PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pioli's Last 2 Drafts have been Horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is it too early to say we should have taken Tanard Jackson instead of Meriweather?

Bravo!!!!!!

I forgot to add what we netted from those 2 drafts was also a top 10 pick next year and a #3 that looks like an early #3.
But you know, it would be better to suck and point to how much impact our draft picks are having.

Look at Mr. Pioli's superb drafts the last 2 years..........NOT!!! This guy is in a MAJOR SLUMP with our draft picks, my friends. It is Bobby Grier-esque!! We better keep trading draft picks away for the Randy Moss's and Wes Welker's of the world, because we will most likely draft STIFFS if we keep the picks!! You can make excuses all you want folks, but these last two drafts are HORRIBLE. Good thing we lost a #1 pick for spygate. Otherwise, we would just draft another guy that will make NO CONTRIBUTION whatsoever for the first 2 years of their career like Chad Jackson. Ugh!!:mad:

2006 NFL DRAFT
1 21 (21) Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota(DUD)
2 4-d (36) Chad Jackson, WR, Florida(BUST)
3 22 (86) David Thomas, TE, Texas(STIFF)
4 9-b (106) Garret Mills, TE, Tulsa(STIFF)
4 21 (118) Stephen Gostkowski, K, Memphis(GOOD)
5 3-c (136) Ryan O'Callaghan , OT, California(JAG)
6 22-* (191) Jeremy Mincey, OL/DE, Florida(STIFF)
6 36-* (205) Dan Stevenson, OL, Notre Dame(STIFF)
6 37 (206) Le Kevin Smith, NT, Nebraska(STIFF)
7 21 (209) Willie Andrews, CB/S, Baylor(JAG)

I have a different take on the Patriots 2006 NFL Draft:

1 21 (21) Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota (Jury Out)
2 4-d (36) Chad Jackson, WR, Florida (Jury Out)
3 22 (86) David Thomas, TE, Texas (Jury Out)
4 9-b (106) Garret Mills, TE, Tulsa (Should have drafted a linebacker instead)
4 21 (118) Stephen Gostkowski, K, Memphis (Not Bad)
5 3-c (136) Ryan O'Callaghan , OT, California (Backup OL)
6 22-* (191) Jeremy Mincey, OL/DE, Florida (Bust)
6 36-* (205) Dan Stevenson, OL, Notre Dame (Bust)
6 37 (206) Le Kevin Smith, NT, Nebraska (Jury Out)
7 21 (209) Willie Andrews, CB/S, Baylor (Special Teamer)

The only truly questionable selection was Garrett Mills in the fourth round. Linebackers Leon Williams or Tim Dobbins would have been a better choice.

OOPS NSA!:eek:
Looks like you went to far, and you blew your cover before you could really establish yourself.
Looks like repeatedly hating on Lomo would have been a safer route.:rolleyes: At least everyone wouldn't know you were a troll then.

feeding the trolls

Look at Mr. Pioli's superb drafts the last 2 years..........NOT!!! This guy is in a MAJOR SLUMP with our draft picks, my friends. It is Bobby Grier-esque!! We better keep trading draft picks away for the Randy Moss's and Wes Welker's of the world, because we will most likely draft STIFFS if we keep the picks!! You can make excuses all you want folks, but these last two drafts are HORRIBLE. Good thing we lost a #1 pick for spygate. Otherwise, we would just draft another guy that will make NO CONTRIBUTION whatsoever for the first 2 years of their career like Chad Jackson. Ugh!!:mad:

2006 NFL DRAFT

2007 NFL DRAFT
1 24 (24) Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)(JURY OUT)
4 28 (127) Kareem Brown DT Miami (FL)(CUT)
5* 34 (171) Clint Oldenburg OL Colorado State University(JAG)
6 6 (180) Justin Rogers DE Southern Methodist University(JAG)
6 28 (202) Mike Richardson CB Notre Dame(IR)
6* 34 (208) Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State(BUM)
6* 35 (209) Corey Hilliard T Oklahoma State(BUM)
7 1 (211) Oscar Lua ILB USC(BUM)
7* 37 (247) Mike Elgin OL University of Iowa(BUM)
I really believe your a plant,a mole from either the Rats or the Dolts. I just read today that your a Pats fan. Thats pretty hard to believe because I don't remember ever reading anything positive about the team. You sound more like a Troll from NY,Indy,or SD.

Last edited:
This whole thread is insane...How do you say THIS year's class is bad, when it consisted of ONE player taken in the first three rounds.

NSA is basically equating a 2nd and 6th round pick, and saying that there should be the same level of success.

Tom Brady, you do realize, is the exception of the 6th round pick, not the rule.

your last 12 posts have been horrible..........:mad:

Please someone show me ANY TEAM IN THE NFL who has gotten more contributions from the 06 and 07 draft classes so far. And I mean more contributions to SUCCESS. I don't really care how much the Jets or 49er draft classes contributed to their being 2-9 or 3-8.

I don't think the drafts have been very good. In a large part this was because the roster was very talented and it is difficult for a rookie to take a productive veterans spot. But I agree with Jimke that the real price will be paid in 2008 and 2009 when there is less available cap space.

2008 looks to be a rebuilding year on defense, the following players are free agents. Some are starters, some are quality depth but they all have roster spots and all will cost money to keep / replace. BOLD are key players.
http://www.patscap.com/patsfreeagency.html
Tedy Bruschi, LB
Jabar Gaffney, WR
Randall Gay, CB
Larry Izzo, LB
Randy Moss, WR
Mel Mitchell, S
Lonie Paxton, LS
Asante Samuel, CB
Junior Seau, LB
Chad Scott, CB
Eugene Wilson, S

I don't mind, the offense will still kick butt and it will be nice to see some fresh blood. This is natures way of keeping things equal. Can I hear a 19-0? Hell ya.

Draft research
Without a lot of research I tried to compare the draft impact of the 4 teams that made it as far as the Pats in 2006. My gut feel is that all of them have received more production than the Patriots, we can look back in a couple of years to see if this is still the case. The data backs me up.
Bears - 14/16 still on team*
Colts - 16/16 still on team*
Saints - 11/15 still on team*
Patriots - 10/19 still on team*

*on team includes Practice Squad and IR

Data sources
- NFL Rosters http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_current_National_Football_League_team_rosters
- roster breakdown spreadsheet - http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?key=pXWJyKsM-8kvHu8crrTkUZA

Last edited:

2006 NFL DRAFT

2007 NFL DRAFT
1 24 (24) Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)(JURY OUT)
4 28 (127) Kareem Brown DT Miami (FL)(CUT)
5* 34 (171) Clint Oldenburg OL Colorado State University(JAG)
6 6 (180) Justin Rogers DE Southern Methodist University(JAG)
6 28 (202) Mike Richardson CB Notre Dame(IR)
6* 34 (208) Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State(BUM)
6* 35 (209) Corey Hilliard T Oklahoma State(BUM)
7 1 (211) Oscar Lua ILB USC(BUM)
7* 37 (247) Mike Elgin OL University of Iowa(BUM)

The team is 11-0, and is being talked about as one of, if not they, best team ever. How you can say that their last 2 drafts stink is beyond me. They've had 4 first day picks in those two years. That being said, do you really expect 1st, and 2nd year, second day picks to be making this team, or for newbies in general being regulars while they're 11-0? That doesn't eventake into consideration the fact that most of the key draftee's have been sidelined by significant injuries.

You guys covered it pretty well, but had the urge to post. Here are the list of names that National Sports Advisor has trashed in his recent posts:

Richard Seymour: "the most overated player in the NFL".
Post:putting out an APB on AD: He states one is needed on: Teddy Bruschi, Ty Warren, and Richard Seymour.

Most everyone in the sports universe is debating whether this team is the greatest ever. While that is going on, you are trashing young players in their first year, players who got cut and picked up by other teams (how many spots did you think were available for the above described team), and the heart and soul of the team. Do not come to our party when we celebrate and when the time comes, do not post complimentary threads concerning the players you trashed. That is unless you want to be considered a hypocrite.

Do not come to our party when we celebrate and when the time comes, do not post complimentary threads concerning the players you trashed. That is unless you want to be considered a hypocrite.
The mods need to take control of this message board PRONTO!

The team is 11-0, and is being talked about as one of, if not they, best team ever. How you can say that their last 2 drafts stink is beyond me. They've had 4 first day picks in those two years. That being said, do you really expect 1st, and 2nd year, second day picks to be making this team, or for newbies in general being regulars while they're 11-0? That doesn't eventake into consideration the fact that most of the key draftee's have been sidelined by significant injuries.

David Thomas was an unfortunate loss. Are Oscar Lua and Mike Richardson

key draftees? Do most of the Colts draftees make their team every year

because they are a lousy team?

It is a fact that the Pats have not drafted as well as some of the other

teams the past couple of years. Fortunately, they have made up for this

by trading picks for known quantities and signing key free agents. The

down side to this is most of the wide receiver acquisitions are for one

year. The Patriots have ransomed some of the future for success today.

As one of the older members of the forum agewise , I look forward to

another Superbowl trophy.

If you have to have it explained to you why it's stupid, you aren't worth the oxygen.

Well, give him some other gas then. How about carbon monoxide?

Why? Because you disagree with his argument? So do I.
Don't you think his posts/threads have become way over the top?

Richard Seymour overrated
Laurence Maroney overrated
Chad Jackson bust
Adalius Thomas APB
BB/Pioli drafts suck

The above is just a small sample of the outlandish claims by NSA.

Don't you think his posts/threads have become way over the top?

Richard Seymour overrated
Laurence Maroney overrated
Chad Jackson bust
Adalius Thomas APB
BB/Pioli drafts suck

The above is just a small sample of the outlandish claims by NSA.

Yes, I completely disagree with each of his points listed. Exactly what do you want me to do?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes
MORSE: Patriots Mock Draft #5 and Thoughts About Dugger Signing
Matthew Slater Set For New Role With Patriots
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/10: News and Notes
Patriots Draft Rumors: Teams Facing ‘Historic’ Price For Club to Trade Down