PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh remembers...it was God's fault and the Patriots cheated

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well they are talking about 2004.

Ah, the 2004 Stoolers; 15-1, home field, Joey Porter ranting and raving about how the Patriots would "never, ever, ever, ever, ever get to OUR level", this from a brain dead fleabrain with an IQ two above plant life.

What level you moron?

The Patriots absolutely waxed that Steeler team.

That 2004 Patriots team is my all time favorite team and THAT win is my all time favorite win.

To go to their house not once, but twice this decade for a shot at the Super Bowl and beat them both times is just effin beautiful.

The real issue as someone else so beautifully stated in this thread for Steeler fans is they've got two Super Bowl titles this decade, but are an afterthought, playing second fiddle to the Patriots, the team of the decade. They are this decades version of the Redskins of the 80's, who played second fiddle to the 49er's.

We own them in the playoffs.

And they know it.

I'm more worried about the Colts this year than them.

I just re-read the comments and I'll need to take my earlier comment back. I had a feeling it would just be a matter of time before the "Pats won only because they cheated" excuses would start.

I also had to shake my head at the "Bruschi was on roids" comments. How many thousands of dollars worth of HGH did the Steelers team doctor buy recently? 60? :rolleyes:

It was good to see some Pittsburgh fans bring up their team's struggle against the Jets in the divisional game that year. The Jets played at San Diego the week before, then came back east to face a rested Steelers team. Instead of being a comfortable win for Pittsburgh, they had to survive 2 missed FGs by the Jets inside of the final 2 minutes of regulation. They won in OT, but it was not a good showing by a team that had had a great regular season.

If the Patriots pulled off a shaky win like that and were then facing a better team (better than the previous week's opponent) next week, I'd be concerned about their chances.

It's funny how the "Cheaters!" crowd completely ignores that Jets game. If the Steelers were so good that year, how come the Jets gave them such a tough game? Were they cheating too?

I also had to shake my head at the "Bruschi was on roids" comments. How many thousands of dollars worth of HGH did the Steelers team doctor buy recently? 60? :rolleyes:

I think it was 150,000.

But yeah, I generally agree with everything Double G said regarding the Steelers and their fans. I have a newfound appreciation for Colts fans, go figure.

And don't get me started about how they were gifted SB XL. And I have the video to prove it.

Yeah....that was without a doubt the worst officiating I've ever seen in a Super Bowl....or maybe any game. Just terrible.

Also, I love the comment someone made on that site about Belichick going up to Bruschi before the '04 AFC Championship and asking him "will you do whatever it takes to win?"

Pathetic.

Rather Funny.

I was born in 1973, so the 72 loss doesn't effect me from a personal stand point, plus, losing to the Miami Dolphins in the early 70s doesn't seem like an upset to me. Dolphins were pretty freaking good back then.

#1 Losing to the Cowboys in that Super Bowl. That is my worst loss still. You have to look at the details of that loss, how the Steelers after kicking a FG, then Kicked an Onside kick, got the ball, drove down, scored a TD and then, shut down Dallas with a 3 and out and got the ball right back again to be in the game with a chance to take the lead and Neil Scumbagggg throws his Second Pick to the Same Mother Effing Guy. Yeah, that's my worse loss.

The 2001 loss to the Patriots hurt more than the 2004 loss. Yes the Steelers were 15-1 but Ben was a Rookie QB, Bettis Fumbled on a 4th down and inches early in that game and from that point, the Pats pretty much owned the Steelers. Anytime the Steelers were making a move to get back into it, the Pats made a play to shut them down. 2001 was Special Teams, and that makes me Sick to my stomach. Personally, the Playoff game in the Rain where Curtis Martin ran for what seemed like 500 yards was one of the most painful I ever watched because I was a Martin fan From PITT but to watch him kill us, hurt like fire.

You guys should be able to break out the real fans from the "cheaters" fans. I don't think, in any of my posts on this Site or the Steelers Site (Hey Patriot) that I post on, that I ever once indicated in anyway that stealing signs had anything to do with either of those playoff losses, 2001 or 2004.

Cowher, was a Classic Marty S coaching tree type Coach. Get super conservative in the playoffs and just try to hold on to a lead. The Steelers are like 111-1-1 (atlanta tie game Plax caught a hail mary at the 1 yard line as time expired in OT) since Cowher when they have an 11 point lead. Problem with that is if you coach that way from the opening kick off in the Playoffs most likely, you're going to chocke in Home AFC Title Games often. As Cowher Did. Choke Coaching. He was great at it.

As for the "Handed a game in the SB" against the Seahawks, that's about the same as a Steelers fan saying the Pats cheated. The Replay showed Ben Scored. The Guy in the Endzone did in fact Push Off, the holding call happened on 1st down and on 2nd Hasslebeck throws an interception. Those are things that a team either recovers from or they don't. But the NFL Leading rusher was Stomped that game and that dumb TE for the Seahawks dropped 7 passes. Seattle Did Not Deserve to Win that Game. They played like crap.

AFC Title game at home to the Chargers. That game made me Sick. The Chargers that year had One Freaking player on their roster worth a damn, Junior. Otherwise, they weren't that good. And for them to come into Pittsburgh and force the Steelers into a 4th down play inside the 5 or something to score a TD to win was just pathetic by the Steelers and their Coaching staff. The game was 13-3 at one point and the Chargers were able to score 14 points in the 2nd half with a huge pass play very late, like 5 minutes left, then we drive all the way down and can't finish. Made me sick. I still hate Neil Scummmbagggg.

See, 13-3 up 10, Cowher got Conservative and it cost him the game. Epic Fail.

Last edited:
The Chargers that year had One Freaking player on their roster worth a damn, Junior.

They sure proved it two weeks later. ;)

As for the 2004 Steelers, the last decade or so has provided numerous examples of teams that dominate the regular season only to get taken to school in the playoffs. I think Ben being a rookie had a lot to do with that. As we've all seen, the playoffs is a whole new season and at a whole different level. A lot of times (though certainly not ALL the time) having playoff experience can help decide things in your favor. For example, take Super Bowl XXXI - the Packers by that time had been in the playoffs for four straight years or more, while the Pats had only a handful of guys who had been to the playoffs, and for most of them it was the one-and-done against the Browns (coached by one Bill Belichick) two years earlier.

Last edited:
As for the "Handed a game in the SB" against the Seahawks, that's about the same as a Steelers fan saying the Pats cheated. The Replay showed Ben Scored. The Guy in the Endzone did in fact Push Off, the holding call happened on 1st down and on 2nd Hasslebeck throws an interception. Those are things that a team either recovers from or they don't. But the NFL Leading rusher was Stomped that game and that dumb TE for the Seahawks dropped 7 passes. Seattle Did Not Deserve to Win that Game. They played like crap.

I can see from your perspective how you can rationalize they won fair and square. But, there was a lot more shenanigans in that game than just the Ben TD. Besides some very questionable calls there were some non-calls. I had a whole video showing pointing out all of it on YouTube but, the NFL made them take it down. Too damming I guess since many fan videos with footage from that game are still there. But, obviously I had no horse in the race if you want to believe they legitimately won that game go right ahead.

I've never really understood that talk either. I thought the calls slanted Pittsburgh's way, but it definitely wasn't egregious enough to make me care all that much. I think it goes back to the fact that nobody plays the 'victimized sports fan' role quite like Seattle.

I can see from your perspective how you can rationalize they won fair and square. But, there was a lot more shenanigans in that game than just the Ben TD. Besides some very questionable calls there were some non-calls. I had a whole video showing pointing out all of it on YouTube but, the NFL made them take it down. Too damming I guess since many fan videos with footage from that game are still there. But, obviously I had no horse in the race if you want to believe they legitimately won that game go right ahead.

I do, as much as the Rams biatch and moan about the Patriots Holding their Receivers and Running backs I still consider the Patriots Victory over the Rams very Legit.

Seattle Missed 2 field goals, and gave up the longest run in Super Bowl history to start the 2nd half. They also fell for a ticky tack trick play and gave up a huge play to Hines Ward when Ben was running around like a headless chicken and tossed up a lame duck pass that Ward didn't even jump up to catch, or did but actually caught it in his gut.

Seattle played a very Poor Game.

I do, as much as the Rams biatch and moan about the Patriots Holding their Receivers and Running backs I still consider the Patriots Victory over the Rams very Legit.

Seattle Missed 2 field goals, and gave up the longest run in Super Bowl history to start the 2nd half. They also fell for a ticky tack trick play and gave up a huge play to Hines Ward when Ben was running around like a headless chicken and tossed up a lame duck pass that Ward didn't even jump up to catch, or did but actually caught it in his gut.

Seattle played a very Poor Game.

Dino, I love your stuff, but come on. Seattle couldn't have been robbed any more clearly if every official and every Steelers player had been carrying a gun.

Last edited:
Dino, I love your stuff, but come on. Seattle couldn't have been robbed any more clearly if every official and every Steelers player had been carrying a gun.

The way I see it, the Chargers last year were Robbed of a victory against Denver. One single call at the end decided the game. Fumble Non Fumble.

The Penalty in the Endzone on the TD that was ruled a Offensive Pass Interference happened on 1st down. A Good Team over comes that. Instead they gagged and settled for a FG.

The Holding play that would have put the ball on the Steelers 1, which by the way doesn't mean the Seahawks score, unless by the same argument you just Give that Ben would have scored on a QB sneak from the 1inch line on 4th had his call TD been called back, happened on 1st down. They had time to over come that call. That's what Good Teams, Teams that Win Big Games do.

My point is, Both teams played a pretty ugly game. But the Steelers made the bigger plays when they had to. 75 Yard TD run, Trick Play Reverse Pass to a Wide Open Guy, Seahawks missed 2 Field Goals, couldn't run the ball at all when it mattered, had a guy drop 7 passes.

Did calls come a good times for the Steelers, sure, but Does that mean Seattle got Robbed? I don't think so. The Better team finds a way to over come that call.

case in point This year, 3rd and forever, the Steelers from their Own Endzone get called for a holding in the endzone after they convert the play that probably should have won the game. Instead, they give up 2 points and then give up the ball. Give up a huge pass play and are then losing the game. Do they blame the refs and hang their heads and manage the clock at the end of the game like a PeeWee Coach who's watch as stopped the way Holgrem did? No, they went out and did what they had to do to win the Game.

Seattle didn't do what they needed to do to win. Which was Run the Ball, Manage the Clock, keep Willie Parker bottled up, Stop Hines, Make Special Teams Plays and stop Bettis when the Steelers were killing the clock.

Last edited:
For the Record, I'm STILL MAD at Neil O for throwing not 1, but TWO interceptions to the same freaking guy!!!

Seattle didn't do what they needed to do to win. Which was Run the Ball, Manage the Clock, keep Willie Parker bottled up, Stop Hines, Make Special Teams Plays and stop Bettis when the Steelers were killing the clock.

This is true of every team that ever loses a game, and it's what the fans of the winning team say pretty much every time. It doesn't mean it's always, or even usually, the correct response.

In any game you can say "but they had other opportunities". However, that's not how sports are played. There are ebbs and flows, and single plays can completely change a game. Hell, look at last season's Patriots/Pittsburgh game. If Moss hangs on to the ball, it's 14-3 Patriots, and the Steelers probably have to change the game plan. Instead, Moss drops the ball, the game stays within a touchdown, and the entire game is changed from that point forward.

This is true of every team that ever loses a game, and it's what the fans of the winning team say pretty much every time. It doesn't mean it's always, or even usually, the correct response.

In any game you can say "but they had other opportunities". However, that's not how sports are played. There are ebbs and flows, and single plays can completely change a game. Hell, look at last season's Patriots/Pittsburgh game. If Moss hangs on to the ball, it's 14-3 Patriots, and the Steelers probably have to change the game plan. Instead, Moss drops the ball, the game stays within a touchdown, and the entire game is changed from that point forward.

Yep, and the Steelers were no better in that game. Especially in clock management. At one point in the 4th Ben should have been flagged for delay of game but, he of course wasn't and they made the first down after that on short yardage.

Attachments

• OOPS.jpg
    OOPS.jpg
    20.8 KB · Views: 106
Last edited:
I had no doubt we were going to win in 2004, the thing that surprised me was giving up as many points as we did in that game because after the Colts game I thought we were going to steamroll right to the title. One thing I feel is lacking from the titles is a sure fire ass kicking in the Superbowl. We should have given one to the Panthers but Brady threw that bad interception in the end zone, and I still feel we should have beaten the Eagles by more than we did.

I agree...but I expected the Pats to drop the hammer (finally) vs. NYG. Forget about losing the game, I was worried they'd keep it too close.
Maybe this is the year we see them win in a complete SB beatdown.

I'm gonna say that Steelers fans (from my experience) are some of the best to watch a game with, they don't whine so much about cheating (probably because they know their dynasty was fueled by juice of the anabolic variety) its more of a mutual respect for a worthy foe. As opposed to all Bills, Jets, Dolphins, and Colts fans of the world.

Those were two of my favorite playoff moments for this team, and being a long time Pats fan, we hadn't had too many up to the point when the first game happened, so I have fond memories of beating Pittsburgh...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back