PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Piling on the Refs

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gumby

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
Just one more datum point in the conspiracy theory.

Exactly when did a TRIPPING become a 15 yard PERSONAL FOUL???

I checked the rule book: see below

While 10 yards would have been enough to stop the drive probably; the referee really wanted to stick it to us on this one. So he made up that it was unsportsmanlike instead of the call that EXACTLY DESCRIBES the penalty. Tripping.

10 Yards
1. Offensive pass interference.
2. Holding, illegal use of hands, arms, or body by offense.
3. Tripping by a member of either team.
4 Helping the runner.
5 Deliberately batting or punching a loose ball.
6 Deliberately kicking a loose ball.
7 Illegal block above the waist.

15 Yards
1. Chop block.
2 Clipping below the waist.
3 Fair catch interference.
4 Illegal crackback block by offense.
5 Piling on.
6 Roughing the kicker.
7 Roughing the passer.
8Twisting, turning, or pulling an opponent by the facemask.
9 Unnecessary roughness.
10 Unsportsmanlike conduct.
11 Delay of game at start of either half.
12 Illegal low block.
13 A tackler using his helmet to butt, spear, or ram an opponent.
14 Any player who uses the top of his helmet unnecessarily.
15 A punter, placekicker, or holder who simulates being roughed by a defensive player.
16 Leaping.
17 Leverage.
18 Any player who removes his helmet after a play while on the field.
19 Taunting.

speaking of horrible refs and 15 yard penalties, after moss' 50+ yard catch he was blatantly speared by a colts player and there was no flag.

They actually called it a leg whip, but it sure looked like a trip to me.

They actually called it a leg whip, but it sure looked like a trip to me.

Yeah, they called in "Personal Foul, Leg whip". I don't disagree with them calling it though. It was blatent and intentional. Thats one call they actually got "right".

Yeah, they called in "Personal Foul, Leg whip". I don't disagree with them calling it though. It was blatent and intentional. Thats one call they actually got "right".

Matty will probably be getting a little notice from the commish any day now asking for his contribution to NFL charities...

If you get a chance, if anyone has the game on DVR, check the 12:51 mark of the second quarter. They just showed a replay of this on NFL Live, and I am pretty sure the defender tackles the intended reciever (Faulk?) at the goal line. I guess that is allowed now too.

Just one more datum point in the conspiracy theory.

Exactly when did a TRIPPING become a 15 yard PERSONAL FOUL???

I checked the rule book: see below

While 10 yards would have been enough to stop the drive probably; the referee really wanted to stick it to us on this one. So he made up that it was unsportsmanlike instead of the call that EXACTLY DESCRIBES the penalty. Tripping.

They are probably going to add another one....exposing the colts as whiners...A million yards

If you get a chance, if anyone has the game on DVR, check the 12:51 mark of the second quarter. They just showed a replay of this on NFL Live, and I am pretty sure the defender tackles the intended reciever (Faulk?) at the goal line. I guess that is allowed now too.
Was NFL Live discussing the officiating during the game, and if so, what were they saying? Or was this just something you noticed incidentally while you were watching the highlights on NFL Live?

Was NFL Live discussing the officiating during the game, and if so, what were they saying? Or was this just something you noticed incidentally while you were watching the highlights on NFL Live?

No they were discussing how Tom Brady was struggling in the first 50 minutes, and they used that play as an example. I had noticed it when I watched the game live, but couldn't remember where it was (I commented on it in the game thread too, but was having trouble finding the post. I thought it was later in the game). Brady was pressured by Freeney I believe, and threw it about two feet in front of Faulk (?). But if I saw correctly, Faulk was literally on the ground because of the defender. I don't know if the pass was tipped (I dont think it was), but if not, then this is just more piling on the Refs awful bag job.

Last edited:

just watched that one, Boiman tackled him as he ran along the goal line BUT the ball bounced short of faulk by a couple of feet so maybe they called it uncatchable....who knows. I thought about making a low-lights video with all the bad calls but A)there's too many and B)too negative, I'll move on.

"A punter, placekicker, or holder who simulates being roughed by a defensive player."

Has anyone ever seen this called?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey