PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pierre Woods will have a bigger impact next year than Jerod Mayo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh Geez, here we go again, another he-hasn't-played-a-down-therefore-there-is-no-basis-to-think-he-won't-be-a-bust-cause-it's-all-a-crap-shoot-and-one-pick-is-as-good-as-another-#1-or#255-are-all-the-same-odds doom-and-gloom post. No one said pro bowl. people have been saying he'll likely start, not pierre woods. No one's ire is raised at you. The snorting you hear is laughter, not anger. Forgive us. If Mayo is cut next year you can tell us I TOLD YOU SO and we will be humble. Until then, :rofl:

I couldn't say I told you so if he's cut because I never told you so.

I said simply that we haven't seen him play a down yet - and somehow people are ready to, as the Tuna would say, put him in the starting lineup if not Canton. I mentioned that our LB positions are among the most difficult to learn and a position veterans even have a lot of problems learning - and you'd think I said the moon is made out of cheese the way people angrily responded to that.

Yet for some reason people already want to declare him a starter or bust. You can't do either - and while one wouldn't think such a statement is controversial, it sure did, and apparently continues to generate a lot of controversy.

Re: Pierre Woods will have a bigger impact next year than Jerrod Mayo

Pierre Woods is 6'5", 250lbs, in the NFL you play til the whistle blows, especially if guys are still trying to pry the ball out of your arms. In a game of this magnitude and what that play could have meant to the football team. "ASSUMING" the play is dead and letting a running back rip the ball out of your hands is totally unacceptable. And the sad thing is that every time I think of Pierre Woods and I'm sure many other people too, the first thing that will come to mind is that particular play.

WOW. Great assumption on your part that Woods just gave up on the play. If that is the only play you think of then your a fair weather fan because that one play doesn't over-ride the other great special teams plays he made during the season. Also, There was a guy on top of him pinning his arms. Its kind of hard to do anything when a 300 lb O-lineman lands on you.

I'd try to talk some sense into you, but there's no point. It would just go in one ear and out the other.

Don't forget about the Doug Gabriel fumble down the sidelines, he was never heard from again..........

Actually, that was the straw that broke the camel's back for Gabriel. Please show me anywhere that Woods has been dogging it in camp and such. I'm pretty sure that Woods won an off-season award last year that was voted on by his teammates.

Woods has been around for a few years now, and has done absolutely NOTHING!! (except somehow get a critical fumble yanked out of his hands).

Woods has done absolutely nothing? I guess you stopped watching the Pats 2 years ago, FTW. Woods had been the best special teams tackler that the Pats have had the last 2 years.

Why suddenly is he going to be a star? What is this based on? Certainly he must have learned "the system" by now (the Chad Jackson/Brandon Merriweather excuses). This is why I hated the Pats draft, unless they can go out and find someone who can rush off the edge, they will still be the team, that was unable to get to Eli Manning not even ONCE during his game winning drive.

You really should learn to read the original post, FTW. Because NO WHERE did the OP say that Woods was going to be a star.

WTF are you talking about in regards to Meriweather and Jackson? Meriweather was a friggin rookie last year. Sorry that our defense was so good that he had 2 other people in front of him. As for Jackson, he was coming on a torn ACL that he suffered in the AFCCG against the Colts. ACLs don't fully heal in 6 months. It takes 12-18 months.

Honestly who is coming off the edge for the Pats?
Vrabel?, no
Thomas?, everyone says he is better at OLB, I think he is better at ILB.

I would much rather see, Thomas and Mayo in the middle, with Bruschi spelling one or the other.

As for the outside, Vrabel is very good at the strong side, but they have NO ONE for that crutical weak side speed rusher.

Now if they could somehow get that guy who spent his summer dancing, and put him on the weakside edge rusher, then I would get excited!

You need to be reminded that Rosie wasn't all that last year from the Weak-side. I think that Thomas, with a full year under his belt, will be a great addition to the OLB spot. Which is his natural spot.

Dabruinz, you keep pointing to Woods ST contributions when the
OP suggests that he could be taking over Outside linebacker so AD could play the middle. This is what I take issue with.
Woods ST play means he is a good ST player but does not mean he can play linebacker. Larry Izzo can't seem to break th starting lb position either.
Maybe that's Woods destiny.

Dabruinz, you keep pointing to Woods ST contributions when the
OP suggests that he could be taking over Outside linebacker so AD could play the middle. This is what I take issue with.
Woods ST play means he is a good ST player but does not mean he can play linebacker. Larry Izzo can't seem to break th starting lb position either.
Maybe that's Woods destiny.

Larry Izzo is about 225 lbs. Woods is 6'5 and 250.

I disagree with the OP that Woods will be the starting OLB. I think he'll see time in rotation and have stated that previously. If Woods and Crable can learn some techniques from Thomas and Vrabel, there there is the slight possibility that Woods and Crable could take their spots in 2-3 years.

Larry Izzo is about 225 lbs. Woods is 6'5 and 250.

I disagree with the OP that Woods will be the starting OLB. I think he'll see time in rotation and have stated that previously. If Woods and Crable can learn some techniques from Thomas and Vrabel, there there is the slight possibility that Woods and Crable could take their spots in 2-3 years.

Fair point.
You know, I guess I take a little umbrage when people suggest a 3 or 4 year guy will take a position over a high pick like Mayo. This may be unfair of me but I like the Pats high round draft choice track record since belioli have taken the reigns.
We need youth and speed in the middle lb spot and better competence in coverage. That is what they went for. If Woods starts over Mayo and is still starting at the end of the season it will mean that Mayo is likely a mistake.
BTW. Where was Woods drafted? Wasn't he fifth or sixth round?

Considering it's football and injuries happen I would say Mayo has a better chance of making an impact immedietely, their seems to be good depth at OLB albiet unproven somewhat and more so because Junior and Bruschi are both on the north side of 30.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Back