PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pioli's lousy drafts killing our roster/depth

Status
Not open for further replies.
While I appreciate you attacking Pioli after he and Belichick have brought this organization three championships, I'd be very curious to find out the actual data on each individual team and who really has drafted the best since 2005. This would include the number of players drafted and the percentage of them who are still in the NFL at this point leaguewide.

It's one thing to say they suck. It's another thing to make that kind of statement and not compare it against the rest of the league. After all, how they stack up against the league is what matters, and last I checked prior to this season (and it's still early) they're not too bad. - Ian

Last edited:
Why don't you just give them an F- and get it over with?

2004 NFL DRAFT
1 21(21) Vince Wilfork* DT Miami (FL)
1 32(32) Benjamin Watson TE Georgia
2 31(63) Marquise Hill* DE LSU
3 32(95) Guss Scott S Florida
4 17(113) Dexter Reid S North Carolina
4 32(128) Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas
5 32(164) P.K. Sam* WR Florida St.
7 32(233) Christian Morton CB Illinois

Summary: NONE of the players drafted after the 1st rd are even in the NFL anymore. Wilfork is a pro-bowler while Watson has never truly lived up to the hype. Grade: C+

2005 NFL DRAFT
1 32(32) Logan Mankins OG Fresno St.
3 20(84) Ellis Hobbs CB Iowa St.
3 37(100) Nick Kaczur OT Toledo
4 32(133) James Sanders S Fresno St.
5 34(170) Ryan Claridge OLB UNLV
7 16(230) Matt Cassel QB Southern Cal
7 41(255) Andy Stokes TE William Penn

Summary: Mankins is a pro-bowler while the rest of this cast is nothing special. In fact, this is the kind of draft that a TON of mediocre franchises produce year after year. Grade: C+

2006 NFL DRAFT
1 21 (21) Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
2 4-d (36) Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
3 22 (86) David Thomas, TE, Texas
4 9-b (106) Garret Mills, TE, Tulsa
4 21 (118) Stephen Gostkowski, K, Memphis
5 3-c (136) Ryan O'Callaghan , OT, California
6 22-* (191) Jeremy Mincey, OL/DE, Florida
6 36-* (205) Dan Stevenson, OL, Notre Dame
6 37 (206) Le Kevin Smith, NT, Nebraska
7 21 (209) Willie Andrews, CB/S, Baylor

Summary: In a one word: TERRIBLE. Outside of Gostowski, absolutely awful. Maroney has given us ok production..........if he was a 4th rounder! Not good enough for the #21 pick in the entire draft. If Bobby Grier was drafting like this we would be calling for his job. GRADE: C-

2007 NFL DRAFT:
1 24 (24) Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)
4 28 (127) Kareem Brown DT Miami (FL)
5* 34 (171) Clint Oldenburg OL Colorado State University
6 6 (180) Justin Rogers DE Southern Methodist University
6 28 (202) Mike Richardson CB Notre Dame
6* 34 (208) Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
6* 35 (209) Corey Hilliard T Oklahoma State
7 1 (211) Oscar Lua ILB USC
7* 37 (247) Mike Elgin OL University of Iowa

Summary: The jury is still out on Merriweather and Richardson, but the rest of these guys aren't even in the league nevermind on our team. Again, just another mediocre AT BEST draft. GRADE: INCOMPLETE but heading towards a C or C- AT BEST.

Fellas, you can hoot and holler all you want about trading picks for the Wes Welker's and Randy Moss's of the world and I will agree. That's great. However, there's no denying that Pioli's actual draft picks the last 4 years have been mediocre at best. These guys aren't making an impact in this league on ANY team nevermind our own. So stop with the excuse that our roster is so STACKED that these picks couldn't make our team. They can't make ANY team for cris sakes! We are not getting ANYTHING of significance after the 1st rd with any of these drafts. NOTHING. The days of getting Matt Light, Deion Branch, Tom Brady, Dan Koppen, and Jarvis Green in the middle rounds are long gone. When are people going to stop kissing Pioli's backside and start holding him accountable for these MEDICORE drafts? It's getting old hearing about what a GENIUS he is. He deserved those accolades for his first 3 drafts with the club but he has really fallen off BIG TIME.

Our 2007 draft pick's also yielded us Moss and Welker.
2 great players on our team. good use of our picks imo

Ignore him and he'll go away. Attention seekers always do.

What jury is out on Meriweather? The guy is looking awesome. He's always around the ball or involved in the tackle, and he solved the hands problem that plagues him his rookie year.

You are King Chicken Little. Shouldn't you be in your dark corner known as The Practice Squad with the rest of the crybaby trolls?

If the BB/SP tandem have a losing season or even finish .500, I'll start to b!tch about things like this. But year after year, we get 10+ wins and playoff appearences...they are clearly doing something right.

You're one of a handful of people on this forum who doesn't think

the Patriots draft quite well each year. The rest think every move

the Pats make is above reproach. Up to now, Belichick has been

such a great coach that he has overcome all the bad personnel

moves.

I agree 100% with this post.

I see the troll has returned and is talking out of his ass again.

I see the troll has returned and is talking out of his ass again.

Whats the matter number "deus" , you upset the mean, realistic, non-homer is speaking the truth? I love the bafoons trying to defend some of these poor drafts we have had.

Last edited:
Whats the matter number "deus" , you upset the mean, realistic, non-homer is speaking the truth? I love the bafoons trying to defend some of these poor drafts we have had.

Troll, care to explain who Matt Cassel got an F last night? You have zero credibility after that.

Last edited:
Troll, care to explain who Matt Cassel got an F last night? You have zero credibility after that.

Homer, I have Matt Cassel and F because he is horrible. Poor pocket presence, bad throws, poor reads and holds on to the ball way to long.

I gave the D an A ( even though the are sub-par), the running game an A and the coaching an A last night. Last nights win had little to nothing to do with Cassel, he stinks. He managed to get sacked a bunch of times, and not convert on the many chances he had in the red zone. He will never be anything more than a poor NFL starter.

Last edited:
2004 NFL DRAFT
1 21(21) Vince Wilfork* DT Miami (FL)
1 32(32) Benjamin Watson TE Georgia
2 31(63) Marquise Hill* DE LSU
3 32(95) Guss Scott S Florida
4 17(113) Dexter Reid S North Carolina
4 32(128) Cedric Cobbs RB Arkansas
5 32(164) P.K. Sam* WR Florida St.
7 32(233) Christian Morton CB Illinois

Summary: NONE of the players drafted after the 1st rd are even in the NFL anymore. Wilfork is a pro-bowler while Watson has never truly lived up to the hype. Grade: C+

2005 NFL DRAFT
1 32(32) Logan Mankins OG Fresno St.
3 20(84) Ellis Hobbs CB Iowa St.
3 37(100) Nick Kaczur OT Toledo
4 32(133) James Sanders S Fresno St.
5 34(170) Ryan Claridge OLB UNLV
7 16(230) Matt Cassel QB Southern Cal
7 41(255) Andy Stokes TE William Penn

Summary: Mankins is a pro-bowler while the rest of this cast is nothing special. In fact, this is the kind of draft that a TON of mediocre franchises produce year after year. Grade: C+

2006 NFL DRAFT
1 21 (21) Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
2 4-d (36) Chad Jackson, WR, Florida
3 22 (86) David Thomas, TE, Texas
4 9-b (106) Garret Mills, TE, Tulsa
4 21 (118) Stephen Gostkowski, K, Memphis
5 3-c (136) Ryan O'Callaghan , OT, California
6 22-* (191) Jeremy Mincey, OL/DE, Florida
6 36-* (205) Dan Stevenson, OL, Notre Dame
6 37 (206) Le Kevin Smith, NT, Nebraska
7 21 (209) Willie Andrews, CB/S, Baylor

Summary: In a one word: TERRIBLE. Outside of Gostowski, absolutely awful. Maroney has given us ok production..........if he was a 4th rounder! Not good enough for the #21 pick in the entire draft. If Bobby Grier was drafting like this we would be calling for his job. GRADE: C-

2007 NFL DRAFT:
1 24 (24) Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)
4 28 (127) Kareem Brown DT Miami (FL)
5* 34 (171) Clint Oldenburg OL Colorado State University
6 6 (180) Justin Rogers DE Southern Methodist University
6 28 (202) Mike Richardson CB Notre Dame
6* 34 (208) Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State
6* 35 (209) Corey Hilliard T Oklahoma State
7 1 (211) Oscar Lua ILB USC
7* 37 (247) Mike Elgin OL University of Iowa

Summary: The jury is still out on Merriweather and Richardson, but the rest of these guys aren't even in the league nevermind on our team. Again, just another mediocre AT BEST draft. GRADE: INCOMPLETE but heading towards a C or C- AT BEST.

Fellas, you can hoot and holler all you want about trading picks for the Wes Welker's and Randy Moss's of the world and I will agree. That's great. However, there's no denying that Pioli's actual draft picks the last 4 years have been mediocre at best. These guys aren't making an impact in this league on ANY team nevermind our own. So stop with the excuse that our roster is so STACKED that these picks couldn't make our team. They can't make ANY team for cris sakes! We are not getting ANYTHING of significance after the 1st rd with any of these drafts. NOTHING. The days of getting Matt Light, Deion Branch, Tom Brady, Dan Koppen, and Jarvis Green in the middle rounds are long gone. When are people going to stop kissing Pioli's backside and start holding him accountable for these MEDICORE drafts? It's getting old hearing about what a GENIUS he is. He deserved those accolades for his first 3 drafts with the club but he has really fallen off BIG TIME.

Wow! This is must be what living life after a labotomy is like. You win the award for the dumbest post of the month. After this past month, that is quite an achievement.

Hobbs,Kaczur,Sanders and Cassel are starters or big contributors right now but you only add Mankins?

Mankins has not played that great thus far - Hobbs is playing decent - Sanders may be a starter soon
Cassel has his work cut out but the team is still hanging on at 4-2

2005 was not that bad of a draft
Hobbs is an absolute stud and unerappreciated by most Patriot fans....imo.

Homer, I have Matt Cassel and F because he is horrible. Poor pocket presence, bad throws, poor reads and holds on to the ball way to long.

I gave the D an A ( even though the are sub-par), the running game an A and the coaching an A last night. Last nights win had little to nothing to do with Cassel, he stinks. He managed to get sacked a bunch of times, and not convert on the many chances he had in the red zone. He will never be anything more than a poor NFL starter.

Any idea what Matt stat's were last night?

I mean, Homer or Troll, that seems to be the question. So give us his stats and defend the F. Just spouting off "I have Matt Cassel and F", is weak.

Defend it.

Any idea what Matt stat's were last night?

I mean, Homer or Troll, that seems to be the question. So give us his stats and defend the F. Just spouting off "I have Matt Cassel and F", is weak.

Defend it.

ScottieC,
He has no proof. He is a known Cassel hater. He will continue to state that Cassel is a failure and we should replace him.

Do as others have and add him to your ignore list.

It will save you an argument.

:eek:

Practice Squad time....

I'm probably the only one that will say this is actually a good post. It's the truth. BB and Pioli have had some terrible drafts lately. However, I thought trading up for Chad Jackson was a brilliant move at the time. I thought Maroney was going to be an instant star. Aside from Brady, Samuel and Koppen, the Pats have struggled in mid to late round picks. In fact, their are a lot of wasted picks since 2004. Also, the trading out of picks during the draft have irritated a lot fans when the Pats had the chance to take LB's like David Harris or Lamar Woodley who is tearing it up in Pittsburgh. Also, the result of spygate and the loss of that first round pick is already hurting them. They could have had another DB in the backfield right now.

And National Sports Advisors is right, just because you start, doesn't mean your good.

Last edited:
I'm probably the only one that will say this is actually a good post. It's the truth. BB and Pioli have had some terrible drafts lately. However, I thought trading up for Chad Jackson was a brilliant move at the time. I thought Maroney was going to be an instant star. Aside from Brady, Samuel and Koppen, the Pats have struggled in mid to late round picks. In fact, their are a lot of wasted picks since 2004. Also, the trading out of picks during the draft have irritated a lot fans when the Pats had the chance to take LB's like David Harris or Lamar Woodley who is tearing it up in Pittsburgh.

And National Sports Advisors is right, just because you start, doesn't mean your good.

Ok.....Give us a list of, let's say, 5 teams who've used their draft better than the Patriots in the 2005-2008 drafts. Then, after you've found those 5 teams you think have done a better job, list their average draft position during that time, and let's put that number by each team.

Ok.....Give us a list of, let's say, 5 teams who've used their draft better than the Patriots in the 2005-2008 drafts. Then, after you've found those 5 teams you think have done a better job, list their average draft position during that time, and let's put that number by each team.

sorry, I don't feel like doing that. I don't care about other teams besides the Pats. The facts are, the Pats have had bad drafts.

sorry, I don't feel like doing that. I don't care about other teams besides the Pats. The facts are, the Pats have had bad drafts.

So what you're basically saying is that you're lazy and you flunked vocabulary......

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots