PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pictures of Matt Cassel seen after the game immediately applying for a new job

Status
Not open for further replies.
Chris Simms?

um...

Fine, you win. Let's keep Cassel. :rolleyes:

I'm with you. I would be ok with Huard, who already has played in their system, but I doubt he'll be available. There's got to be a better option than Simms, but alot of posters on here seem to think he's great. Not sure I understand where they got that idea:confused:

walmart-005.jpg

Sad to see him go :(,Hope he does not screw this job up - Keep those cart wheels oiled well Matt,you are looking good out there!!

I'm offended by this.......I went to 9 years of high school, and worked really hard, got promoted to cart collector after 6 years with WM.....:rolleyes:

I'm offended by this.......I went to 9 years of high school, and worked really hard, got promoted to cart collector after 6 years with WM.....:rolleyes:

LOL :rofl:

Glad to see there is someone with a sense of humor in here

walmart-005.jpg

Sad to see him go :(,Hope he does not screw this job up - Keep those cart wheels oiled well Matt,you are looking good out there!!

Not funny. He's not going anywhere.

Not funny. He's not going anywhere.

Unfortunately I really think you may be right,Its too bad Gutierrez didn't play like a guy wanting the #2 spot - in fact its sad because I think he would be better in a game situation but he may be the odd man out here if you want to go by the odds of getting cut

In a best case scenerio,Cassel is gone anyway soon after February

Unfortunately I really think you may be right,Its too bad Gutierrez didn't play like a guy wanting the #2 spot - in fact its sad because I think he would be better in a game situation but he may be the odd man out here if you want to go by the odds of getting cut

In a best case scenerio,Cassel is gone anyway soon after February

I think it's clear to the organization that they have to do something with the Back Up QB position, that was evident in the draft with picking O'Connell so high.

However, I think it's become more evident over the past few months that our dependency on Brady's health and what he brings to the team when he's on the field is immeasurable. He's the glue. Not like we did not know that before, but I don't think that such a bright spotlight has been lit on the problem in the past.

I think that 2007, while a great year for Tom was the worst possible scenario for Matt - Last year he should have gotten more playing time and I disagree with Bill pulling him from that Dolphins game after a INT. Hell, no one wants to do poorly, but we will all screw up from time to time and we need encouragement - That was not encouragement.

2007 was bad for Cassell because of all the records that the team was chasing. If Tom's 50 TD record was not there, would Cassell had got the nod late in games (and early in some blowouts) more often, yes. If 16-0 was not a priority would Cassell had come in and played the majority of the games after we clinched Play-off and Home field, Yes.

Now, I don't know if Matt would be any better for that experience, but it could not hurt, could it?

The other side of the argument is that he's been around a while, he's played behind a first ballot HOF QB and has some of the most deadly NFL weapons in the league to throw at, so why is he stinking it up so much? I don't know, but I'm sure a lot of it has to do with confidence and his own perceived margin of error that will get him canned off the team, fear does not seem to motivate Matt.

I am astounded that supposed Patriots fans here pay so little attention to HC Belichick's QB criteria. Suggesting a Culpepper as a backup indicates total inattention to what BB looks for in a QB, reading a D and taking what's given, decision making under duress, and managing the game vs on-field heroics.

These fans look at the admitedly poor performances of the backups and throw all caution and reason to the winds, adopting a mediot analysist's solution. Sad that folks have learned absolutely nothing about this team's management decision making style.

Last edited:
Hes not gonna get cut IMO unless the team picks up a vet qb. Cassel is the best qb on the roster behind Brady.
Like Brady was the best qb on the roster behind Bledsoe?

Let's face it, if Brady isn't the quarterback, the Patriots as we know them, cease to exist,
Oh, Jeez. You think our team is that bad? People said the same thing when Bledsoe went down, and when Milloy was cut.

Brady is great, but he is not the team.

The strength of the wolf is in the pack.

I am astounded that supposed Patriots fans here pay so little attention to HC Belichick's QB criteria. Suggesting a Culpepper as a backup indicates total inattention to what BB looks for in a QB, reading a D and taking what's given, decision making under duress, and managing the game vs on-field heroics.

These fans look at the admitedly poor performances of the backups and throw all caution and reason to the winds, adopting a mediot analysist's solution. Sad that folks have learned absolutely nothing about this team's management decision making style.
Two words: FANTASY FOOTBALL.

It has changed the way most fans think about the game. For the masses, it turned players into interchangable units who are what their stats say they are, nothing more, nothing less.

That is why we hear: "How will we replace the 8 sacks WMG provided?" or "We lost 15 TDs a game when Givens and Branch left" and other comments that imply that we must replace a departing player with a player of the same mold with the same stats.

And that is why for fans and mediots alike, JT O'Sullivan will turn into a superstar this year. Under Martz he will have terrific stats.

No one considers matching the player to the system, though BB and SP mention this every time they are interviewed about personnel decisions.

No one sees sound decision making and evecution that goes unrewarded or turns bad because of things that happen beyond the control of the player, and everyone seems to give undue credit when a player in hte wrong position, or who makes a bad decision, has things turn out to have a fortunate result.

Sorry for the rant, but I think Fantasy Football does turns fans into the fan equivalent of a Dan Synder-type owner.

From what I've seen (stat wise... none of the preseason games are on cable down here), it looks like Gut and O'Connell both had better preseasons than Cassell.

From what I've seen (stat wise... none of the preseason games are on cable down here), it looks like Gut and O'Connell both had better preseasons than Cassell.

That's the problem with looking at stats in preseason. The competition they faced was apples and oranges. Against the second teamers last night Gut had 3 consecutive three and outs. He fared better (as did CJ) against the impending burger flippers.

They aren't mutually exclusive--every elite QB I can think of has tons of ability to improvise. Granted, Culpepper would seem to be a bad fit here in terms of style of play. But exactly what are Belichick's "QB Criteria?" Being smart? sure Game mgmt? sure Playing within youself? yea Having game experience and being able to lead a team? I would hope so. That would rule out all of our current backups

They aren't mutually exclusive--every elite QB I can think of has tons of ability to improvise. Granted, Culpepper would seem to be a bad fit here in terms of style of play. But exactly what are Belichick's "QB Criteria?" Being smart? sure Game mgmt? sure Playing within youself? yea Having game experience and being able to lead a team? I would hope so. That would rule out all of our current backups

You're new here. Try reading Patriots Reign. Belioli wrote a book on what the QB of the NEP needed to be - before they drafted Brady. Just so happens he turned out to be the living embodiment of what they outlined - Culpepper is it's anthesis, the thoughtless gunslinger. When they promoted Brady over the much more experienced Huard in 2001 he had less than a handful of snaps in 1 pre season. When they made the decision to stick with him he was starting his 8th game and 5-3 coming off a loss to St. Louis (after which the Bledsoe-krishnas were out in force demanding his reinstatement) in which they determined he showed them the poise and composure to hang with the best team in the NFC without making the kind of repeated mental mistakes born of frustration or arrogance that they simply cannot tolerate in a QB playing here.

Where the heck is Testverde?

You're new here. Try reading Patriots Reign. Belioli wrote a book on what the QB of the NEP needed to be - before they drafted Brady. Just so happens he turned out to be the living embodiment of what they outlined - Culpepper is it's anthesis, the thoughtless gunslinger. When they promoted Brady over the much more experienced Huard in 2001 he had less than a handful of snaps in 1 pre season. When they made the decision to stick with him he was starting his 8th game and 5-3 coming off a loss to St. Louis (after which the Bledsoe-krishnas were out in force demanding his reinstatement) in which they determined he showed them the poise and composure to hang with the best team in the NFC without making the kind of repeated mental mistakes born of frustration or arrogance that they simply cannot tolerate in a QB playing here.

Yea I hear it's a good read. Overall I agree, but don't recall my post saying that the Pats are even considering Culpepper. And what do the "Bledsoe-krishnas" have to do with Matt Cassell or Gutierrez? Is there really an argument that one of them might someday be in the league of TB?

In 4 preseason games, experienced Cassel could not score 1 TD even though he has been here for 4 years.It speaks for itself.

I like O'neal because he SHOWED.

Yea I hear it's a good read. Overall I agree, but don't recall my post saying that the Pats are even considering Culpepper. And what do the "Bledsoe-krishnas" have to do with Matt Cassell or Gutierrez? Is there really an argument that one of them might someday be in the league of TB?

No. He was referring you to read "Patriot Reign" which outlines BB's QB criteria and approach. Improvising isn't on the list; it's the antithetis of why BB picks QBs. Bledsoe is an example.

Last edited:
No. He was referring you to read "Patriot Reign" which outlines BB's QB criteria and approach. Improvising isn't on the list; it's the antithetis of why BB picks QBs. Bledsoe is an example.

And if you watch SB36 highlights, you will see Weis tell Tom to be careful, don't make any rash throws, and we will play for OT if we have too. Bledsoe then told Tom, sling it baby (or words to that effect).....

In 4 preseason games, experienced Cassel could not score 1 TD even though he has been here for 4 years.It speaks for itself.

I like O'neal because he SHOWED.

O'Neal is great...As a force in the NBA,Great center,but what has this got to do with Shaquille?

We do have an O'CONNELL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bruschi’s Proudest Moment: Former LB Speaks to MusketFire’s Marshall in Recent Interview
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/22: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-21, Kraft-Belichick, A.J. Brown Trade?
MORSE: Patriots Draft Needs and Draft Related Info
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/19: News and Notes
TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Back