PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pittsburgh avoided a playoff rematch with New England

Status
Not open for further replies.

Box_O_Rocks

PatsFans.com Supporter
PatsFans.com Supporter
Reaction score
http://www.tribune-democrat.com/sports/local_story_001232743.html?keyword=topstory

The Steelers (11-5) will play AFC North champion Cincinnati, a 37-3 loser to Kansas City, at 4:30 p.m. Sunday in a wild-card game. Pittsburgh won at Cincinnati 27-13 on Oct. 23, but effectively lost the division title with a 38-31 loss to the Bengals in Pittsburgh on Dec. 4.

“We play them twice a year and we know them,†Hines Ward said. “We’ll take our chances going to Cincinnati. ... It’s not going to be easy, but we’re more comfortable with them.â€

Pittsburgh avoided a playoff rematch with New England when the Patriots lost 28-26 to Miami.
The Steelers lost AFC championship games at home to the Patriots last season and during the 2001 season.

“It didn’t make any difference to me who we play,†safety Troy Polamalu said. “We have unfinished business with both of them.€

“It didn’t make any difference to me who we play,†safety Troy Polamalu said. “We have unfinished business with both of them.â€

I like Troy's attitude ... on and off the field.

He's a big reason why i confidently expect the Steelers to dispatch both Cinci and Indy ... before they meet their doom up north o' Providence.

If any team was wanting to avoid playing another in the AFC Wild Card round, it was Pitts playing the Pats, not the other way around.

i think the steelers will win that game, but lose against indy. and i hope they do, cuz id rather see the pats go to denver 1st, then go to indy without the colts having a week off.

Steelers could do two favors

PatsFan24 said:
i think the steelers will win that game, but lose against indy. and i hope they do, cuz id rather see the pats go to denver 1st, then go to indy without the colts having a week off.

Thier first help would be getting the Bengals paasing offense out of the playoffs.

The second would be playing the Colts. Win or lose we win. I'd like to face the finesse Colts a week after getting beat up by the Steelers!
And if the Steelers win, a home game in Foxboro for the Superbowl prize!!

Denver is the only team that really scares me in these series of games, they have a massive running attack with a forminable defense. I think we can beat them, but it will be at least as physical as Pittsburgh.

flutie2phelan said:
“It didn’t make any difference to me who we play,†safety Troy Polamalu said. “We have unfinished business with both of them.â€

I like Troy's attitude ... on and off the field.

He's a big reason why i confidently expect the Steelers to dispatch both Cinci and Indy ... before they meet their doom up north o' Providence.

Ya, but he still needs a hair cut.

Box_O_Rocks said:
That made it sound like we did not want to play the Patriots. On the contrary. Most people in Pittsburgh wanted to play the Patriots in the first round rather then playing Cincy. We are the healthiest we have been all year and we want to play the champs first. We feel that this team is stronger then the team we took to the AFC Champ game last year and maybe the champs would under estimate us... Good luck to you in the playoffs...hope we meet down the road!

Last edited:
Steeleagle said:
That made it sound like we did not want to play the Patriots. On the contrary. Most people in Pittsburgh wanted to play the Patriots

Most people in Pitt dont play against the Pats so it really doesnt mean anything how they feel...its how the players feel thats important...;)

Yes, but Pitt didn't throw a game to avoid the matchup now did they.

ClosingTime said:
That's because the Steelers usually demolish the Patriots in the playoffs. Oh, wait.

I love it when one team is dominated year after year in the playoffs by another team.

ClosingTime said:

Nice try, Time.

The Steelers were fighting for their playoff lives yesterday at home AGAINST THE LIONS!!!!!!

The Patriots were giggling, dropkicking and resting their starters because they already were in.

Maybe this comes as news to you.

Believe me, the Steelers are the team the Pats want in the AFCC, not Denver, Cinci or Indy. BB knows the Steelers and, as Muhammad Ali used to say "Beats Cowher like he was his daddy".

Last edited:
But, alas, your team gave up the 3rd seed on purpose in order to get the Jags.

I repeat, "....like his daddy."

In the meantime, please beat Cinci and Indy. We'd prefer not to face THEM. If you read this board or the Boston papers you would see everyone jonesing for a home AFCC against the ******ed chin.

Don't you dare lose to Cinci or Indy. Most every Pats fan is a big Steelers fan for the next two weeks.

Last edited:
shmessy said:
Don't you dare lose to Cinci or Indy.

They will...once you shut down the old Bus that puts it back in Big Bens hands...something they avoid doing(another 15 passing attempt game?) as it usually ends in a loss.

ClosingTime said:

Of course not. They didn't play well enough during the course of the year to have that option.

Yeah, too bad they didn't play in a JV division

Closingtime, the best team will represent the AFC in the Super Bowl. If the Steelers are that team, they will be in Detroit, right? So you should concern yourself with who the Steelers play and not how the other teams approach it. We are not 100% healthy, so we took 1 game to give the starters a little extra time to get ready for the real season. I respect Pitt, but if we face them in the AFCC Game, I have no reason to believe we won't beat them....as usual. If you didn't HAVE to win yesterday, Ben would not have played. If you lost, would you have considered that "throwing the game" or resting your players for the real season? Just beat Cincy please.

I just hope Jax takes the way the Pats approached the game for what it was...a mojor sign of disrepect.
Most on here last week were saying how important a #3 seed was. Now after a loss, everyone changes their tune.

I would have thought having a virtual bye week and playing the 7th or 8th best team in the AFC in the opening round of the playoffs would put the Steeler fans in a good mood.

Cincy has no defense and a QB who was limping pretty badly when I saw him yesterday. They can't beat anyone right now.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey