Welcome to PatsFans.com

Plan Would Lift Saudi Oil Output

Discussion in 'Political Discussion' started by otis p. driftwood, Jun 14, 2008.

1. otis p. driftwood

otis p. driftwood Experienced Starter w/First Big Contract

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

http://biz.yahoo.com/nytimes/080614/1194784977541.html?.v=3

I wonder if it will have any effect.

2. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

From the same article. If it's not okay to post more than 4 paragraphs total feel free to edit. I was mostly interested in the increase amounting to 1 percent of global consumption...is that per day, week, month, year? Forever?

3. MrBigglesWorth

MrBigglesWorth Veteran Starter w/Big Long Term Deal

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

4. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

You can't simply blame America, in all honesty. Part of the current problem is related to the ever growing, ever voracious appetite of China and India.

China is bringing something like 3 new coal fired electric plants on line a day...and they'll buy pretty much all the crude produced. So we're bidding against other nations for a supply now, which didn't used to be the case to this extent.

5. BelichickFan

BelichickFan B.O. = Fugazi PatsFans.com Supporter

Ratings:
    +605 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

The main reason is the country is so big. We have vast areas of nothing to get across to go from here to there.

6. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

you are correct. we could benefit from a hi speed train

you are correct. too big of a demand world wide and the world has caught up to the US. We need smaller vehicles and need to be able to plug them in for energy/recharging.

7. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Okay, but here's a problem with the high speed train--you're asking people to spend longer on a train than they can on a plane, and the train wouldn't work as a commuter.

The other problem is that you're talking about plugging in the car--where is the electricity coming from? Most is generated by coal fired burners, and coal is fairly dirty.

So...do we go nuclear?

8. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

between check in time at the airport(usually 2 hrs in advance of flight), checking in baggage, time on the tarmac, time waiting for a window to land, and layovers i think train travel could equal out. obviously you will have some of those problems with trains too.

go with coal because it's cheaper. there could soon be the day we do need to go nuclear. maybe it's now. if they can make a nuclear sub i think they could do another power plant.

9. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

That's a different discussion than "greedy and wasteful" IMO. I agree we aren't well set up for many things - including having trucks driving across the country instead of trains. "Greedy and wasteful" read to me as individuals and I don't really agree with that.

10. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

I still think Americans are greedy and wasteful and I guess we've been raised that way. Some can see beyond it and are frugal but most waste.

All I have to do is look at how much food is wasted in a high school caf. Or nitwits who water their lawn in the middle of the day when half evaporates and they have no qualms about wasting water. or cranking their AC so it's 60 degress in a 2500 sq ft house. or better yet they heat their house, it gets too hot so they open the windows. colleges are the biggest offenders with students wasting heat, etc. and i love the attitude amongst people that they won't cut back, they will keep on consuming despite prices rising.

most people don't get it that we're in this together and if everyone wastes then we're screwed but if each person cut back things would be ok.

11. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Everyone has a different opinion of waste. I'm going to my parents' on July 4 - it's a 4 hour drive each way. I could take the Greyhound but I'm not. Is that waste ?

"if each person cut back" - I don't have much to cut back. I have no intention to consider "cutting back" when I'm not extravagant to begin with. People who are concerned abut MMGW (oil related, not the exact point of this thread) can cut back if they like - after all, polls say most people think it's a problem; I don't so I have no desire to participate. Just like people shouldn't be forced to go to church just because "most" believe in God.

12. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

Yeah...if my carbon footprint got much smaller...we're talking cinderella shoes here.

When he talks of cutting back, he must mean AlGore, using more electricity than half of Nashville, and oh, by the way, owning stock in companies that produce corn ethanol...and oh, by the way, casting the tie breaking vote way back when he was VP to force the ethanol to be used...so he and his friends who owned the funds could make money....

Hmm.

Did I just say that?

13. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

such will be the demise of the great old Uinted States with that kind of attitude. for so long the US was able to consume and consume because good and resources were readily available and now that other countries are competing for them they are not readily available. so Rome can't be as luxurious as it once was.

the myth about alternative sources should not be bought into.

- the transition will take a period of years. who can afford to buy a new vehicle or vehicles just like that?

- just when the price for gas is at a breaking point I am hypothesizing that a new source of oil is miraculously found. in all honesty i think it's part of the master plan. keep raking in the tax dollars for oil and use up the foreign sources and when the US consumes the rest of the world we'll be one of the remaining powers with access to readily available oil(like Anwar). why would the gov't want us off of oil other than a full out depression with the economy?

14. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

ethanol is a joke. when i say cutting back. have you lowered your thermostat in the winter or is it at 70 even when you are at work? do you have a timed thermostat? do you combine trips to run errands? have you cut back on eating out or entertainment? do you ahve a garden if you live in the burbs? how much food do you throw out from you daily meals?

if you have kudos. i commend you

15. otis p. driftwood

Ratings:
    +4 / 0 / -0

There's a post here, Mr B...made by me...and I think it's in the Peak Oil is a Scam thread--but it's about a man who worked as a Chaplin in the oil fields in Alaska, and he says (and he's been researching it for years, I wish I could remember his name) that the oil companies and the government are essentially in collusion to block as much oil (especially US oil) as possible for profit.

16. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

Without a doubt. I believe it. When I'm in my final resting place the curtain of lies will be opened to show the truth. We're just getting drained of our work and tax dollars like worker ants and in the end the elite control business giving us our comforts so we still produce.

17. BelichickFan

Ratings:
    +605 / 17 / -16

#24 Jersey

Yeah, whatever.
    I live in the desert - I have no A/C but I have a swamp cooler which is a relatively low electricity user - way less than A/C but it has to be on all day (based on the thermostat), I can't turn it off when at work or it would never cool the house down again.

Don't eat out much. Don't go to the movies. Don't go out of town, all driving is within 5 miles. I have no grass, use no water other than showers, washing and drinking. We make whatever food we plan to eat. Sometimes we throw away leftovers from the kids, but it's a tiny amount. All lights are turned out unless there's a person in the room. All our vehicles are from the 2000s so they all get good mileage. Stay at work through lunch, the car doesn't leave the parking lot.

With all due respect, you have some gall to talk about my attitude. What do you want me to cut back ? Breathing ???

18. MrBigglesWorth

Ratings:
    +16 / 0 / -0

we need more americans like you. maybe it's an east coast thing or maybe generational, but i see parents drive kids to school because they don't want to take the bus meanwhile the bus is half full and diesel is out of control. i see relatives crank their ac in large houses to very cold(colder than what it would be in the winter), people still going on many vacations, having two houses.

19. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +665 / 7 / -2

Consumption in this country has fallen. It's with the rest of the world that it's risen.

20. Real World

Real World Moderator Staff Member

Ratings:
    +665 / 7 / -2

Have you been talking to Obama or something?