PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pioli's Last 2 Drafts have been Horrible!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not sure this uniformed nonsense needs a response, but since I tend to like our style of drafting, here goes.
==================================
2006 - You are waaay off-base

We added four starting quality players to an excellent team.
Maroney may be mediocre, but he is a solid starter for an 11-0 team.
Thomas will be a starting TE. His injuried delayed his development.
Gostkowski will be one of the best. In anycase, he replaced AV with no
reduction in production.
O'Callaghan is capable of starting. It is GREAT that we having four
starting tackles.

We also added a solid backup and a STer
LeKevin can start as needed (the next Wright)
Andrews is an awesome STer and an OK backup safety.

Finally, we added a question mark
Chad Jackson may be nothing or he may be something; we shall see
=======================

2007 - This was an aweful draft class - Let's see how we did. Personally I think we did as we always do. We have some immediate help and some longer term help.

We traded away picks yielding
Moss
Welker to a long tern contract
a 2008 SF first
a 2008 Oakland 3rd

We also have three maybe's
Meriweather, Lua and Richardson
==============================

I'm not sure this uniformed nonsense needs a response, but since I tend to like our style of drafting, here goes.
==================================
2006 - You are waaay off-base

We added four starting quality players to an excellent team.
Maroney may be mediocre, but he is a solid starter for an 11-0 team.
Thomas will be a starting TE. His injuried delayed his development.
Gostkowski will be one of the best. In anycase, he replaced AV with no
reduction in production.
O'Callaghan is capable of starting. It is GREAT that we having four
starting tackles.

We also added a solid backup and a STer
LeKevin can start as needed (the next Wright)
Andrews is an awesome STer and an OK backup safety.

Finally, we added a question mark
Chad Jackson may be nothing or he may be something; we shall see
=======================

2007 - This was an aweful draft class - Let's see how we did. Personally I think we did as we always do. We have some immediate help and some longer term help.

We traded away picks yielding
Moss
Welker to a long tern contract
a 2008 SF first
a 2008 Oakland 3rd

We also have three maybe's
Meriweather, Lua and Richardson
==============================

Excellent analysis. I started posting something similar and liked yours better.

Also, how can you possibly rate last year's draft already? It takes at least 2-3 years to get any reasonable guage on how good a draft REALLY was.

Look at Mr. Pioli's superb drafts the last 2 years..........NOT!!! This guy is in a MAJOR SLUMP with our draft picks, my friends.
Friends? Is this a joke? You have no friends. And no, your mom doesn't count.

11-0, soon to be 19-0.

Three Lombardis in the house and three more with the Pats name on them.

Has there ever been a better time to be a Pats fan? Or a sadder time to hate the Pats?

A moment of silence for National Squirts Advisor.

There is some truth in the post even if it is put together in a troll-like manner. I don't agree with all of your evaluations, but if you had phrased things differently you would have gotten more people to digest what you were serving.

Maroney isn't bad. He's not as great as I would have hoped, but he isn't a bust.

I hold out slim hope for Jackson, but I wouldn't be surprised if he didn't pan out. We don't have a great track record for receivers.

I like David Thomas and Oscar Lua. Neither has proven themselves, but I think they will if they work for it.

I'm concerned that Merriweather seldom sees the field as a DB, but I am not writing him off. We have some pretty good players in front of him.

The rest are pretty much JAGS but I wouldn't call it horrible drafting. They basically traded out of last year's draft as they have so much talent now, they can't get fit many more players. We aren't drafting as well as Indy or Pittsburgh. But we aren't ruining the team with "horrible" drafts. We could do better.

pioli-belichick always had success drafting players... they seem to get impact players especially in the first and second rounds...
based on their success... im disappointed how the last 2 years turned out...
but im not giving up hope on our draft choices...

OP-

Is it possible for you to NOT be a complete knucklehead for just one day? Do you wake up in the morning and just think, how can I be even more of a knucklehead than yesterday? Noone's impressed with your schtick. And if you a day older than 12, Id be extremely dissppointed for you. Relax, man. There's more to life than annoying people on a message board.

Look at Mr. Pioli's superb drafts the last 2 years..........NOT!!! This guy is in a MAJOR SLUMP with our draft picks, my friends. It is Bobby Grier-esque!! We better keep trading draft picks away for the Randy Moss's and Wes Welker's of the world, because we will most likely draft STIFFS if we keep the picks!! You can make excuses all you want folks, but these last two drafts are HORRIBLE. Good thing we lost a #1 pick for spygate. Otherwise, we would just draft another guy that will make NO CONTRIBUTION whatsoever for the first 2 years of their career like Chad Jackson. Ugh!!:mad:

2006 NFL DRAFT
1 21 (21) Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota(DUD)
2 4-d (36) Chad Jackson, WR, Florida(BUST)
3 22 (86) David Thomas, TE, Texas(STIFF)
4 9-b (106) Garret Mills, TE, Tulsa(STIFF)
4 21 (118) Stephen Gostkowski, K, Memphis(GOOD)
5 3-c (136) Ryan O'Callaghan , OT, California(JAG)
6 22-* (191) Jeremy Mincey, OL/DE, Florida(STIFF)
6 36-* (205) Dan Stevenson, OL, Notre Dame(STIFF)
6 37 (206) Le Kevin Smith, NT, Nebraska(STIFF)
7 21 (209) Willie Andrews, CB/S, Baylor(JAG)

2007 NFL DRAFT
1 24 (24) Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)(JURY OUT)
4 28 (127) Kareem Brown DT Miami (FL)(CUT)
5* 34 (171) Clint Oldenburg OL Colorado State University(JAG)
6 6 (180) Justin Rogers DE Southern Methodist University(JAG)
6 28 (202) Mike Richardson CB Notre Dame(IR)
6* 34 (208) Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State(BUM)
6* 35 (209) Corey Hilliard T Oklahoma State(BUM)
7 1 (211) Oscar Lua ILB USC(BUM)
7* 37 (247) Mike Elgin OL University of Iowa(BUM)
For what it's worth, I pretty much agree with your assessment especially
with regard to the 2007 draft. Forgetting the trades, the Pats drafted nine players and only one remains on the 53 man roster. That is a pretty lousy
draft. By contrast, eight of nine draft choices made the Colts with one
on IR. Seven of ten players from 2008 made the team, but only three
players contribute on a regular basis (Maroney,Gostowski and Andrews). O'Callaghan is a backup, Jackson plays a little on special teams, Smith inactive, and Thomas on IR. Not super production from 2006.
The problem with a couple of below average drafts occur a few years
down the road. Who have the Pats drafted to replace Samuel, Gay, Seau,
Bruschi, Gaffney, Moss, and Stallworth should they leave the team?

Last edited:
The truth hurts. We are getting NOTHING out of either of these two drafts outside of a kicker and an AVERAGE running back. That is it. If that's ok with you guys, than MEDIOCRITY says hello in 2 years.:mad:

Alright, then. Hop of the wagon, see you after we win the supebowl.

Last edited:
Hey, people can call me whatever they want. The same people waiting for these guys to emerge are the same crew that kept waiting for Bethel Johnson to emerge. These drafts are garbage. :mad:
Look in the mirror ....NOW you are predicting a nediocre team in two years....you are an idiot. Will you be around in ywo years so the Board can laugh at you??

Maybe Chad Jackson isn't doing so well because there are 4 established veteran receivers in front of him. Just a thought. I wouldn't worry so much about Maroney either. I have a feeling that in the end he'll work out for you just fine.

You have the cause and effect backwards here.

CJ isn't doing well because the are 4 vets in front of him: FALSE

There are 4 vets in front of him because CJ is not doing well: True

with regard to the 2007 draft. Forgetting the trades, the Pats drafted nine players and only one remains on the 53 man roster. That is a pretty lousy
players contribute on a regular basis (Maroney,Gostowski and Andrews). O'Callaghan is a backup, Jackson plays a little on special teams, Smith inactive, and Thomas on IR. Not super production from 2006.

Do you have a link for those numbers or did you research that on your own? Either way, pretty interesting. Although the Pats want to build with vets instead of first and second round players so Welker, for example, doesn't surface in these numbers.

National sports advisers, I'm starting to think you wear that same tinfoil hat while your writing these posts that mangini has in the bang cartoons.

He's revealing himself more and more as a troll.

I think I have figured out Ron Borges' screen name.

After the Pats drafted Wilfork and Watson, he wrote that the selections showed that Graham and Warren were bad picks.

Of course, we all remember how we should have taken Terrell and not Seymour ... and not bothered with Light.

We didnt have room for draft choices on the roster. We had ONE PICK before the 4th round. What exactly do you expect from that draft?
What we got from that draft in addition to Meriweather is Welker, Moss, a #1 next year, and a #3 next year.
Are we complaining because the team is so good and deep that 6th rounders cant make the squad?
Great the Colts have all their guys on the roster. Guess what, they couldnt make our roster.

As far as trashing the 06 draft, that is ridiculous.
Maroney is a starting RB in the NFL and averaging 4.5 yards a rush. I would estimate that is better than 50% of the RBs drafted in the first round this decade by week 12 of year 2.
Chad Jackson did exactly what 90% of round 1 and round 2 WRs did in their rookie years....produce a little, not much. The fact that he was injured has zero impact on the quality of that draft choice.
We got an excellent K in the 4th round. We got a T who made the team and has started in the fifth round. In the 6th and 7th we drafted guys who are game day actives on what may be the best team in NFL history in their 2nd year. In the 3rd round we drafted a TE who had some moments as a rookie with the limited opportunity of playing behind 2 very good former #1s.

To call these 2 drafts horrible is obtuse.

On maybe the best team in NFL history, in the last 2 drafts we have netted:

-2 WRs that will catch over 200 passes with 30 Tds combined.
-Our starting RB
-A WR who is developing at the same pace young WRs always develop.
-A TE who has played, but been injured.
-Special team contributors.
-A very good K.
-a #3 OT
-a rookie s who is contributing on s/t and has a bright future
-2 late picks who are on IR who may help down the road

Please someone show me ANY TEAM IN THE NFL who has gotten more contributions from the 06 and 07 draft classes so far. And I mean more contributions to SUCCESS. I don't really care how much the Jets or 49er draft classes contributed to their being 2-9 or 3-8.

Look at Mr. Pioli's superb drafts the last 2 years..........NOT!!! This guy is in a MAJOR SLUMP with our draft picks, my friends. It is Bobby Grier-esque!! We better keep trading draft picks away for the Randy Moss's and Wes Welker's of the world, because we will most likely draft STIFFS if we keep the picks!! You can make excuses all you want folks, but these last two drafts are HORRIBLE. Good thing we lost a #1 pick for spygate. Otherwise, we would just draft another guy that will make NO CONTRIBUTION whatsoever for the first 2 years of their career like Chad Jackson. Ugh!!:mad:

2006 NFL DRAFT
1 21 (21) Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota(DUD)
2 4-d (36) Chad Jackson, WR, Florida(BUST)
3 22 (86) David Thomas, TE, Texas(STIFF)
4 9-b (106) Garret Mills, TE, Tulsa(STIFF)
4 21 (118) Stephen Gostkowski, K, Memphis(GOOD)
5 3-c (136) Ryan O'Callaghan , OT, California(JAG)
6 22-* (191) Jeremy Mincey, OL/DE, Florida(STIFF)
6 36-* (205) Dan Stevenson, OL, Notre Dame(STIFF)
6 37 (206) Le Kevin Smith, NT, Nebraska(STIFF)
7 21 (209) Willie Andrews, CB/S, Baylor(JAG)

2007 NFL DRAFT
1 24 (24) Brandon Meriweather S Miami (FL)(JURY OUT)
4 28 (127) Kareem Brown DT Miami (FL)(CUT)
5* 34 (171) Clint Oldenburg OL Colorado State University(JAG)
6 6 (180) Justin Rogers DE Southern Methodist University(JAG)
6 28 (202) Mike Richardson CB Notre Dame(IR)
6* 34 (208) Justise Hairston RB Central Connecticut State(BUM)
6* 35 (209) Corey Hilliard T Oklahoma State(BUM)
7 1 (211) Oscar Lua ILB USC(BUM)
7* 37 (247) Mike Elgin OL University of Iowa(BUM)

Go find a new hobby and stop bothering decent folk. Anyone who follows football knows it takes 3 years to evaluate any draft.

We didnt have room for draft choices on the roster. We had ONE PICK before the 4th round. What exactly do you expect from that draft?
What we got from that draft in addition to Meriweather is Welker, Moss, a #1 next year, and a #3 next year.
Are we complaining because the team is so good and deep that 6th rounders cant make the squad?
Great the Colts have all their guys on the roster. Guess what, they couldnt make our roster.

As far as trashing the 06 draft, that is ridiculous.
Maroney is a starting RB in the NFL and averaging 4.5 yards a rush. I would estimate that is better than 50% of the RBs drafted in the first round this decade by week 12 of year 2.
Chad Jackson did exactly what 90% of round 1 and round 2 WRs did in their rookie years....produce a little, not much. The fact that he was injured has zero impact on the quality of that draft choice.
We got an excellent K in the 4th round. We got a T who made the team and has started in the fifth round. In the 6th and 7th we drafted guys who are game day actives on what may be the best team in NFL history in their 2nd year. In the 3rd round we drafted a TE who had some moments as a rookie with the limited opportunity of playing behind 2 very good former #1s.

To call these 2 drafts horrible is obtuse.

On maybe the best team in NFL history, in the last 2 drafts we have netted:

-2 WRs that will catch over 200 passes with 30 Tds combined.
-Our starting RB
-A WR who is developing at the same pace young WRs always develop.
-A TE who has played, but been injured.
-Special team contributors.
-A very good K.
-a #3 OT
-a rookie s who is contributing on s/t and has a bright future
-2 late picks who are on IR who may help down the road

Please someone show me ANY TEAM IN THE NFL who has gotten more contributions from the 06 and 07 draft classes so far. And I mean more contributions to SUCCESS. I don't really care how much the Jets or 49er draft classes contributed to their being 2-9 or 3-8.
Bravo!!!!!!

You have the cause and effect backwards here.

CJ isn't doing well because the are 4 vets in front of him: FALSE

There are 4 vets in front of him because CJ is not doing well: True

Give me a break. Jackson is coming off a torn ACL. And he's got 2 1st rounders and Welker ahead of him. Dont add fuel, man.

Well, I guess we should dump all of our draft picks this year. Pioli does not know what he's doing according to NATIONAL SPORTS ADVISORS.

Do you have a link for those numbers or did you research that on your own? Either way, pretty interesting. Although the Pats want to build with vets instead of first and second round players so Welker, for example, doesn't surface in these numbers.

I think this is true at LB and WR only. Everywhere else, there are very few starting FAs (only Rodney comes to mind).

well you can't really argue that BB and SP dropped the ball when they took Maroney over Addai and when they traded up for Chad Jackson
Sorry but the jury is still out on Laurence Maroney and Chad Jackson. I would wait until the completion of their third season to determine whether these two offensive players are considered busts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes