PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pierre Woods can become a quality starter at OLB

Status
Not open for further replies.
Consider me in the group that fell in love with Woods last year after draft. When we picked him up and started reading about this guy. All i could say was wow this guy has "it".

As long as he cleared up his maturity issues this guy was golden.

This is what Pierre's HS coach (Ted Ginn Sr.) said about his benching:

"Our relationship with Michigan is dead, but Lloyd Carr is the one who's killed it. It's disgraceful."

Also, Pierre Woods was great in 2003, especially in the Rose Bowl, but for some reason he declined/fell out of favor with Carr.

Prescott Burgess was also greeted to a seat for part of the season in favor of Chris Graham.

Disgraceful? Ginn Sr. should look in the mirror. I wouldn't call a college coach taking a risk and benching a senior who was on the verge of a monster year, at the risk of his own w/l record, because he was blowing off IMPORTANT THINGS like school, and engaging in other activities that could potentially ruin his future disgraceful. Carr suffered through a 5 loss season where 4th quarter leads were blown in 7 games by the defense. Yeah, he may have missed Woods JUST a little bit. Yup. Disgraceful putting the kid's future (no, NOT draft status) ahead of wins and losses.

No, Ginn Sr. should turn to the program he sent his son off to play for if he wants to see disgraceful. The way Tressel turned his back on Clarett at the first sign of trouble, and went out of his way to bury that kid is a big reason he's sitting in a jail cell today. Furthermore, Ginn Sr.'s relationship with our program was burned the moment he began using his son and his players as a tool to grandstand to further his own agenda. Sorry, Teddy. We're not going to "make it worth your while" like your homeboy in Columbus.

As for Pierre, on the football topic, BelichickFan brought up my post from the fall. It's pretty much spot on. From what I've heard through Woodley (I haven't talked to Pierre since the fall), Pierre's grown up a lot and is focused on football. If that's true, he can certainly earn a starting spot in the near future. A whole lot of talent there.

EDIT: And Burgess was injured. I believe the Penn State game was the first he didn't start, but he played.

Last edited:
If you think Woods can start at OLB, than let me introduce you to LaMarr Woodley:D

Woodley's a beast. Also, Anthony Spencer is a very good option.

Edit** I see you think Woods will be a better 3-4 OLB than Woodley? Ok, what are you going on? Woodley's college production, speed off the edge, leadership, and play recognition is much better than Woods' Also, Woodley is stout against the run. Really, I think Woodley is on another level. Michigan Dave will even tell you Woodley was the best player on that defense, and he was.

Now you're speaking my language!

lamarrlogo.jpg

You guys need to find a way to keep him another year. I saw that spring game score . Where was the D? :eek:

There was no spring "game." The white team WAS the defense. It was offense v. defense, with the defense able to earn points on a variety of different things. Also, very few "stars" played. Hart, Manningham, Arrington, Grady, Minor, Crable, Jamison, Taylor all were out or played one or two series. The series also began chiefly in the red zone or at the 30. It was a controlled practice.

We haven't had a spring "game" since 1997.

So, Dave, would Woodley be more of a SOLB for us, the strong side that McGinest played and that Vrabel was at before Seau got hurt whereas Woods would be most of the weak side Colvin spot (TBC after Colvin had to move to SOLB) ?

I like Woodley I just think David Harris is much more of a need right now.

There was no spring "game." The white team WAS the defense. It was offense v. defense, with the defense able to earn points on a variety of different things. Also, very few "stars" played. Hart, Manningham, Arrington, Grady, Minor, Crable, Jamison, Taylor all were out or played one or two series. The series also began chiefly in the red zone or at the 30. It was a controlled practice.

We haven't had a spring "game" since 1997.

I saw them making fun of the score on sportscenter and I immediately thought of our resident Wolverine. Thanks for the clear up. I'll sing "Hail to the Victors" 10 times as my Penance.

Last edited:
I saw them making fun of the score on sportscenter and I immediately thought of our resident Wolverine. Thanks for the clear up. I'll sing "Hail to the Victors" 10 times as my Penance.

Yeah, it was a joke of a spring "game." It was cold, and I went because that's what I do. Pretty unenjoyable, and for a guy who lives and breathes Michigan and the Pats, that's pretty big. I mean, running Helmuth and Moundros in the backfield? Ugh.

Disgraceful? Ginn Sr. should look in the mirror. I wouldn't call a college coach taking a risk and benching a senior who was on the verge of a monster year, at the risk of his own w/l record, because he was blowing off IMPORTANT THINGS like school, and engaging in other activities that could potentially ruin his future disgraceful. Carr suffered through a 5 loss season where 4th quarter leads were blown in 7 games by the defense. Yeah, he may have missed Woods JUST a little bit. Yup. Disgraceful putting the kid's future (no, NOT draft status) ahead of wins and losses.

No, Ginn Sr. should turn to the program he sent his son off to play for if he wants to see disgraceful. The way Tressel turned his back on Clarett at the first sign of trouble, and went out of his way to bury that kid is a big reason he's sitting in a jail cell today. Furthermore, Ginn Sr.'s relationship with our program was burned the moment he began using his son and his players as a tool to grandstand to further his own agenda. Sorry, Teddy. We're not going to "make it worth your while" like your homeboy in Columbus.

As for Pierre, on the football topic, BelichickFan brought up my post from the fall. It's pretty much spot on. From what I've heard through Woodley (I haven't talked to Pierre since the fall), Pierre's grown up a lot and is focused on football. If that's true, he can certainly earn a starting spot in the near future. A whole lot of talent there.

EDIT: And Burgess was injured. I believe the Penn State game was the first he didn't start, but he played.

Burgess didn't just miss time because of an injury, Carr gave him a seat.

Edit: He said Burgess wasn't playing very good for awhile, and was bordering on being a bust, until the Notre Dame game (where he picked off Brady Quinn twice).

Last edited:
Side Note: Maurice Clarett and Burgess were best friends, and they planned on going to OSU together, but Burgess changed his mind after Clarett stole his girlfriend.

I haven't seen anything from Woods in the base defense thus far to maek me think he is anything other than a ST demon at this point.
I don't know how you define base defense, but I thought Woods did great when he played LB.

Draft time last year, I had my eye on Mincey (still don't know what happened to him!) as the young LB that might do well. I like Alexander but like Woods better than him or Mays.

What DID happen to Mincey?

I don't know how you define base defense, but I thought Woods did great when he played LB.

Draft time last year, I had my eye on Mincey (still don't know what happened to him!) as the young LB that might do well. I like Alexander but like Woods better than him or Mays.

Funny, on ESPN some of us (myself included) liked Woods, Roach, and Mays, then NE goes out and signs all three. To bad Roach didn't make it. I don't think Roach ever made it with another team, either.

On Mincey: BB said he was making progress, then a little later he waived him. I think NE was going to sign him to their practice squad? Anyways, the 49ers signed him to their practice squad, then Jax signed him to their 53 man roster. He didn't actually see any playing time with Jax, since he never made the sunday active list.

Also, Woods beat him out, and that's the main reason Mincey is gone. NE was going to use Mincey at OLB. He did seem like a good guy, and from what I remember he was busting his butt trying to learn the position.

Last edited:

Mincey was cut because he didn't give it his all in training camp. He took the attitude that he wouldn't have to work as hard because he would be have a whole year to learn the defense before anything was expected from him. Its why he was absolutely SHOCKED when the Patriots cut him. He was totally dumbfounded, yet it was his own words during the interviews that clearly showed that why he was cut.

I thought that Mincey was picked up by the 49ers at one point, but he's now with the Jaguars.

Mincey was cut because he didn't give it his all in training camp. He took the attitude that he wouldn't have to work as hard because he would be have a whole year to learn the defense before anything was expected from him. Its why he was absolutely SHOCKED when the Patriots cut him. He was totally dumbfounded, yet it was his own words during the interviews that clearly showed that why he was cut.
Oh, yeah. I remember that now. Thanks.

Burgess didn't just miss time because of an injury, Carr gave him a seat.

Edit: He said Burgess wasn't playing very good for awhile, and was bordering on being a bust, until the Notre Dame game (where he picked off Brady Quinn twice).

Burgess didn't start the PSU game because of an ankle injury. It ended up holding him out of the Indiana game as well.

The ND game was game #3. I don't know how he could've been "bordering on a bust" after snoozers against Vandy and Central Michigan. He burst onto the spotlight at ND for sure, but 2 INTs, 1 for a TD will do that. He finished 2nd on the team in tackles and INTs. Burgess was fine last year. He was inconsistent in 2005, but not 2006.

Interesting! I remember Mincey's comments, but I never read into them that he hadn't been working hard. I just thought that they showed a tremendous naiveté about how safe his roster spot was. Here's his quote, from a Reiss blog at the time:

"I was shocked," he said. "I felt like it was hard for me to develop and learn the system, and I didn't know they wouldn't give me time. I thought there would be a year of development."

...and Belichick:
"Jeremy worked hard. He's a tough kid," Belichick said. "I have no complaints with his effort, his toughness. He did everything we asked him to do, it just didn't work out."

My impression, then and now, was that Woods just flat beat him out. Woods was the superior athlete, and had a leg up from having played some OLB at Michigan. Mincey didn't look at all comfortable at the position.

Burgess didn't start the PSU game because of an ankle injury. It ended up holding him out of the Indiana game as well.

The ND game was game #3. I don't know how he could've been "bordering on a bust" after snoozers against Vandy and Central Michigan. He burst onto the spotlight at ND for sure, but 2 INTs, 1 for a TD will do that. He finished 2nd on the team in tackles and INTs. Burgess was fine last year. He was inconsistent in 2005, but not 2006.

Yes, he was inconsistant in '05, and then didn't seem all that great to start the '06 season. I know he finished out the season playing good/decent, but he never lived up to the hype. People thought Burgess was going to be one of Michigan's best players, and I can think of a few who were better on that defense.

We're on the same page when it comes to Woodley, though. I really like him, and I have him as the best OLB who should be around for their picks. I almost can't understand why some don't see it. I've also heard the Jets have interest in Woodley, and that would kill me.

Interesting! I remember Mincey's comments, but I never read into them that he hadn't been working hard. I just thought that they showed a tremendous naiveté about how safe his roster spot was. Here's his quote, from a Reiss blog at the time:

"I was shocked," he said. "I felt like it was hard for me to develop and learn the system, and I didn't know they wouldn't give me time. I thought there would be a year of development."

...and Belichick:
"Jeremy worked hard. He's a tough kid," Belichick said. "I have no complaints with his effort, his toughness. He did everything we asked him to do, it just didn't work out."

My impression, then and now, was that Woods just flat beat him out. Woods was the superior athlete, and had a leg up from having played some OLB at Michigan. Mincey didn't look at all comfortable at the position.
Your impression was the same as mine.

Alexander is a good special teamer, but I don't believe he's capable of being a coverage LB in this league. Maybe I am being unfair to him but, he was burned left and right and not just by Dallas Clark. But by players like Aaron Moorehead. So I don't see Alexander as a long-term solution.

Wrong again,in the only game he started he had very good stats of tackles,1 FF and 1 sack.What else do you expect from a first start LB i wonder.

Also, he played the first half too when he had good safety help in sanders and hawkins and manning scored 6 points.The drop off started with baker in safety and another guy i have never heard off. a ILB in 3-4 is bigger and need safety help for coverage .He is not a 220 LB Cata June to run like him.
I think he is going to be a good starter for us.He has learned the system and put on 15 lbs of muscle as required by the coaches to play ILB in our system but heck you want to trash him because he is not light and fast.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/25: News and Notes
Patriots Kraft ‘Involved’ In Decision Making?  Zolak Says That’s Not the Case
MORSE: Final First Round Patriots Mock Draft
Slow Starts: Stark Contrast as Patriots Ponder Which Top QB To Draft
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/24: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/23: News and Notes
MORSE: Final 7 Round Patriots Mock Draft, Matthew Slater News
Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
Back