Welcome to PatsFans.com

Plasma vs. LCD

Discussion in 'The PatsFans.com Pub' started by Canada's #1 Pats Fan, May 17, 2009.

1. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Canada's #1 Pats Fan Rookie

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

I need some advice on the pro's and con's of each tv. I currently have a 56' Samsung DLP tv. It is a 720p. Time for an upgrade. I can't decide between the 2. TV, movies and gaming will be the uses. I have always thought LCD but a friend of mine who is a manager at Best Buy is saying to go Plasma. The newer ones have a game mode and have virtually eliminated the 'burn in'. What do you all think?
  2. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

3. DSHoyt

DSHoyt Rookie

Ratings:
    +0 / 0 / -0

I have both, and prefer the LCD, much crisper picture, IMO
  4. mcgraw_wv

mcgraw_wv Rookie

Ratings:
    +7 / 0 / -0

LCD... I got a samsung series 8 about 4 months ago and the thing is frigging gorgeous...
  5. dalero

dalero PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +10 / 0 / -2

I had a Hitachi 42" 720 plasma for five years and loved it. I never saw the picture diminish over the years but it's always in the back of your mind (fall asleep and leave it on all night...oh crap I killed 8 hrs of the tv and didn't even watch it etc.) I was looking to get a little bigger screen for the size room i have so I gave the 42" to my son and purchased a 47" 1080 Hitachi LCD. The picture is stunning and no more kicking myself for leaving it on all night.
    Last edited: May 18, 2009
  6. Ian

Ian Administrator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +248 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I work in a consumer electronics/appliance store and sold televisions for almost 10-years (a surprise to many I'm sure). Definitely LCD :)

Ian
  7. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Have any of you seen any problems with the 'pixels' going out? My friend described it as the pixels go permanently black.
  8. 37Harrison

37Harrison Rookie

Ratings:
    +36 / 1 / -2

#37 Jersey

I don't think you should get either... if you can afford it go with Samsungs new LED TV.

If you can't afford it, then LCD although for movies I'd prefer plasma. Plasma has a "truer" color to it and deeper blacks. However, the screen on the plasma is very reflective so windows and doors are a bit problematic if they face the tv.

I just had this dilemma myself and went with Samsung's 52" LCD (don't get turned off by the red in the frame as you can't even see it when it is in your house) and LOVE IT! How I wish I could afford their LED TV though as that is friggin sweet!
  9. Ian

Ratings:
    +248 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I've seen it on Plasmas, but very rarely on LCD's. We have 30+ on the floor and I haven't seen any have a pixel go out in years, and these are on 12+ hours a day and most are on the floor at least 4-6 months. So I'd have to say that isn't something to worry about.
  10. Ian

Ratings:
    +248 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

I would agree. LED is amazing. You're probably looking at the future of LCD's because of just how good that technology is.
  11. Michael

Michael Moderator Staff Member PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +15 / 0 / -0

#12 Jersey

I've seen it on latops but, never a TV. On laptops you can usually massage teh pixel back.

Do you know of any drawbacks to the LED models? Besides cost. I haven't seen one yet. I may go tomorrow and check one out.
  12. Ian

Ratings:
    +248 / 2 / -1

#17 Jersey

None that I'm aware of. Quite a few are still being sold despite the cost, and no problems or service calls.
  13. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +520 / 6 / -2

I went through this about a year ago. In the end I bought a Samsung LN-5271f, which is now considered a Samsung A750. It's an LCD. LCD is really the better option in most cases. If you are in a window with limited light, or windows, then a plasma isn't a bad choice. Plasma's will give a sharper picture, and won't have the stutter, judder, TBE, or ghosting problems that are prevelant in most LCD's. However, Plasma's will not offer the same explosive contrast with colors, that LCD's provide. An LCD screen will explode, or "pop" as I learned to call it, whereas a Plasma will not. I opted for an LCD because I game a lot (PS3), and have my TV in a room with a lot of windows. A plasma will glare like a CRT TV, or worse. Glare is when you see the ceiling lights, or the window blinds on the screen of your TV, which makes viewing difficult. LCD's won't do that. Whatever you do, if you go LCD, make sure it's 120hz set. A 60hz set is old, and will ghost/TBE (Tripple Ball Effect) all day long. No one wants to see 3 footballs flying across the TV on every Tom Brady pass.

The choice between a plasma or LCD is first determined by the conditions, or setting the TV will be set in. Lots of light = no go on a plasma. If glare is not an issue, then it comes down to personal preference. This is a website I used to figure out what to buy, and learn the different aspects of all the TV's, and TV types. It's terrific forum/website with lots of knowledgable, and helpful people. I recommend it to everyone.

AVS Forum

BTW, the if budget is not an issue, then go with the newer LED TV's. They are amazing as others have said. The one thing about the LED's though, is that their presence into the market, has truly slashed the prices of the higher end 120hz LCD sets. I've seen 52" Samsung A650/750's for just under $2k in Florida, when I was there last week.

Good luck!
  14. Canada's #1 Pats Fan

Ratings:
    +1 / 0 / -0

Thank you for all of your info. The tv will be in a basement with only one window, so I don't think light will be an issue.
  15. JoeSixPat

JoeSixPat Rookie

Ratings:
    +103 / 2 / -3

I did a side by side comparison with an LCD and Plasma about 6 months ago.

For my price range ($500 for a 32") it wasn't even close. The Plasma blew away the LCD.

Sure I know that the nature of the Plasma is that glare could be an issue - but glare's not an issue for me. When watching sports I definately noticed that the LCD in my price range seemed to be having a difficult time "keeping up" with the action... not as crisp.

The color was much much more vibrant in the Plasma as well - and the fact that the plasma was $50 cheaper didn't hurt either.

Burn has never been an issue, since I don't play video games. The only time I've detected burn is when initially turning on the TV, in the initial black screen, I've seen a menu screen from the previous use. But that doesn't affect the picture, and if it ever did, most plasmas have a program of "white noise" that will erase any actual burn.

If you're into video games, it's a given, go for an LCD. If you're in a higher price range willing to spend more on a higher end LCD I'd agree with everyone here too.

But if you're in my price range, and are looking for the cheapest best looking picture, just for movies and sports, I found that the Plasma was much better than LCD on a side by side comparison.
  16. BradyFTW!

BradyFTW! PatsFans.com Supporter PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +807 / 12 / -5

#12 Jersey

Seconded. In general, I'd definitely get an LCD, and Samsung makes a damn good one.