PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh & Cassel - 30/11/08

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right, that 25-5 record of ours going back to last year doesn't make up for the fact that jag QBs get some stats against us while we are beating them. We should be ashamed.

If you haven't figured this out yet, please start paying attention.
ONE OF THE TENANTS OF BBS DEFENSIVE PHILOSOPHY IS TAKING AWAY WHAT A TEAM DOES BEST. BY DEFINITION 'JAG' QBS WILL NOT BE FOCUSED ON BECAUSE WE WANT THE BALL IN THEIR HANDS. THEY WILL PUT UP BETTER STATS AGAINST US, BECAUSE WE WANT THE GAME TO REVOLVE AROUND THEM. AND ULTIMATELY THEY CAN NEVER SUSTAIN IT FOR 4 QUARTERS TO BEAT US.
Or would you like to remind me of the last JAG QB that beat the Patriots?
I think we have to go back to 06?05?

Hmmm, maybe you should change your definition of what a HOFer looks like, because the last time I looked LOSING wasnt a big plus.

I understand what you're saying, although yelling it isn't necessary. By all accounts Eli Manning wasn't even a top 10 qb last year, and somehow while progressively getting better, he outdueled our HOF qb when it counted.

With our prolific, record setting offense last year, we had Baltimore and Philly, with their backup QBs give us fits. Oh, and Baltimore not only ran all over us last year, their backup qb also looked pretty good. Yes, we won, but the Ravens were also the team that kept the Doofins out of the record books last year, so we should have won.

Call it whatever you'd like, but our defense has been weak in pass defense.
Giants won the SB with an insane pass rush that protected what was supposed to be a weak secondary.
The Colts won before that with a speedy pass rush, and some timely defense.
The Steelers before them.

So you're saying BB's gameplan last Sunday was to allow Pennington to throw all over us, because he knew we could 'hold' them to 28 points?
Their wildcat offensive explosion was higher, but c'mon... 28 points? The difference was Cassel and the O hung with them.
Was it BB's gameplan to put the ball in Favre's hands to the tune of a 1st half blowout against the Jests, because he knew we could come back on them?

BB's game planning based on the fact that we don't have a good pass rush, we are depleted with injuries, and are lacking talent in the secondary.

Without question, you'll be popular here, then.

So let me ask you this: how would YOU game-plan against the Steelers? We're expecting to see a spread attack. Our Blitz pick-up and Cassel's footwork + sudden feel for pressure makes this the logical choice, at least until the Steelers show they can shut it down.

Defensively, I think our front three are going to have to attack like maniacs and hopefully we'll see some sacks. Hanging back to help the secondary is feeling like a waste of talent. We're pretty good at shutting the run down, like your guys, so I think this will very much be an air-ball contest, not unlike last night's Saints/Packers game. It may come down to the best decision-making at QB. And from what your saying, that could bode well for us.

First off, if Matt Light is suspended for duking it out against Miami, the Patriots' job gets a whole lot harder.

Having said that, I'd put Cassell in a spread-set shotgun all day, similar to what they used against the Dolphins this week, and design plays for him to move up into an umbrella pocket as Pittsburgh's devastating edge rushers, Harrison and Woodley, come pouring around the side.

McDaniels has been employing a similar scheme with increasing effectiveness in recent weeks as Cassell has become more comfortable, culminating in this week's drubbing of Miami -- one of the most impressive offensive performances I've seen this year.

Forget the run. Teams try to run on Pittsburgh to be "balanced," whatever the f*ck that means, and wind up waist deep in dirt. You don't beat the Steelers by running the football, you beat the Steelers by throwing it.

There's a reason the Steelers are second in the league in sacks. Pittsburgh's edge rushers are (arguably) the best in the league. And I've seen LeBeau recently adapt to teams beefing up the flanks of their O-line by bringing Polamalu on strong and weak side blitzes, and rushing Lawrence Timmons as a down lineman. To havoc-wreaking effect.

I doubt you'll see a repeat of last year, with the Steelers blindly hurling blitzers against NE's line like bugs smashing into a windshield.

They'll be busy all day, but New England's tackles (assuming Light plays) are good enough to have a chance at stringing the Steelers OLBs to the outside as Cassell moves up into the pocket. The middle of the Patriots OL has to win man-to-man match ups in order to keep Cassell vertical.

The spread-set will force Pittsburgh to hold back on its pass rush, because unlike the vaunted secondaries of old that had Rod Woodson, Carnell Lake, Willie Williams -- guys you could leave out on an island on a jailbreak blitz -- this Steelers secondary is a liability against good passing teams.

On defense, the Patriots have big problems. It didn't think it could get any worse for the Pats D, then I read that Adalius Thomas breaks his arm.

Fortunately for New England, the Steelers offense, while being remarkably talented, is erratic. The play-calling under Bruce Arians is square-wheeled and dumb, the unit gives up tons of drive-killing sacks, commits penalties and Ben Roethlisberger is playing with a hurt throwing shoulder.

Against Washington, you saw what the Steelers O is capable of with a healthy, quick-release QB like Byron Leftwich behind the wheel.

If Leftwich started against New England and lasted the whole game, I'd give the Patriots a one in five chance to win on Sunday. Remember, I'm the guy who picked my team to lose last year against you guys.

Though good, I don't think Mewelde Moore or Gary Russell are the caliber of running back that New England's run defense shouldn't be able to stop if it plays efficiently. Moore and Russell can run well, but if they rack up yards on the ground against the Pats D, it will be because the Pats D let them.

That said, New England needs to try and get around Pittsburgh's o-tackles and force Ben to move up into the pocket, where he's less comfortable. The Patriots D has to jam Hines Ward at the line with the double team, put someone on Heath Miller like stink on sh*t and make the Steelers beat them by throwing to inconsistent ding-dongs like Santonio Holmes, Nate Washington, and Limas Sweed.

Matt Spaeth is coming on somewhat for Pittsburgh at TE across from Miller, so if the Patriots leave him unattended, while Spaeth's not amazing like Heath Miller is, he can catch the football and he runs good routes.

Above all, New England's DBs need to remember that Ben cannot throw the long ball because of his shoulder, but given half a chance he can't resist trying.

Perhaps play loose on a Yo-man Johnson receiver like Sweed or Washington, tempt Ben to throw long and have a safety back for support. That's how Ben throws a lion's share of his total INTs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots