PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pierre Woods signs RFA tender

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not really exciting news,Woods has not produced much yet to make us say GRRREEEEAAATTTTT news!! - The only thing is he knows the system,I feel the same way about Alexander but its all we got now so...

No way are the two equal. Alexander is an undersized ST scrub SS converted to an undersized ILB. He is holding a position for the next Pat's LB draftee.

OTOH, Woods is the starting OLB opposite AD at this time, whether you like it or not. He has ideal size for the position, and has very good speed for the position along with a hard-nosed ST attitude. Scouts touted him as a first or second round pick off his sophomore campaign.

Look at the value of the tender offer. And compare it to Alexander's compensation. It is a lot of money for a guy who really has no options, as an RFA.

Oh well, I guess i'am one of the few who actually beleives his own eyes and also beleives in what Belichick and the other coaches actually say. BB complimnets him. Peas says he is a good pass rusher, and as yet off his three starts, he has only sack. Projected over the season, that would be 5-6 sacks per season, fairly typical of what Vrabel or Willie used to contribute, in this defense, from the strongside. On that side you MUST play run defense first. I watch the games on replay. and I see Woods set the edge pretty well. His pass drops are not bad either.

Where are the real people who say IBBWT; and mean it?

If Woods is the Pats starting OLB, WE'RE SCREWED! I fully expect either Crable or a draft pick to start ahead of him. Woods has shown absolutely nothing in his time here, aside from his inability to hold onto a fumble.

What signs are they that Woods is any better today, than he was three years ago? He still can not get to the QB, he still gets absolutely blown off the line of scrimmage. Oh and he can not cover, but other than that, he's great!

If Woods is the Pats starting OLB, WE'RE SCREWED! I fully expect either Crable or a draft pick to start ahead of him. Woods has shown absolutely nothing in his time here, aside from his inability to hold onto a fumble.

What signs are they that Woods is any better today, than he was three years ago? He still can not get to the QB, he still gets absolutely blown off the line of scrimmage. Oh and he can not cover, but other than that, he's great!

3 yrs ago woods was DE now he is a olb. he made a transistion to a new position. i know you think it easy so a late first rounder or a third can do it in a game or 2.
I will provide proof using vince wilfork.He was a DT in colleage and took him 3 yrs to make the transition to NT and 2nd yr to play
yet this rookie at 23 or 34 is going to be better than any rookie in history.

i think its good news that he resigns hes a good ST guy if hes the starter at OLB next yer i think that would be bad news you have to have 4 great LB to play the 3-4 that what makes the 3-4 so good but im not BB so what do i know any ways thats my 2 cents lol:D

3 yrs ago woods was DE now he is a olb. he made a transistion to a new position. i know you think it easy so a late first rounder or a third can do it in a game or 2.
I will provide proof using vince wilfork.He was a DT in colleage and took him 3 yrs to make the transition to NT and 2nd yr to play
yet this rookie at 23 or 34 is going to be better than any rookie in history.

Good observation. It took Tedy 3+ years. It took AD 3+ years, (with the Raverns), and another year here. It took Willie a liitle time too. They were the successes.

In this BB defense, that plays run first all the time. Players no matter how great, will not post league leading sack figures.

Pierre has paid his dues, learning how to play these unusual positions. He is ready. It is extremely unlikely that any rookie DE--> OLB conversion candidate can start year one.

Good observation. It took Tedy 3+ years. It took AD 3+ years, (with the Raverns), and another year here. It took Willie a liitle time too. They were the successes.

In this BB defense, that plays run first all the time. Players no matter how great, will not post league leading sack figures.

Pierre has paid his dues, learning how to play these unusual positions. He is ready. It is extremely unlikely that any rookie DE--> OLB conversion candidate can start year one.

its can take time for a player to go from DE to LB but when the tuna was runing the team tedy was a rookie and the next yer pete carroll toke over and went to a 4-3 and at the time ted johnson was one of the best MLB in the game with willy mac and chris slade at OLB it was the best LB core in the nfl so tedy was not going to play much after BB toke over he went back to the 3-4 and then tedy realy started to play the same thing with AD the ravens whear runing the 4-3 when thay went to the 3-4 he started to play

Last edited:
Where are the real people who say IBBWT; and mean it?
Curled up with our computers muttering about the many calls to draft James Laurinaitis in the first round... :D

Oh well, I guess i'am one of the few who actually beleives his own eyes and also beleives in what Belichick and the other coaches actually say. BB complimnets him. Peas says he is a good pass rusher, and as yet off his three starts, he has only sack.

I'm not sure either way on Woods as a defensive player yet. He is a stud on ST.

One thing I am positive of is there is nothing more meaningless than the public statements of BB and his coaching staff about individual players. He compliments everyone in public. Based on BB's public comments even Duane Starks was performing very well. BB is well know to endlessly praise guys who he just cut. When Rohan Davey was let go BB spent 15 minutes praising him.

You won't find the coaching staff ever saying bad things about any player. A better indication to look at is who they put on the field. To date, Woods has seen limited time at LB but right now he is a starter on the depth chart. If they don't draft a LB on day 1 of the draft it will say more about Woods ability than anything BB or Pees ever said publicly.

Now, you know that many of us have Laurinitis slotted at 34. :)

Curled up with our computers muttering about the many calls to draft James Laurinaitis in the first round... :D

You won't find the coaching staff ever saying bad things about any player. A better indication to look at is who they put on the field. To date, Woods has seen limited time at LB but right now he is a starter on the depth chart. If they don't draft a LB on day 1 of the draft it will say more about Woods ability than anything BB or Pees ever said publicly.
I would not call it limited. when AD played DE,ILB woods was on the field even before injuries. He was the 3rd LB behind AD and vrabel. He was on the field at both the ROLB and LOLB .He is the only one who has experience playing both side other than AD now.

Vrabel did not make any impact other than ST till 26 so from your statement look what a bust he was for the next 5-6yrs of his life in NE.

woods is the other complete OLB we have he is fast,can play the run ,can pass rush and can cover RB/TE. The bigger barometer i use is when colvin went down 2 yrs ago and AD moved Outside look our run defence get shredded in the next few games. did you see the same when woods stepped in ?. i did not we did not have huge issues when he played OLB.ravens ran right at AD all game and jets too. from 85 yds/game we went to 122yds/game .did you see something like that.
RB coming out was covered by him and also remember ty warren went down and wright and woods did a good job as every team tested them.

Last edited:
I would not call it limited. when AD played DE,ILB woods was on the field even before injuries. He was the 3rd LB behind AD and vrabel. He was on the field at both the ROLB and LOLB .He is the only one who has experience playing both side other than AD now.

I believe I read he played roughly 20% of the defensive snaps when he was healthy in 2008. That was far and away the most he has ever played so far in his career so I would guess his career numbers are probably 10% of the snaps or less. I'll stand by my statement that to this point in his career he has played significant time on ST and limited time on defense.

Vrabel did not make any impact other than ST till 26 so from your statement look what a bust he was for the next 5-6yrs of his life in NE.

Did I use the term bust anywhere when referring to Woods? It is pretty hard for a UDFA who becomes one of the team's top special teams player to be a bust.

My point was and remians that what BB says publicly about a player means nothing. He always praises them and never says anything negative. It is what he does, not what he says. If the weekend comes and goes and no day 1 OLB is added it will speak more about what he thinks of Woods than anything he has ever said at a press conference. If he drafts 2 OLBs on Day 1 it would speak volumes the other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes