PatsFans.com Menu
PatsFans.com - The Hub For New England Patriots Fans

Pictures from our fire.

Status
Not open for further replies.

NovaScotiaPatsFan

In the Starting Line-Up
Reaction score
A family friend took some pictures of the aftermath of the fire we had, I figured you guys might want to check them out.

The green building thats still standing is our house, the destroyed building was our business, a body shop. The other building to the left of our shop is a neighbor's garage, as you can see the side facing the shop and the roof got burnt. Pic #4 is what's left of the inside of the car in pic #1

fire_01.jpg

fire_02.jpg

fire_03.jpg

fire_04.jpg

I hope you'll forgive the irreverence, but at times like these my feeling is one can only be glad no one lost their life, and try cheer one's self up accordingly.

So with that as a premise, consider this my entry for the biggest understatement of the year:

"Dude... My dad's a TV repairman and has an AWESOME set of tools....I can fix it!"

(name the movie)

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
Pic #4 is what's left of the inside of the car QUOTE]

I'll trade you my car for that one! (Hope you don't mind some levity at this point.)

Damn, Nova, so sorry for your loss! Hope the insurance takes care of you.

Very lucky....really VERY...Thanks for showing us what happened...pretty sad..but no loss of life..it's a wonder something in the body shop didn't spread it quick..chemical wise or otherwise...

Hang Tough NSPF!!!

JoeSixPat said:
I hope you'll forgive the irreverence, but at times like these my feeling is one can only be glad no one lost their life, and try cheer one's self up accordingly.

So with that as a premise, consider this my entry for the biggest understatement of the year:

"Dude... My dad's a TV repairman and has an AWESOME set of tools....I can fix it!"

(name the movie)

Jeff Spicoli, Fast Times at Ridgemont High

NSPF-sorry about the fire, I gald that everyone is OK. I see a "Beware of the Dog" sign, I know that you saved your cat, how is the dog?

p.s. did you have to make any calls to customers that sounded like this......
I have good news and bad news, the good news is that your transmission isn't shot you just needed some more transmission fuild, the bad news is......

Hmmmm, I don't have access to all my pics right now, so I dunno if I can find a before pic.

And the customer's respective insurance companies took care of them.

Here's a video of the shop and the damage inside the house.

http://media.putfile.com/Fire-Damage

Oh yeah and the dog is alright. I hate the damn thing but at least it gives my father something to complain about. And the sign says "Beware of dog, he's small but he knows kung fu."

Also, I have a problem. I'm living at our summer home in the country right now. The problem I have is we have well water which we can't drink and it's a real pain having to have water brought up from the city or buying water when we don't really have the money to do so. Does anyone know of an inexpensive device that could purify it? I seem to recall when water becomes steam it's pure so if I had a way to catch the steam in to a container that would work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
Nova, how bad is the problem with the well water? Will boiling the water be enough? Are there any springs near your country place? When we're up in Cape Breton during the summer, we always go over to a local spring and fetch our own drinking water. We have a problem with gypsum.
We've used the Brita purifying system with some success.

See, I don't know if the water is drinkable or not, we have no way to test it. But I don't want to find out the hard way it isn't.

NSPF -
I may have missed it, but what did they determine was the cause of the fire?

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
Hmmmm, I don't have access to all my pics right now, so I dunno if I can find a before pic.

And the customer's respective insurance companies took care of them.

Here's a video of the shop and the damage inside the house.

http://media.putfile.com/Fire-Damage

Oh yeah and the dog is alright. I hate the damn thing but at least it gives my father something to complain about. And the sign says "Beware of dog, he's small but he knows kung fu."

Also, I have a problem. I'm living at our summer home in the country right now. The problem I have is we have well water which we can't drink and it's a real pain having to have water brought up from the city or buying water when we don't really have the money to do so. Does anyone know of an inexpensive device that could purify it? I seem to recall when water becomes steam it's pure so if I had a way to catch the steam in to a container that would work.

Does anyone have any ideas?

You can get a BRITA or PUR water filter system for like $35. All you do is pour the unpuirfied water in the top, let it filter through, and then, VIOLA, pure filtered water at the bottom.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
See, I don't know if the water is drinkable or not, we have no way to test it. But I don't want to find out the hard way it isn't.

All you have to do is boil the water, then. That should kill off most of the bacteria. If you are worried about contamination from pesticides or something, then you need to hire a professional to come in and have it tested.

we think there's dirt in the water too, it looks kind of brown, I don't imagine boiling would fix that would it?

And I have a Brita filter, but they don't give you much water before they become ineffective.

You might try calling the local town hall or whatever and see if there is an agency that will test it for free. In Mass. the County Extension Service does. I think in ME someone does as well.

jczxohn1 said:
You might try calling the local town hall or whatever and see if there is an agency that will test it for free. In Mass. the County Extension Service does. I think in ME someone does as well.

Not a bad idea John. And since NSPF lives in Canada, they probably DO test for free.

Brita filters are crap. Calling a Brita filter a "purifier" is like calling a make-up artist a "cosmetic surgeon". :)

Katadyn has some very well respected "survival" oriented solutions, for short term at least. You can order them all over the place, like Cabela's, ranging from Drinking Water Tablets to multiple use purfier bottles, to very good hand pump filter systems. You can see the whole range of them here: http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/common/search/search-results1.jsp?QueryText=water+filter&N=4887&Ntk=Products&Ntx=mode+matchall&Nty=1&Ntt=water+filter&noImage=0 These are all (I believe) geared towards eliminating bio-hazards from the water... bacteria, viruses, cryptosporidium, etc.. which is the main concern with for short term use. Long term use you need to worry about other stuff like toxins, mercury, gypsum and the like, and I have no idea if these are right for anything like that.

Maine's foremost air & water expert happens to be a client of mine, I'd be glad to give him a call for you and see what he suggests if you like.

Another thing to consider is that many grocery stores now have Reverse Osmosis (along with UV treated) water dispensers in the store. I figure if we have them in the stores in Northern Maine, you probably have some up there. They're pretty cheap, usually like a buck for a gallon. You just bring in whatever containers you have, shove your money in the machine and it dispenses into whatever ya got. And there's no better water than Reverse Osmosis water.

T-ShirtDynasty said:
Maine's foremost air & water expert happens to be a client of mine, I'd be glad to give him a call for you and see what he suggests if you like.
T-Shirt that would be very cool.

Basically so you can tell him, we have well and the water comes strait from that.

NovaScotiaPatsFan said:
T-Shirt that would be very cool.

Basically so you can tell him, we have well and the water comes strait from that.
Will give him a call and zip you a PM tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRANSCRIPT: Eliot Wolf’s Pre-Draft Press Conference 4/18/24
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/18: News and Notes
Wednesday Patriots Notebook 4/17: News and Notes
Tuesday Patriots Notebook 4/16: News and Notes
Monday Patriots Notebook 4/15: News and Notes
Patriots News 4-14, Mock Draft 3.0, Gilmore, Law Rally For Bill 
Potential Patriot: Boston Globe’s Price Talks to Georgia WR McConkey
Friday Patriots Notebook 4/12: News and Notes
Not a First Round Pick? Hoge Doubles Down on Maye
Thursday Patriots Notebook 4/11: News and Notes