks for you since you never agree with the game plan but we WIN. Which makes the Pats players and coaching staff RIGHT since that is thier job to win games and SB's and no one has been more successful than the Pats the last 5+ years even with our crappy OC's (insert any name) You spend way to much of your life "hating" and spewing insults.

I'll say it again. Oh, Geeze!!:bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

Btw...Hey Rocks. Excellent comments as usual.

shirtsleeve said:
I'll say it again. Oh, Geeze!!:bricks: :bricks: :bricks: :bricks:

Btw...Hey Rocks. Excellent comments as usual.
ust a couple one liners, Pat_Nasty is the hero here.

NEM said:
Excuse me again.

Until you got here, this thread, which I did not start, was a lot of posts, pro and con about why they should, or should not, use more play action.

YOU, on the other hand, decided to make it personal. You need some help, really. I can recommend a good head doctor.

Would y9ou have said the same things if someone else had posted the EXACT same woprds but ujnder a different name? Probably not. You have a serious problem... Take care of it.

And one more thing and then I wont waste any more time with you because you have a serious anti NEM problem...and this is what it is...

There was a discussion in this thread about play action. I gave my opinion, others gave there's And that is what message boards like this are all about. If you dont like what I said, thats for you to come back and debate it, but instead you lash out on a personal attack...and I am usre everyone can siee that if they really look at this thread.

I am tired of bullsh!t loike yours and having people like you come out to criticize the messenger instead of the message. If you disagee, say so, and give your reasons lwhy, otherwisde, get the hell off my back, it is uncalled for and totally out of order. Get it?

I'm sure you can but your version of a "good head doctor" I'm afraid isn't very good because they obviously haven't helped you at all.."get it"?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back